Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elio

Spyder Garage

Default Elio

Has anybody seen/heard of this? https://www.eliomotors.com/
    Elio.jpg

According to their website, it's MPG is 84 and made in Shreveport, LA (on the previously GM truck factory). Production line comes out in 2014 and reservations are made with a $1000 deposit to be one of the first ones to own one.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We were kicking them around in the "Off-Topic" area about a week ago...
    They're the $7000, 84 mpg buggy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yea, It's been posted on Spyderlovers and most other M/C forums, One press release mentioned a price of
    68 hundred, Hard to even get a starter bike for that price, Only time will tell [2014] ?
    There was a few trikes like that over the years ,The Sparrow comes to mind.

Also theres the Stallion thats out now at 30 + grand.
    Last edited by boborgera; 01-11-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

As mentioned above, there is another thread covering this in a lot of detail. I think it was titled "Spyders new partner".

Bottom line: I don't think the numbers work out very good ($6,800) retail. No production has been made, they are playing around with a prototype. Deposits made a year and a half in advance are no guarantee that the product will be produced, will end up with the price offered, or anything like that. The chances of getting your money back if a failure ensues, IMO, is slim and none.

There have been other products like that which have failed early on and left the investors high and dry.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I went through all of this with the Aptera. It was going to cost in the mid $20k and be a similar but cooler looking vehicle. I got my money back and they disappeared.

While I would hope they could pull this off I don't see how the numbers could possibly work out. I doubt that you could buy a 3 cylinder 100 hp engine only for $7k retail never mind the rest of the vehicle.

I will be the first one to buy one when they can deliver them at this price.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

snake oil sales pitch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Has anybody seen/heard of this? https://www.eliomotors.com/
    Elio.jpg

According to their website, it's MPG is 84 and made in Shreveport, LA (on the previously GM truck factory). Production line comes out in 2014 and reservations are made with a $1000 deposit to be one of the first ones to own one.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...081#post557081
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Spyder Garage

RE: the bridge: It,s there for all to see and test drive. I would not mind having that for my own. Specially at $1,000.00

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: the bridge: It,s there for all to see and test drive. I would not mind having that for my own. Specially at $1,000.00
    Can't,.....
    My Grandfather bought it in 1929, And i still have the deed, Make me an offer.

Spyder Garage

Our local news in Detroit just had it on the 5 o'clock news!

http://m.clickondetroit.com/Business...z/-/index.html

Spyder Garage

Thanks Rando for supplying the news report video. Looks and sounds interesting.

I went to the "official" webstie via the link. It has not changed much from a few months ago. I urge everyone to read each page and click every question/answer offered.

Much is said by what they are not saying. There are a lot of promises being made, but I am not seeing any back up proof.

84 miles per gallon sounds wonderful. But is it feasible?

$6,800 sounds too good to be true--so-- time will tell where that is going.

Who is making the engine--we'll tell you later.

They are going to put 1500 people to work building the new car. At $40,000 per year or so plus benefits--that's $60 million before benefits. Manufacturing equipment--$ Unknown. Overhead--$ Unknown. Great big start up costs. They are going to need a lot of people to sign up with deposits at the $1,000 level to finance the place. It will take 60,000 people investing at $1,000 just to make basic payroll. Do you think they can produce 60,000 of the Elio in one year?

I am considered quite conservative--so would not be putting down a deposit until I can go to my local dealer, see the vehicle in person and kick some tires.

I see more questions than answers. JMHO.

I recommend enjoying the subject--but hang on to your money for now.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-11-2013 at 06:54 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Elio tour

They started their prototype tour this past week in Shreveport, LA. This coming Tuesday and Wednesday they will be at Stacy Park in Olivette, MO near St. Louis.

Any chance any of you near St. Louis can make it to this event and give us a report? I'm sure it would be awesome if a bunch of Spyders could show up and steal the show! LOL.

Tuesday 3-7 is for Elio reservationists only.
    Wednesday 11-7 is for everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rando; 05-12-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

To this point, I have said quite a lot about the Elio in this and previous threads.

I am now sitting back and giving them the chance to put their money where their advertising is. I do hope I am wrong, and those that have put down deposits get the vehicle they are looking for.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-13-2013 at 02:13 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Check out the impressive suppliers list. Too bad they didn't go with Elka shocks.

http://www.eliomotors.com/suppliers/

Spyder Garage

Elio St. Louis Preview Tour Stop!

Hello Elio Reservationists!

We have two locations planned for this week! The first is St. Louis on Tuesday the 14th and Wednesday the 15th at Stacy Park, 9750 Old Bonhomme Rd, Olivette, MO 63132. Reservationists are welcome for a private reveal from 3-7pm on Tuesday and the general public is welcome all day on Wednesday from 11am – 7 pm.

If you cannot make the Tuesday time, please feel free to come by on Wednesday for our public event that will be at the park from 11:00am through 7:00pm. If you want, come both days!

We will have a registration table that you will need to have the email address that you reserved your vehicle with and we will handle the rest!

Please join us and come see the newest vehicle styling!

The tour will continue Thursday and Friday in Kansas City (5/16-17) (details to follow this afternoon!) and move to Minneapolis next week! Details for Minnesota will come this weekend, but the format will be the same – Private event for reservationists the first day in the afternoon and public reveal on day two.

The reservationist private showing is for all levels, from Gotta Have It through This is Cool, I’m In!

We look forward to seeing you there!

The Elio Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Waiting to see what happens at this event...
    I wish them the best of luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they are going to be in KC, I'd love to see it, but I'd have to take a day to drive over there to see it and back. Any KC Spyder Ryders that are able to report?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    I went through all of this with the Aptera. It was going to cost in the mid $20k and be a similar but cooler looking vehicle. I got my money back and they disappeared.

While I would hope they could pull this off I don't see how the numbers could possibly work out. I doubt that you could buy a 3 cylinder 100 hp engine only for $7k retail never mind the rest of the vehicle.

I will be the first one to buy one when they can deliver them at this price.
    briggs and stratton (maybe 10 hp not 100 hp) must be a misprint. remember---- not responsible for misprints!!!

Spyder Garage

Default A very negative article about the Elio!

Spyder Garage

I'm BACK

The negative article posted above has some good talking points. Caveat Emptor!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I'm BACK

The negative article posted above has some good talking points. Caveat Emptor!
    Thanks Randy for the forward… Wow is all we can say. Helmets, there are seven states that currently have to have helmets in our vehicle, one is voting today (LA) and we are working with the others to help them with their legislation. I believe that answers his second and third points. The first point is nonsensical, in order to get to where we are with the suppliers it has taken years of contact, discussion and negotiations to make happen. He obviously has no idea what takes place on this side of the business. The rest is simply opinion that has no basis in fact.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, unfortunately many people will read this and not do their research and believe it.

Thanks again for the link, Randy!
    The Elio Team
    Last edited by Rando; 05-14-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Looks like there is a Elio forum that has discovered that the Spyder trailer might be a good fit for the Elio! Interresting comments for sure!

http://www.elioclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47

Spyder Garage

I really will stay out of the discussion further. I have done my research on the product and feel the statements that I have made have only been to warn those who are considering a pre-production deposit. You will note: my title is Consumer Advocate, and that is where I tend to lean most of the time.

I note that one of their showings is going to be in Minnesota. When I lived there, there were a couple of companies that promised that they were going to open up and hire a thousand people or so, if they would get help with financing from the good State of Minnesota. One was a motor home company--they were going to buy the rights from GMC to continue producing the GMC motorhome. The owner of that venture was wined and dined and paraded about by the City of Duluth for a couple years, and then he was gone. Another was a medical technology company--which turned out to be a large hoax. They were using fake inventory numbers to inflate their balance sheets. I do not know if Elio is looking for state financing or just showing off the product--so that part is open.

I have even stated that I hope I am wrong. I do hope those who have put down deposits get their Elio's when promised, at the price promised, and get the mileage that is being promised. I also hope they receive the consumer support necessary to keep their vehicles running and trouble free.

I will look forward to hearing reports from happy Elio owners when they start hitting the market.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage