Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smorelock View Post
    I installed BRP Bluetooth dongle on my 2010 spyder works good. Only two problems you have to disconnect power cord while driving if you leave the power cord in it stops working. The other thing is it cuts out but I think it is interference from radar detectors.
    I have the G4 headsets

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Go buy Sena headsets your issues will go away I had a TON of weirdness issues with SM10 and G4 headsets. Luckily my G4 got killed by rain so I wS forced to make a change. Much happier now.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

OK....new Spyder owner here trying to figure out what functionality the dongle provides. I am already using a Sena SMH 10 in my helmet and pair it to my iphone via bluetooth. Does the Can-Am dongle provide any more functionality other than radio? Or is that it?

Spyder Garage

Depends on what you have on the bike. The bluetooth dongle provides access to the radio, ipod (with better control using the buttons on the left grip and the bike screen) and gps.

You would be better off to buy the SM-10 from Sena rather than the BRP kit though. The wiring harness BRP provides flat out does not work well at all. Very poor design and I ended up returning it and using the straight Sena dongle.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Depends on what you have on the bike. The bluetooth dongle provides access to the radio, ipod (with better control using the buttons on the left grip and the bike screen) and gps.

You would be better off to buy the SM-10 from Sena rather than the BRP kit though. The wiring harness BRP provides flat out does not work well at all. Very poor design and I ended up returning it and using the straight Sena dongle.
    How does the Sena dongle work? Where does it plug in?
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

If functions as another bluetooth connection point. As previously pointed out, it extends the functionality of the on board features (ipod). I have one on my bike. Since we live close, we can coordinate a meeting and you can look at how I have mine installed.

Also, it can be a bit of a challenge to get everything to pair up as you want it to do so. Here is a link to a suggest method of pairing multiple devices:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...off-senna.html

It is the second post. I used this to pair my phone, SMH10 to the dongle. The only problem that I have is I am unable to hear turn by turn navigation via the phone. Not a big issue for me.

Also, here is a link to a DIY wiring harness that can be use to plug the dongle into the stock wiring harness.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

I ended up purchasing the wiring kit.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    How does the Sena dongle work? Where does it plug in?
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Yes the interface/bridging/ what ever you want to call it din style cable is available direct from SENA. Yes you need this to connect the SM10 to the onboard audio. This then connects via BT to the SMH10 which will give you intercom/gps/phone and onboard audio (if fitted) All BRP has done is get a package from a third party, have it branded by them with their logo and sell it as a product with their logo on it and charge a crap load more for it. This package is not available from OZ BRP dealers. In OZ we have no choice but to either import the whole BRP system from the US or go straight to the horses head and get it via our SENA importers here in OZ. Unfortunately still waiting for the package to arrive via the SENA reseller here in OZ.

Robby
    That is my understanding as well. When they first came out, my dealer and I looked into what made the BRP system so expensive. It was that little cable you refer to. And it can not be bought separately. BRP has us by the proverbial b*lls on this.

Nevertheless, my 2012 limited is in the shop for it's 14,000 service. While it's there, I'm having a couple farkles the wife bought me installed.

And I'm biting the bullet, and spending the extra money for the stupid cable.

My understanding is that my wife and I can listen to the ipod, radio, gps, and phone calls.

And best of all, she can now control her own volume.
    Last edited by FlaBound; 03-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default CB removal

So with all this, I still have a question. My 2012 RT has a cb. It doesn't work worth a damm and never has. I would like to install the Sena system. I can see that the dongle harness goes where the cb harness goes in the radio. I have no problem not having a cb. My question is do I have to remove the cb module or can I just unplug it from the radio? I will make my own dongle harness.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brrujo View Post
    So with all this, I still have a question. My 2012 RT has a cb. It doesn't work worth a damm and never has. I would like to install the Sena system. I can see that the dongle harness goes where the cb harness goes in the radio. I have no problem not having a cb. My question is do I have to remove the cb module or can I just unplug it from the radio? I will make my own dongle harness.
    You can just unplug it. But do you also have XM radio?
    If so then you unplug the CB from the entertainment harness and leave the entertainment harness plugged into the radio (it's needed for the XM radio). Then the BRP BT dongle will plug into the entertainment harness where the CB was plugged into.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default CB

Bob,

Thanks for the help. No XM. I built the harness you did the video on. So it just a matter of unpluging the CB from the radio ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brrujo View Post
    Bob,

Thanks for the help. No XM. I built the harness you did the video on. So it just a matter of unpluging the CB from the radio ??
    Kind of. The CB connects to the entertainment harness which plugs into the radio RD02 connector. Since you don't have XM you don't need the entertainment harness. So basically unplug the entertainment harness from the radio (which will disconnect the CB) and plug in the BT cable you made. Your DONE!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi guys I live in Australia and have also purchased a sena model sm10 from a sena dealer and when I bought this brp did not have one .i got it with a Harley plug because it is the same on my 2010 rt and the system works fine so long as you only run one headset or you don't start the bike .to this date I have gone thru 7 sets of headsets and still can't talk to my pillion has anyone over there had the same problem because this is like something out of the twilite zone. Because my bike is the only one that does this no one can tell me why.

Spyder Garage

The SM10 has nothing to do with intercom between you and your rider. Its only to transmit stereo sound to one or 2 headsets.

Intercom requires matching bluetoot headsets in both helmets and paired to each other. Completely independent of the SM10 module.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Does the placement of the Bluetooth dongle in the front trunk interferes with the hard-sided luggage case that comes with the 2014 LTD?
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Kind of. The CB connects to the entertainment harness which plugs into the radio RD02 connector. Since you don't have XM you don't need the entertainment harness. So basically unplug the entertainment harness from the radio (which will disconnect the CB) and plug in the BT cable you made. Your DONE!

Bob
    Thanks Bob for your help. Seems pretty simple compared to installing the CB which I did. I was really hoping not to go through that drill again!!

Are you going to Spyder Fest?

Spyder Garage

Default My Blue tooth dongle cable

First I want to thank Bob for a great video in explaining how to make the cable and the help from many others that gave some very valuable information in regards to this as well. Using all this information I was able to order everything that I needed for the cable online as well as the Sena SM10 and the Sena SMH10 head set. I tore into my 2013 RT LTD yesterday to get everything hooked up. When the install was completed everything seems to be working fine so far! Below is a picture of the cable that I made. Lucky for me that I work for a company that has the crimping tools that I needed. I borrowed the Molex crimping tool for the weekend in order to build the cable. I also added a ferrite core inductor around the cable that I picked from the engineering department at work as well. I'm not sure if that was needed, but I figured it couldn't hurt to help filter any noise coming from the electrical system.

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention. I installed my SM10 in the rear trunk next to the auxiliary connector. I drilled a hole in the speaker pod area to run the cable through. I will seal it with RTV.
    Last edited by vtrider; 04-06-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Very nice job!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    First I want to thank Bob for a great video in explaining how to make the cable and the help from many others that gave some very valuable information in regards to this as well. Using all this information I was able to order everything that I needed for the cable online as well as the Sena SM10 and the Sena SMH10 head set. I tore into my 2013 RT LTD yesterday to get everything hooked up. When the install was completed everything seems to be working fine so far! Below is a picture of the cable that I made. Lucky for me that I work for a company that has the crimping tools that I needed. I borrowed the Molex crimping tool for the weekend in order to build the cable. I also added a ferrite core inductor around the cable that I picked from the engineering department at work as well. I'm not sure if that was needed, but I figured it couldn't hurt to help filter any noise coming from the electrical system.
    Good looking cable man... Where did you get the components and what are the part numbers especialy the connector for the radio , wich seems to be like an original !!! that is what I would prefer to bild

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default sm10 battery

have the sena system on my 2014 rtl. everything works find intill spyder sets for afew days. then sm10 will not work at all. I have to charge the sm10 battery. then system will pair and works. dealer install the sm10.

any help would be great, thanks

steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smay137 View Post
    have the sena system on my 2014 rtl. everything works find intill spyder sets for afew days. then sm10 will not work at all. I have to charge the sm10 battery. then system will pair and works. dealer install the sm10.

steve
    It is the nature of the beast.

When the Spyder is turned off, the SM10 does not receive its power from the Spyder radio, so it uses its internal battery, which slowly depletes. Once the battery is drained, it will not pair until it has recharged for 5-10 mins, then it is OK.

You can recharge it at home or ride for 10 mins with the SM10 switch to off position, then turn it back on and you will be fine.

The (annoying) thing to do is to turn off the SM10 after your ride. Yes, I know...

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

FYI, I have created a small circuit that breaks into the power switch on the SM10 and turns it off if no USB power is on the USB port.
    I will post it later once I know it works fully. However I doubt many will want to do this mod. It requires some delicate soldering inside the SM10.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smay137 View Post

steve
    I don't turn my off every time I get off but when I am through riding for the day I turn it off. That is the easiest solution.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default thanks guys

yes seems like turning off will be the best.

steve

Spyder Garage

I have wired mine in with two power sources to choose from. The normal switched cable powered by the radio and an independent on all the time cable. I have only used it a small amount so far to see how well it works but I think leaving the SM10 powered up all the time may be the answer for me.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have wired mine in with two power sources to choose from. The normal switched cable powered by the radio and an independent on all the time cable. I have only used it a small amount so far to see how well it works but I think leaving the SM10 powered up all the time may be the answer for me.
    I can tell you that the SM10 on all the time will kill your battery after about 2 weeks. It did mine when I tested that approach. BUT my battery is 3 years old too and has been run down a few times. I will say though, good idea about a choice of power options! Did you do that by running 2 USB plugs to the SM10 and plug in one or the other?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black