Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Its what the importer tells me

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    Well I looked at the cable that Sena shows and it looks nothing like the one from BRP for the dongle. The one from BRP hooks up to the radio itself and the one from Sena looks like it plugs in where the ipod does. If it does, where would you plug in your ipod? I have the dongle kit from BRP and I got it from Bert's Mega Mall (site sponsor) for $212 freight included. Is there really that much savings? I wouldn't think so.
    Gday Lyonsden, spent a heap of time discussing with the importer and wasnt until I pressed him to look deeper that he finally found the release from SENA which is "supposed" to be the Din style cable/interface/linkage which is plugged into the radio from the SM10. I am still waiting for it to end up in my hand. As far as cost, it is the whole package(SMH10,SM10 and interface cable) that is a fair difference, not just the SM10, allthough I can still have it here in Oz for $180au, if I got it from the US I would have a fairly high freight charge on top. It does help that our $$ is still slightly better than yours, but why would I bother when I can have it landed here and still have all the warranties stand up over here. I am still waiting for the arrival of my order. As soon as I get something concrete in my hand I will update.

Robby

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Adding BRP Bluetooth Dongle - Questions Answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Gday Lyonsden, spent a heap of time discussing with the importer and wasnt until I pressed him to look deeper that he finally found the release from SENA which is "supposed" to be the Din style cable/interface/linkage which is plugged into the radio from the SM10. I am still waiting for it to end up in my hand. As far as cost, it is the whole package(SMH10,SM10 and interface cable) that is a fair difference, not just the SM10, allthough I can still have it here in Oz for $180au, if I got it from the US I would have a fairly high freight charge on top. It does help that our $$ is still slightly better than yours, but why would I bother when I can have it landed here and still have all the warranties stand up over here. I am still waiting for the arrival of my order. As soon as I get something concrete in my hand I will update.

Robby
    This DIN cable would plug in where one would plug in their wired headset. Not directly into the radio unit itself like the BRP cable that you can only get through the kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    This DIN cable would plug in where one would plug in their wired headset. Not directly into the radio unit itself like the BRP cable that you can only get through the kit.

That makes more sense but what if you're not wired for the headsets? I don't think mine is. At least I don't think so. I didn't order the headsets. ??

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

That makes more sense but what if you're not wired for the headsets? I don't think mine is. At least I don't think so. I didn't order the headsets. ??
    If you aren't wired for headsets, you need the BRP kit. There is no way around it. And unless you are willing to have either a wire running from outside your bike to the inside or want the dongle out in the open, there is no way around getting the kit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    If you aren't wired for headsets, you need the BRP kit. There is no way around it. And unless you are willing to have either a wire running from outside your bike to the inside or want the dongle out in the open, there is no way around getting the kit.

I already have the kit. I was just trying to clarify for others. Thanks John

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

Default How does the unit get power?

I am in the process of ordering and I think I will follow your lead and install in the trunk. One question.....how or where does the unit get power?

Well I finally got this installed on my 2011 RT AC (no CB). After taking the covers off I decided I didn't want it in the frunk. It just didn't make sense to put it there so I put it in the trunk along with the ipod and other electronics I carry. I used the mounting bracket for the ST (it comes with 2, one for the RT and one for the ST) and put it in the middle of the back wall of the trunk. I coiled up the extra cable and stored it behind the right rear speaker where the radio attenna is. I took the right speaker off and it was a short run then from the radio to the trunk. The thing that confused me the most about this install was where to plug it in on the radio. There is a harness plugged into one side of the radio and you pull a little cap off to expose the plug for the dongle to plug into. It is right beside the existing wiring that is already plugged into the radio. It works really well. The radio, ipod, and the Garmin all are bluetoothed to the helmet now. You can go into the radio settings and turn off the external speakers which is what I did. I took some pictures in case anyone was interested. Any questions let me know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    I am in the process of ordering and I think I will follow your lead and install in the trunk. One question.....how or where does the unit get power?
    the cable included in the kit provides audio via a standard 3.5mm jack as well as power via usb.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    It gets the power from the spyder by the cable that comes with the kit. Power comes out of the radio where you plug the cable in. You don't have to tap into anywhere.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

The SM10 needs the interface/connector cable (whatever you want to call it) and it is available direct from SENA. It is in their latest update to suppliers. Only became available last Friday. Au $29.95. SMH10 has also been updated with the SMH10R which I understand has variable vox setting and no jog wheel. SMH10 does not have variable vox. SMH10R is compatable with previous models. Mainly designed for sports bikes looking for a sleeker unit. I am not the rep but have been on the phone to them in the last 24hrs trying to see if they could get me the equivalent set up that BRP are offering and they can. The only thing it wont come with is the RT mounting bracket.

Robby
    SMH10R is sexy and has a lot more functionality but........ we're stuck with what is offered
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    SMH10R is sexy and has a lot more functionality but........ we're stuck with what is offered
    I have an SMH10R. while im not 100% satisfied with the build quality, it works fine with the SMH10 units i have on my other helmets, as well as the bluetooth dongle and my cb radio dongle and my phone, all simultaneously. There is nothing stating you HAVE to use BRP supplied headsets.

To be honest, you don't need the bracket, the sm10 comes with some sticky backed mounting plates that take up a whole lot less space.

Spyder Garage

Robby
    Robby

I'm afraid you may be mistaken. The connector in the BRP kit is not the same as the one direct from Sena and is not DIN style. It is a BRP proprietary cable that supplies both audio and power to the Sena SM10. See pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366897199.471199.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366897314.618856.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366897361.885160.jpg
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Default You are correct

Gday Kinggeek, it does appear through further research due to the rep hear in Oz being slack and not getting the cable as discussed in the country yet, that you are correct and I am wrong. I will have to go back to the rep again and ask why he cannot get the said cable as per BRP kit, as BRP don't actually make the cable, it would be made by SENA for BRP (an assumption, not known fact) happy to be advised differently. Worst case scenario for me is to have to get the kit from the US. Not that bad a thing as most companies are easy to deal with from here. As the Aus$$ is up on yours it may well offset some of the freight costs. Now only need the SM10 and associated cables. Have the SMH10H already. cheers Robby

Spyder Garage

Default Plug

Well I looked at the cable that Sena shows and it looks nothing like the one from BRP for the dongle. The one from BRP hooks up to the radio itself and the one from Sena looks like it plugs in where the ipod does. If it does, where would you plug in your ipod? I have the dongle kit from BRP and I got it from Bert's Mega Mall (site sponsor) for $212 freight included. Is there really that much savings? I wouldn't think so.
    To use the Sena SM10 unit with the Spyder you must have the multimedia harness, this will give you the 7 pin connectors that the driver and passenger plugs his/her BRP wired comm system into, the one just below the GPS between the handlbars or the one for the passenger on the left rear of the heated hand grip, the Sena cable plugs into the SM10 with a headphone connector and the 7 pin side plugs into one of these connectors, trouble is the cable is only about 10 inches long so it limits the install to the front connector, you could use an extention cable since it is a standard mini RCA headphone jack, here's a link to one at Walmart, http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-6-3.5m...-Cord/16422804 , hope this helps.

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

Default Plug

Check the graphic at the SENA site, I think it will explain it better, http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloa..._Sena_SM10.pdf

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Answer is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels
    What's the scoop with the BRP bluetooth dongle ? Does it work on a 201 RT-S
    Easy question and answer. NO. I am assuming you meant 201 A.D. and not B.C.? Regardless, the answer is the same, NO.

Pretty sure the RT-S was not even being produced in 201 A.D. (and definitely wasn't in 201 B.C.)
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 04-30-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry if I'm re-hashing the post..

but, I've got the SM10, two SMH10's, and now I have the official Sena Can-Am cable.

I was under the impression that I could pick up audio via my dongle and cable through the i-pod connection in the rear trunk of my RT.

Am I missinformed?
    "....never joke with mules or cooks...they have no sense of humor."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muleman1 View Post
    but, I've got the SM10, two SMH10's, and now I have the official Sena Can-Am cable.

I was under the impression that I could pick up audio via my dongle and cable through the i-pod connection in the rear trunk of my RT.

Am I missinformed?
    I think you are misinformed. The Sena cable is for use with the CanAm communication system. The iPod port in the trunk is for audio input not audio output.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Just installed this. It works, it is a little flaky but I love the functionality it offers.

My previous config:

iPhone 5 -> zumo 660 hardwired to the radio -> Scala g4

Worked great to get GPS and use the phone in the Scala while riding. Audio for music from the GPS sucked and was inconvenient. I like the handlebar control much better.

Love the GPS to iPhone touchscreen interface.

What does not work at all:

iPhone->zumo 660 hardwired to the radio ->Scala g4 and Sm10 hardwired to the radio -> Scala g4

I could get music from the sm10 via the Scala until the GPS sent audio to the scala. This could be a button press, a navigation instruction or a phone call. This would kill the sm10 connection to the Scala 100% of the time.

My current config:
    zumo 660 hardwired to the radio
    and
    Sm10 hardwired to the radio -> Scala g4
    and
    iPhone 5 -> Scala g4

I get GPS and music via sm10 into the Scala with decent stereo sound and phone functionally direct via Scala relying on iPhone voice dialing.

I lose the GPS phone touchscreen interface but it all works.

External speakers on the Spyder are enabled but when using headset and sm10 at the lowest volume. I do this because sometimes the sm10 stops transmitting to the headset. When it does I just turn up the volume on the Spyder and listen through the speakers.

If using the sm10 with the headset and you mute the volume on the Spyder for too long the sm10 stops transmitting and goes to sleep. To wake it up you have to push he round white button on the sm10. I would recommend mounting the sm10 somewhere you can reach it while riding instead of the recommended position in the frunk.

Hope this helps.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi guys I have had a sena sm10 for about 4 months now and I got the Harley plug with it and it conects to the standard brp plug for helmet communication and I get the lot mp3 radio cb GPS and my phone still cuts volume when answered ,and yes it took a lot of time to work it out but I did get it to work perseverance is the key.a mate that does the i.t.work for McDonald's put me on to his supplier not knowing that they would work as well as they do . When I spoke to the supplier he could not garentea that it would work the cb and radio because the Harley's could only get one or the other .i find it a very good unit water resistant and I put a power outlet at the base of my handlebars so it has permanent power.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT LTD gets delivered tomorrow with the dongle installed. I plan to use it with my Scala G6 sets, if they are compatible. Scala's response to my inquiry was to advise me to encourage BRP to develop a system with them! Not very informative. I'll report my success or failure as soon as I get the chance to try it all out. This all makes me pine for the good old days on my GL1800 when I could plug in and everything worked with the push of a button.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Discount for Berts

I ordered mine from Bert's Mega Mall (site sponsor). With the discount SL gets and free shipping I got it for $212.49. Very good deal I thought and it arrived in just a few days.
    How and where do you find the discount for Bert's. I cannot find it. Thanks

Spyder Garage

When you order you just ask for the Spyderlovers discount.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    When you order you just ask for the Spyderlovers discount.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    My 2013 RT LTD gets delivered tomorrow with the dongle installed. I plan to use it with my Scala G6 sets, if they are compatible. Scala's response to my inquiry was to advise me to encourage BRP to develop a system with them! Not very informative. I'll report my success or failure as soon as I get the chance to try it all out. This all makes me pine for the good old days on my GL1800 when I could plug in and everything worked with the push of a button.
    Two weeks ago I installed the SM10 kit sold by BRP in the rear trunk as others did in the forum. Everything works really well. I only wish I could control the audio volume from the handlebars. You can mute it, but no volume control.

My current setup:
    Sena SMH10R in the helmet, bluetooth to:
    BRP's SM10
    Garmin Zumo 350
    First gen Samsung Galaxy S.

I will soon get a Sena SMH5 for the passenger.

...Ben...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Talk to Motorcycle Dave he has good prices on Sena products. I bought a pair of Sena headsets with changeable mics from him.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White