Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Adding BRP Bluetooth Dongle - Questions Answered.

Bluetooth® Dongle forAudio System (Kit P/N 219 400 458)
    I’ve been wanting to know if the Bluetooth Dongle in the new catalog page 68 will fit any RT with a radio, not just the 2013 and the STs. I think it will. If you look at close to the top of page 68 it says, Catalog link: http://www.brp.com/Flipbooks/Can-Am-...?Culture=en-us

This will enable you to wirelessly:
    - Use your Bluetooth cellphone, MP3 Player and GPS
    - Communicate with other SENA users
    - Connect with the Bluetooth Dongle for Audio System (219400458)and the AM/FM Integrated
    Audio System (219400349 for ST, 219400464 for RT), listen to the radio.

219400464 is the number of 2012 and earlier RTs radio

So, I called my dealer and he didn’t know for sure if itwould work so he looked up the install instructions and sent them to me. Itcomes with a wiring harness and an Audio Adaptor(for vehicles without multifunction harness). Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you have the multifunction harness if you have the CB. But it looks like it will work either way. This is also the reason it is more expensive than the Bluetooth dongle you can buy straight from Sena. From BRP you get mounting bracket wiring harness and an adapter to use if you don’t have the multifunction harness and the Dongle. I’m going to order it and install on my 2011 RT. I’ll report back what I find out.I’m curious now if it mutes the spyder speakers when using Bluetooth. I’ve attached the install instructions for everyone to see. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byp...0lPOE1BU2N3eGM
    Last edited by lyonsden; 01-07-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Please let us know how it goes....

I have the CB in my 2012, page 5 of the docs you posted states to remove the CB module?

thanks for post
    harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious as well; I was reading the Accessory catalog during 'Bama's dismemberment of the Fighting Irish, and kind of got the impression that it was for 2013 models only...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm curious as well; I was reading the Accessory catalog during 'Bama's dismemberment of the Fighting Irish, and kind of got the impression that it was for 2013 models only...
    It looks to me like it will fit any RT (with a radio) because it says "Spyder RT, ST 2013". Wouldn't it say "Spyder RT 2013, ST 2013" if it only fit 2013?

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you're right; that was where I mis-read the paperwork...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question Question about the bluetooth feature

This seems like a great idea to me. I have the full system in my RT-S, and use the wired headsets from BRP I never wanted the CB anyway, so if it has to come out to provide the bluetooth that would be OK.

However, does anyone know if the "IPod" interface in the trunk will still work if you take out the CB? Does the iPod controls and audio go through the radio or through the CB? My dealer is pretty clueless about the audio system on these Spyders, so I am hoping someone here might know.

If anyone has the audio system without the CB, does the iPod plug in the trunk still come with the system? Can you control the iPod from the control pod if you do not have the communications system?

Any/all input will be appreciated.

Mr Bill
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-O-Din View Post
    This seems like a great idea to me. I have the full system in my RT-S, and use the wired headsets from BRP I never wanted the CB anyway, so if it has to come out to provide the bluetooth that would be OK.

However, does anyone know if the "IPod" interface in the trunk will still work if you take out the CB? Does the iPod controls and audio go through the radio or through the CB? My dealer is pretty clueless about the audio system on these Spyders, so I am hoping someone here might know.

If anyone has the audio system without the CB, does the iPod plug in the trunk still come with the system? Can you control the iPod from the control pod if you do not have the communications system?

Mr Bill
    The iPod connecton is part of the audio system...not the CB/Comm System. The CB/Comm (or XM) is integrated to the audio system via the Entertainment Harness.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-O-Din View Post

Mr Bill
    I don't have the CB but my ipod plugs in the back and works fine.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting. I am going to be calling my dealer about this dongle. You have answered most of my questions and I read the acc catalog wrong too

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have also order this and it will be my first MOD.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have an actual wiring diagram for connecting the SM-10?
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got the part in today, and will install it tomorrow afternoon. The only thing showing the wiring is the instructions that Lyonsden provided at the end of his post. Does not look to difficult, but I have been known to make thing harder than they look. I'll post on how it went and how the SM10 works with the 's radio once it's done.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Weekendminer View Post
    I got the part in today, and will install it tomorrow afternoon. The only thing showing the wiring is the instructions that Lyonsden provided at the end of his post. Does not look to difficult, but I have been known to make thing harder than they look. I'll post on how it went and how the SM10 works with the 's radio once it's done.
    Mine is supposed to be here Wednesday. Let me know how your install goes.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Like I said in my previous post, I make things harder that they should be. Removed all of the tupperware that the instructions call for with the exception of the lateral panel. I have searched the repair/maint manual and can not find a lateral panel. I have found a lateral support but am not sure if this is what they are talking about. The instructions don't say anything for removing the passenger RH hand-warmer or saddlebag on the RT (it does for the ST), but isn't this where the radio is located? Any help would be appreciated.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Like I said in my previous post, I make things harder that they should be. Removed all of the tupperware that the instructions call for with the exception of the lateral panel. I have searched the repair/maint manual and can not find a lateral panel. I have found a lateral support but am not sure if this is what they are talking about. The instructions don't say anything for removing the passenger RH hand-warmer or saddlebag on the RT (it does for the ST), but isn't this where the radio is located? Any help would be appreciated.
    Watch this video It will show you how to get to the radio without taking the handwarmer or saddle bag off.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video Lyonsden, it did help. Got the SM10 installed and it works great. It does not cancel the speakers, but you keep them at the lowest setting and the volume in the headset is good. If you have them turned up there is a slight delay in the audio coming thru the headset and music sounds out of sync. The iPod/iPhone plugged into the trunk works as well. The only concern I have is that it is under the frunk liner, and it looks like you have to turn it on each time you go to use it. I will experiment more with it tomorrow.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video Lyonsden, it did help. Got the SM10 installed and it works great. It does not cancel the speakers, but you keep them at the lowest setting and the volume in the headset is good. If you have them turned up there is a slight delay in the audio coming thru the headset and music sounds out of sync. The iPod/iPhone plugged into the trunk works as well. The only concern I have is that it is under the frunk liner, and it looks like you have to turn it on each time you go to use it. I will experiment more with it tomorrow.
    Can't you just leave it on? What would it hurt? That is my plan. If you don't ride for a while it will go dead. As soon as you start the bike it will put power to it and it should come on. Glad everything worked well. I plan on installing mine on Friday.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found that it does start up when you put power to the , but if you don't have the bluetooth in the helmet going within a couple of minutes the SM10 will turn back off. You then need to start the again, or switch the SM10 off and back on.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

SM 10 ?? Isn't that another manufacturer ?

What's the scoop with the BRP bluetooth dongle ?
    Does it work on a 201 RT-S ?
    Maybe you need to remove the CB for access to install it and then replace the CB ?
    I have the current cell phone bluetooth adapter set up for the GPS but I would much rather have a unit that connects directly to the bike. That way I don't have to connect the GPS all the time.
    Is this similar to the J&M adapter ?

I was thinking of this as well.
    http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CFBR-CART (as found by stevedfive)
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Does anyone have an actual wiring diagram for connecting the SM-10?
    It would be real nice if someone who orders it could let us know what are the pin connections between the radio side of the harness and the Sena side.

Since no firmware upgrade is required, it means that the audio signal is already available somewhere on spare connector pins.

...Ben...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    SM 10 ?? Isn't that another manufacturer ?

What's the scoop with the BRP bluetooth dongle ?
    Does it work on a 201 RT-S ?
    Maybe you need to remove the CB for access to install it and then replace the CB ?
    I have the current cell phone bluetooth adapter set up for the GPS but I would much rather have a unit that connects directly to the bike. That way I don't have to connect the GPS all the time.
    Is this similar to the J&M adapter ?

I was thinking of this as well.
    http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CFBR-CART (as found by stevedfive)
    The BRP Bluetooth Dongle's main component is the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter. It also includes a dongle harness and an audio adapter for those of us that don't have a multifunction harness. I have installed it on my 2012 RT-S and it should work on earlier models if your radio part number is 219400464 (2012 and earlier, but not sure how far back). The instructions did say the CB module must be removed when installing the dongle, but made no mention of re-installing. I don't have the CB or GPS, so won't be able to help you there.

So far I am very pleased with it's performance. I can now listen to the radio or iPod (plugged into the trunk) on my helmet. Makes listening much more enjoyable on the highway.

Ben,

Sorry I can not help with the wireing/pin placement. I was lucky in that all I had to do was plug the harness into the slot where the multifunction harness goes on the radio. Maybe someone with more knowledge on electronics will be able to answer when they get one.

So far I am very pleased with it's performance. I can now listen to the radio or iPod (plugged into the trunk) on my helmet. Makes listening much more enjoyable on the highway.

Ben,

Sorry I can not help with the wireing/pin placement. I was lucky in that all I had to do was plug the harness into the slot where the multifunction harness goes on the radio. Maybe someone with more knowledge on electronics will be able to answer when they get one.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default Installation Completed

Well I finally got this installed on my 2011 RT AC (no CB). After taking the covers off I decided I didn't want it in the frunk. It just didn't make sense to put it there so I put it in the trunk along with the ipod and other electronics I carry. I used the mounting bracket for the ST (it comes with 2, one for the RT and one for the ST) and put it in the middle of the back wall of the trunk. I coiled up the extra cable and stored it behind the right rear speaker where the radio attenna is. I took the right speaker off and it was a short run then from the radio to the trunk. The thing that confused me the most about this install was where to plug it in on the radio. There is a harness plugged into one side of the radio and you pull a little cap off to expose the plug for the dongle to plug into. It is right beside the existing wiring that is already plugged into the radio. It works really well. The radio, ipod, and the Garmin all are bluetoothed to the helmet now. You can go into the radio settings and turn off the external speakers which is what I did. I took some pictures in case anyone was interested. Any questions let me know.

photo6.jpgphoto7.jpgphoto8.jpgphoto9.jpg

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

Sorry I can not help with the wireing/pin placement.
    That's OK. As you had already finished the install, I was not expecting you to undo all just to probe the wire connectivity.

This is just a suggestion to help increase the collective knowledge and give options for those you may want to do do it themselves.

Thanks.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

thanks for the information. I have been wondering about this product for a long time and it sounds like it does just what i want it to do... lol

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    Well I finally got this installed on my 2011 RT AC (no CB). After taking the covers off I decided I didn't want it in the frunk. It just didn't make sense to put it there so I put it in the trunk along with the ipod and other electronics I carry. I used the mounting bracket for the ST (it comes with 2, one for the RT and one for the ST) and put it in the middle of the back wall of the trunk. I coiled up the extra cable and stored it behind the right rear speaker where the radio attenna is. I took the right speaker off and it was a short run then from the radio to the trunk. The thing that confused me the most about this install was where to plug it in on the radio. There is a harness plugged into one side of the radio and you pull a little cap off to expose the plug for the dongle to plug into. It is right beside the existing wiring that is already plugged into the radio. It works really well. The radio, ipod, and the Garmin all are bluetoothed to the helmet now. You can go into the radio settings and turn off the external speakers which is what I did. I took some pictures in case anyone was interested. Any questions let me know.

photo6.jpgphoto7.jpgphoto8.jpgphoto9.jpg
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

I ordered mine from Bert's Mega Mall (site sponsor). With the discount SL gets and free shipping I got it for $212.49. Very good deal I thought and it arrived in just a few days.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount