Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

My Sena helmet headset charges from the bike in the Frunk and the SM10 is always on in the rear trunk. I have left the bike for as long as 2 weeks with out its maintaince charger connected and it was fine. I usually do connect the maintaince charger if I am going to be away for more than a few days. If I am home, I ride more than once a week so its never on the charger.

Point is, my SM10 has been on continuously for several months now and pairs each time I turn my headset on. Very convienient.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    My Sena helmet headset charges from the bike in the Frunk and the SM10 is always on in the rear trunk. I have left the bike for as long as 2 weeks with out its maintaince charger connected and it was fine. I usually do connect the maintaince charger if I am going to be away for more than a few days. If I am home, I ride more than once a week so its never on the charger.

Point is, my SM10 has been on continuously for several months now and pairs each time I turn my headset on. Very convienient.
    Well as I said my battery is old now and in fact in the last month or so, I have gotten codes (c1290) when starting every now and then. I know I will need a new battery soon.

Good to know it will not kill a good battery in a short time if left on!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I can tell you that the SM10 on all the time will kill your battery after about 2 weeks. It did mine when I tested that approach. BUT my battery is 3 years old too and has been run down a few times. I will say though, good idea about a choice of power options! Did you do that by running 2 USB plugs to the SM10 and plug in one or the other?

Bob
    I figure about 2 weeks to discharge the battery, with an alarm and Sena SM10 as loads. I don't think it will be a problem for me except in the shoulder season. Then I will have to remember to connect a tender.

I ran 2 usb plugs so I can choose switched or not. The always hot plug is a 5V 3 amp output that has recently become available. I will have to switch out my usb power socket on the dash for a 3 amp one as well to stop my phone complaining about wanting more power.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default What do I really need for a decent bluetooth setup?

@Lyonsden - Thanks for all the information you have put in here on this subject. I know it has been a while but I just got my RT and I'd like to explore the bluetooth options myself. This bike had the GPS mount already on it and I purchased the Garmin seperately. While the GPS works good in the truck, I can't hear a thing from it on the bike. Looking into piping it into the helmet via bluetooth. I'd like to pair my phone to the headset as well but I am not sure if I want to pipe the music into it or not. In this case, couldn't I just attach a decent bluetooth headset to the helmet and pair it to the phone and the GPS without adding the dongle to the bike itself? If I did want to run the radio and iPod into the helmet, then I'm sure the dongle would be the way to go and I like your install idea of the trunk better too. The vendor that you used for your dongle did say I could purchase one for the same price if I wanted to go that route.

Anyway, given all this, what do you recommend and what headsets do you think are decent for use on a modular helmet? I like to ride with the crossbrace removed through the summer months so it is pretty much like a 3/4 helmet. (EXO-900 Scorpion)

Thanks again for your assistance. This is my first post since becoming a member here.

k_teven
    2010 RT in black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k_teven View Post
    @Lyonsden - Thanks for all the information you have put in here on this subject. I know it has been a while but I just got my RT and I'd like to explore the bluetooth options myself. This bike had the GPS mount already on it and I purchased the Garmin seperately. While the GPS works good in the truck, I can't hear a thing from it on the bike. Looking into piping it into the helmet via bluetooth. I'd like to pair my phone to the headset as well but I am not sure if I want to pipe the music into it or not. In this case, couldn't I just attach a decent bluetooth headset to the helmet and pair it to the phone and the GPS without adding the dongle to the bike itself? If I did want to run the radio and iPod into the helmet, then I'm sure the dongle would be the way to go and I like your install idea of the trunk better too. The vendor that you used for your dongle did say I could purchase one for the same price if I wanted to go that route.

Anyway, given all this, what do you recommend and what headsets do you think are decent for use on a modular helmet? I like to ride with the crossbrace removed through the summer months so it is pretty much like a 3/4 helmet. (EXO-900 Scorpion)

Thanks again for your assistance. This is my first post since becoming a member here.

k_teven
    2010 RT in black
    Welcome! Spyderlovers is a treasure trove of information. As far as the Bluetooth units for you helmets I like Sena. Just easier to operate I think and they make upgrades to the software which adds new features all the time. As far as the Garmin it depends on what model you bought if it will Bluetooth directly to the helmet. My garmin is not a motorcycle garmin and it will not. I purchased the mount and wiring that is for the spyder off of amazon and with it the GPS instructions come out the speakers of the bike. Your garmin needs to have a headphone jack for this to work with the factory mount and wiring. Hope that helps. John

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin GPS' that work with Sena BT headsets

Below is a list from the Sena site that shows what Garmin GPS' will work wioth a Sena BT headset.

I have the 775T and it works perfectly.

Due to the size and diversity of the ever-changing Bluetooth headset market, we do not have a list of compatible Bluetooth headsets.

Currently, as long as the headset supports the hands-free profile and has a Bluetooth version of 1.1 or higher, it should be compatible, although it cannot be guaranteed.

Below is a list of Garmin devices that can be paired with a Bluetooth headset:
    ◦StreetPilot 2820
    ◦nuvi 765T
    ◦nuvi 775T
    ◦nuvi 785T
    ◦zumo 2201
    ◦zumo 3501
    ◦zumo 3902
    ◦zumo 500
    ◦zumo 550
    ◦zumo 660
    ◦zumo 665
    ◦BMW zumo
    ◦BMW Motorrad Navigator III
    ◦BMW Motorrad Navigator IV
    ◦BMW Motorrad Navigator V
    ◦Harley-Davidson zumo

1The zumo 220 and zumo 350 do not have the ability to pair to a Bluetooth-enabled phone and will only pair to a Bluetooth headset or helmet.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default More info to share

Just sharing new info.

I am posting this for everyone information. While we have not tested a cable yet (probably a week or so), we are pretty sure it's correct!
    Thanks to Perry for doing the leg work and now he gets his BT cable

Pictures attached and self explanatory.

Bob

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

can't wait it's been a long time coming

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are any of our vendors making a cable for the SM10? I see in the thread a couple folks have made their own, my hands aren't really that good for fine work anymore, would gladly buy a cable considering the issues with the BRP part. Mounting in the trunk is fine for me ....no CB or intention of having one.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Blue tooth dongle in frunk of 2012 RTS

Hi everyone. Been reading frantically with enthusiasm this thread on the RTS Bluetooth dongle. I have purchased my BRP Bluetooth kit and went to install it but have ran into a problem putting it into the frunk. I may consider putting it into the top trunk as others have done on this thread. The mounting bracket for the frunk requires one hole to be drilled for the bracket and the two lower holes are supposed to already be there for the lower side of the bracket screws as shown on the instruction sheet. There are no screws in the pack and the two lower holes have a plastic post sticking up as per the pictures. Has anyone fitted one to the frunk and did there kit come with the screws, if not where did they get them. If the holes were like mine what did they do to resolve it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Would Someone Who Installed the Dongle be Willing to Talk to Me About the Install?

Would Someone Who Installed the Dongle be Willing to Talk to Me About the Install?

Could you PM me and I will give you my phone number or you can give me yours.

Please let me know times we can talk.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you may want to talk to Finless or look at the videos he has on the subject. he has both made his own dongle and insstalled. the videos are very good. look him up and teh videos are on his profile page.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Would Someone Who Installed the Dongle be Willing to Talk to Me About the Install?

Could you PM me and I will give you my phone number or you can give me yours.

Please let me know times we can talk.....
    PM me your number. I would be glad to talk to you about it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can you still have an intercom with your passenger and hear the bike's radio?

Chuck,
    wondering if you have the ability to maintain the intercom in your bluetooth headsets while listening to the bike's radio? I don't seem to be able to do it. when my wife turns on her headset it cuts the bike's radio out.

Quote Originally Posted by Weekendminer View Post
    The BRP Bluetooth Dongle's main component is the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter. It also includes a dongle harness and an audio adapter for those of us that don't have a multifunction harness. I have installed it on my 2012 RT-S and it should work on earlier models if your radio part number is 219400464 (2012 and earlier, but not sure how far back). The instructions did say the CB module must be removed when installing the dongle, but made no mention of re-installing. I don't have the CB or GPS, so won't be able to help you there.

So far I am very pleased with it's performance. I can now listen to the radio or iPod (plugged into the trunk) on my helmet. Makes listening much more enjoyable on the highway.

Ben,

Sorry I can not help with the wireing/pin placement. I was lucky in that all I had to do was plug the harness into the slot where the multifunction harness goes on the radio. Maybe someone with more knowledge on electronics will be able to answer when they get one.

So far I am very pleased with it's performance. I can now listen to the radio or iPod (plugged into the trunk) on my helmet. Makes listening much more enjoyable on the highway.

Ben,

Sorry I can not help with the wireing/pin placement. I was lucky in that all I had to do was plug the harness into the slot where the multifunction harness goes on the radio. Maybe someone with more knowledge on electronics will be able to answer when they get one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmarv22 View Post
    Chuck,
    wondering if you have the ability to maintain the intercom in your bluetooth headsets while listening to the bike's radio? I don't seem to be able to do it. when my wife turns on her headset it cuts the bike's radio out.
    That's the way mine works also. We have started listening to the radio through the bike speakers so we can keep the intercom enabled. I have the SR10 for the CB and it will work in the background of the intercom. That works well but not the radio.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

I understand that this is one of the new features in the new HM20 headsets. Audio multitasking where it blends the two on the fly. Have not tried it and waiting for some reports on how well it works but I am thinking about upgrading my headset. Louise does not use the radio in her headset, just intercom so no need to change hers.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default mdale46

Quote Originally Posted by mdale46 View Post
    I saw a post asking about using non Sena Bluetooth headsets with this dongle setup. I have the Scala (G-9). Is anyone using this with the new dongle and how does it work? Any info would be great!
    I have no Sena Bluetooth headsets, BILT Techino helmets, they work great with the SM10, but they only work either as the intercom between helmets or hearing the stereo. I haven't figured out yet how to have it with both at the same time. I'm still trying to get it so both the intercom and stereo works together and when you talk on the intercom the stereo fades a little bit. If anyone out there knows the solution, let me know. I am a new Spyder owner, and I am learning. Semper Fi mdale46, USMC 68-88.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jarheadjohn View Post
    I have no Sena Bluetooth headsets, BILT Techino helmets, they work great with the SM10, but they only work either as the intercom between helmets or hearing the stereo. I haven't figured out yet how to have it with both at the same time. I'm still trying to get it so both the intercom and stereo works together and when you talk on the intercom the stereo fades a little bit. If anyone out there knows the solution, let me know. I am a new Spyder owner, and I am learning. Semper Fi mdale46, USMC 68-88.
    Even the top end SMH10 or other previous Sena headset models wont do this.
    When you tap the jog dial for intercom it turns off the music from the SM10.

I believe the new 20S will now do this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob
    Thanks Bob, I plan on doing some more checking into this and I will also check into the new 20S.

Spyder Garage

Default Problem with stereo radio to the Sena Headset

My Sena headset only gets mono from the radio (only right side of headset gets radio). When I use the intercom feature, I get both left and right. When I closed the spyder down for the winter I got both left and right from the radio. Any ideas on what happened??????

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Problem with stereo radio to the Sena Headset

Problem with stereo radio to the Sena Headset

My Sena headset only gets mono from the radio (only right side of headset gets radio). When I use the intercom feature, I get both left and right. When I closed the spyder down for the winter I got both left and right from the radio. Any ideas on what happened??????

Spyder Garage

The Dongle is charged by the spyder but it has its own battery. If the battery is dead, it takes about 2 hours to completely charge it. When I first installed mine, it took about that long charging it before I could pair my headsets.

Thanks,
    Steve

Sent from my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Will iPod dongle still work with CB gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-O-Din View Post
    This seems like a great idea to me. I have the full system in my RT-S, and use the wired headsets from BRP I never wanted the CB anyway, so if it has to come out to provide the bluetooth that would be OK.

However, does anyone know if the "IPod" interface in the trunk will still work if you take out the CB? Does the iPod controls and audio go through the radio or through the CB? My dealer is pretty clueless about the audio system on these Spyders, so I am hoping someone here might know.

If anyone has the audio system without the CB, does the iPod plug in the trunk still come with the system? Can you control the iPod from the control pod if you do not have the communications system?

Any/all input will be appreciated.

Mr Bill
    Yes. Mine works fine on my 2014RT. Controls do work the iPod.

Spyder Garage

Yes the iPod cable in the trunk has nothing to do with the ENT harness and the CB.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not using dongle. Can I just unplug and remove it, and leave the wires alone?

2014 RT Limited with Dongle in Front. Dealer never did get it working and I don't need/use it anyway. I don't like the "bulge" it makes in the frunk wall and want to remove it but don't want to mess up any wiring connections that may require it there. Any help appreciated (new user).