Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Octane Reqirements

Will Spyder's run well on 87 or is their appetite for expensive preminum?

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

This time of year if you can find non-ethanol 87 they'll run just fine. Don't know about ethanol though.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

I run nothing but preimum (92 0ctane)..............if you check in the manual, I believe that it suggests 90 octane minimum

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

The manual says use Premium unleaded fuel for optimum performance. Recommends 91 octane but does state 87 octane minimum.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They'll run on 87 just fine; the computer will do whatever is necessary to prevent the poor fuel quality from damaging the engine. But... giveing your bike the good stuff (Better stuff??), will probably increase it's performance potential and get you better fuel economy; the 991 engines are designed and tuned for at least 91 octane...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I, in the past, ran mostly premium. There were some occassions that I ran lower. I decided with my 2013 to follow what is recommended and run only premium.

On a side note there is a move in the Flarda Legislature to ban ehtanol in our gas. Hopefully our representatives will have the.....the.....(well you get my drift) to pass this law.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Always 93 octane in mine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've always run premium in both my Harley and now my Spyder. As the sales rep said "it's only a bit extra to use the good stuff and it's not like you're filling a 20 gallon tank."

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Been using 87 in my 2010 RT for two years with no ill effects.

Spyder Garage

Being in Iowa it seems only BP offers high enough octane. You will notice the difference.
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always run 93 as well...
    Here's why.
    What's the difference in price; 25 cents a gallon? on a four gallon re-fuel; that's only a buck!
    For an extra buck per fill-up; I'll give the bike what they wanted it to have. I can save that buck by drinking my coffee at home...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've always run 93 as well...
    Here's why.
    What's the difference in price; 25 cents a gallon? on a four gallon re-fuel; that's only a buck!
    For an extra buck per fill-up; I'll give the bike what they wanted it to have. I can save that buck by drinking my coffee at home...
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Default Octane Reqirements

I fully agree - it's worth the extra cost.

Also, with 93 octane, much less chance for spark knock or pre-detonation. Even if the engine has a knock sensor (don't know if it does) which would retard the spark timing to compensate. But why would I want to be running the engine in that sort of mode... walking the line on spark knock and with reduced performance?

I'll spend the extra buck per tank every time.

Bill
    Last edited by GadgetGuy442; 01-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

The GS/RS Spyders were designed for the lower octane gas. The RT & I believe all 2013 Spyders call for the higher octane. The higher octane level does not mean a better quality of fuel, just a higher octane content to resolve preignition issues with higher compression engines such as the RTs have (& all 2013's, I beieve). The pre-2013 GS/RS Spyders have lower compression engines and do NOT require the extra octane. If you ride a non-RT Spyder, the only benifit of spending more for higher octane is your peace of mind. It does not help your Spyder.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGuy442 View Post
    I fully agree - it's worth the extra cost.

Also, with 93 octane, much less chance for spark knock or pre-detonation. Even if the engine has a knock sensor (don't know if it does) which would retard the spark timing to compensate. But why would I want to be running the engine in that sort of mode... walking the line on spark knock and with reduced performance?

I'll spend the extra buck per tank every time.

Bill
    also. I believe the extra fuel additive cleaners that come with higher octane fuel help keep the throttle parts running at peak[I know others don't agree, some saying all octane levels are the same] my experience tells me otherwise.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Through 2012, the recommendation for the GS or RS was 87 octane (regular) and the recommendation for the RT was 91 octane (premium). Performance on an RT will be degraded with 87 octane, but it will usually adjust and operate there. I'm not sure about the 2013 recommendations, since the RS has apparently adopted the RT engine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

RT's take premium and GS/RS take regular. Using premium in a GS/RS is waste of money. The believe that premium gas is better, cleaner, burns better, gives more power is marketing hype. More cleaning agent then is needed does not improve performance. Adding stuff that does not burn very well does not increase power and gas mileage. Increasing compression thus requiring gas that does not ignite as easy, increases power and gas mileage.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It seems as though most feel that running regular in the RSS is adaquite so my responce to this is if you have any performance mods on your Spyder running the premium can only increase performance infact most fuel controlers state that the use of premium should be used.
    My Harley with mods and my Lincoln LS with mods require premium so i guess running the good stuff in my Spyder with mods wouldent hurt either thats all i will run in my vehicles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are as many opinions about fuel octane as there are people willing to talk about it.

If the recommended 90 octane (for an RT) is not readily available in your area, you can use 87 octane. 87 octane is the minimum recommended octane for an RT. You may find your Spyder will run just fine with it. Others may not though.

BRP recommends the following (as per my 2011 RT manual):

Fuel Recommendation: Use unleaded gasoline or oxygenated fuel containing no more than 10% ethanol or methanol.
    The gasoline used must meet the following octane number:

FUEL OCTANE RATING INSIDE NORTH AMERICA

Recommended 91 (RON + MON)/2)
    Minimum 87 (RON + MON)/2)
    Use premium unleaded fuel for optimum engine performance.

FUEL OCTANE RATING OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA
    Recommended 95 RON
    Minimum 92 RON

Use premium unleaded fuel for optimum engine performance.

Other fuel can degrade
    vehicle performance and damage critical parts in the fuel system and engine.

There is a lot of information online to learn more about the importance of using the proper fuel for an engine. You may find it interesting to learn just how it affects an engine and its performance. There are a lot of myths out there...

In addition; some believe a 90 octane fuel is better than an 87 octane fuel. That is simply a misunderstanding and is not true. It is just a different fuel designed for a specific application. You will want to use fuel within the range recommended by the manufacturer specific to the engine's requirements for optimal performance, fuel consumption, and to help prevent damage (caused by knocking or pre-detonation of the fuel). (They just don't pull their recommendation out of the air. There is a reason for it.)

A Spyder is an expensive vehicle... so the choice is yours on what to use. Personally, I use 90+ octane (without ethanol) whenever possible; but will use as low as 87 when it is all there is (again avoiding ethanol whenever possible). I notice a performance difference in doing so.

Good luck on your search in getting your Spyder...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I ran each octane level through my RT(s) and calculated a cost per mile since I experienced lower mileage on lower octane.. For both my units the most economical choice was 89 octane - the boost in mileage over the 87 more than compensated for the extra cost..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    RT's take premium and GS/RS take regular. Using premium in a GS/RS is waste of money.
    That's been pretty well-established...

Somebody just mentioned using 89 octane; the good old "compromise"...
    So for about 50 cents on fill-up; how much will you save over the course of a riding season?

I'd just as soon throw the 50 cents in the tank!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    The manual says use Premium unleaded fuel for optimum performance. Recommends 91 octane but does state 87 octane minimum.
    Hmmm... I like having choices. In Iowa 89 Octane is the cheapest. Right now running $3.04 a gallon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    Being in Iowa it seems only BP offers high enough octane. You will notice the difference.

You have an advantage living close to CR as BP is more readily to be found. I survive on Kwik-Star a chain out of LaCrosse, Wosconsin where the highest they carry is just 92 octane at least in my area. By the way what kind of fuel mileage should I expect to see?

Spyder Garage

You are going to find a few opinions and suggestions on this subject.

I currently have a 2010 RTS and a 2011 RT--A & C

We do not have ethanol added in AK. We can usually buy 87, 88, or 90 octane here.

I run 90 octane all the time now in both 's. I do notice a difference in performance if I am forced to use a lower octane. The just does not seem as "peppy" to me. The difference is 20 cents per gallon higher than the lowest grade.

I also ran 90 octane in my 2008 GS and the 2009 RS with the same results.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There was a documentary done by CBC TV in Canada on the difference between regular gas(87), and premium(91-93). Oil companies are claiming cleaner burning and of course better fuel economy with higher octane fuels. In independent lab tests the additives in both fuels were the same so a cleaner burning fuel is not possible. There was a possible slight increase in fuel economy however for the additional cost it more than evened out. Bottom line is, use what you feel is right for you and your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

On a side note there is a move in the Flarda Legislature to ban ehtanol in our gas. Hopefully our representatives will have the.....the.....(well you get my drift) to pass this law.

Chris
    We use 87 octane fuel and look for ethanol blends where available. Ethanol is a very clean burning and renewable fuel as well as helps to disperse moisture in the fuel system. IMO, I hope we, meaning our governments, lean toward more ethanol in gasoline simply for the fact that it is renewable and can be made out of the crops grown on our farms.

Ok, the speech is over and I am stepping off my soapbox!

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar