Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil and filters cost

hello lovers ..
    Just want to share this information , today I had my first oil and filters change at the dealer in Kuwait after I run my RT to 600 miles .. The cost was shocking , I just paid KD60 , its around $213 . Does the US dealer cost the same ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Calgary, Alberta

Stealership there quoted $200. plus 5 liters of my choice of oil (same place charged me $16.00/liter for BRP oil) So that is $282.00 plus tax CDN You did good!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Envy View Post
    Stealership there quoted $200. plus 5 liters of my choice of oil (same place charged me $16.00/liter for BRP oil) So that is $282.00 plus tax CDN You did good!
    Thank you for this tip ,, ohh i thought i was overprised its seems like it is also a common issues .

Spyder Garage

$250-$300 is common for an oil change and filter. Looks like you got a deal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    $250-$300 is common for an oil change and filter. Looks like you got a deal.
    I can't believe the price range for an oil change. My dealer told me $150 and I was so shocked that I've done them all myself for about $75 using Amsoil.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Amazing...

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default 100 bucks at Fremont Motorsports - after the first 600 change

Been pleased with our local dealership. Reasonable on maintenance and good warranty work thus far---16,000 miles and counting on our 2011 RT.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I can't believe the price range for an oil change. My dealer told me $150 and I was so shocked that I've done them all myself for about $75 using Amsoil.
    But you didn't charge for labor.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I paid 450.00 for a first service at a local dealer... needless to say I'll be going to a different dealer for half the cost!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default 9000 mile service

just had my 9000 mile service done by the dealership. it would've cost me $234 if not for the service contract purchased at time of buying . When service contract expires in 2014 I will do oil changes myself. The "how to" video on SL shows this to be a simple, do-it-yourself project.

Spyder Garage

I get the oil change kit (oil filter,o-ring, crush washers and 5Qts BRP semi synthetic oil) for $56.00 . I do the change myself. Flat rate can't be that much takes about 45 min.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I get the oil change kit (oil filter,o-ring, crush washers and 5Qts BRP semi synthetic oil) for $56.00 . I do the change myself. Flat rate can't be that much takes about 45 min.
    Please realize that there is more to a service interval than a 45-60 minute oil change. The dealer is going to hook up to BUDS, look things over, adjust the belt, and do a few more required tasks. Labor usually ranges from 1-2 hours, as a result. Labor rates vary, but they generally seem to run $75-$125 depending on where you are. It adds up. I am all in favor of people doing their own service as much as they can, but there are things that we can't do or do as readily, and if an owner merely changes his oil, he/she does the machine a disservice and could jeopardize his warranty. All the other stuff should be done, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Please realize that there is more to a service interval than a 45-60 minute oil change. The dealer is going to hook up to BUDS, look things over, adjust the belt, and do a few more required tasks. Labor usually ranges from 1-2 hours, as a result. Labor rates vary, but they generally seem to run $75-$125 depending on where you are. It adds up. I am all in favor of people doing their own service as much as they can, but there are things that we can't do or do as readily, and if an owner merely changes his oil, he/she does the machine a disservice and could jeopardize his warranty. All the other stuff should be done, too.
    True...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change

Quote Originally Posted by JonahAshk View Post
    hello lovers ..
    Just want to share this information , today I had my first oil and filters change at the dealer in Kuwait after I run my RT to 600 miles .. The cost was shocking , I just paid KD60 , its around $213 . Does the US dealer cost the same ?
    I had my first oil change last year at my dealership and it cost me $235. I asked why so much and my salesman told me they go thru the entire bike and make sure everything is up to spec"s. Funny thing is, they only took 45 minutes to do everything.

Last spring when I took my Spyder out of storage, I decided to do my own oil change. It was a bitch removing all the panels, but once that was don, changing toe oil and both filters was a snap. I also believe that the tranny filter was the one that came with the bike meaning they never changed it the first time. I can't prove it but all indications were that the cover had not been removed since the factory build. The filter also had differant markings than the replacment filters I bought from the dealer, and they were in BRP boxes.

I was in Virginia Beach last summer and I made a visit to the Spyder dealer there and asked about there policy. They include first free oil change and check-up with each new sales. It leads me to believe a lot of dealers are ripping-off all us nice folke that laid-out $30,000 just to buy the Spyder. Just the same, I love my Spyder and will continue to to my own service.

For all who don't know, BRP has replaced the side panels to make it easier to do the oil change. The dealer is suppose to replace the panels the next time you get your oil changed. I have asked my dealer for the panels as he knows I do my own oil changes, but so far I have not recived them yet.

Happy ridding to all,George

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Service

I take mine to the dealer for the service checks, but I change my own oil and filters myself. So it is around a $100.00 for the dealer to check everything else out.
    Note: I paid them $30.00 to put on the new panel and screen I guess you would call it on in between service calls.
    Last edited by Grandpa Spyder; 01-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As stated before I do my own oil changes. Since owning my and taken the into the dealers for service they have done some of the services not not all require or requested (even if I was billed for the work). By doing my own service, keeping good records, and all receipts I know exactly what work has been done. I do take the in enough to get the BUDS connected and updates done. When I take the in I bring a list of work that needs to be completed. I got tired of telling them to do work like; Front end alignment, Belt alignment and tension, A-arm lube, etc. and it not being done or being marked done but not completed. For me it is a fun hobby working on the . Its not for everyone and that's fine. Its just something I enjoy.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Love working on my

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone .. day after day i learn more about my rt thanks to all of you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitege View Post

For all who don't know, BRP has replaced the side panels to make it easier to do the oil change. The dealer is suppose to replace the panels the next time you get your oil changed. I have asked my dealer for the panels as he knows I do my own oil changes, but so far I have not recived them yet.

Happy ridding to all,George
    What are the side panels look like ? I have 2012 RT .. do i have to replace them ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

I think I will stock up on O/C kits next time I am in the States, almost $100 for the kit up here!!!

Spyder Garage

Just had a change on my 2015 In Surprise, Az. Cost was $284.00.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer is quoting 'around' $300 for 3K mile check and oil change. I'll eb letting them do that then figure how I'm gonna handle future maintenance. I'm leaning toward just bite the silver bullet and let the dealer do it after reading comment #12. I'm getting to the age I don't want to do all that maintenance stuff but the price does make me think about it.

Spyder Garage

I've stated before how I feel about the gouging going on with oil changes.
    DIY, as low as 35. for a full synthetic, filter and o-rings, and 2 beers on the new triple.
    The old twin took a little longer, but with the replacement panel, it wasn't bad.

Spyder Garage

If one has a triple and isn't doing extensive touring you're talking about once a year so the price may not be bad but you also have to consider the wide range of labor rates around the country. If you have a triple and are changing the oil & filter more frequently than 9,300 you're wasting $$ IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Since moving to AR, happy to say that both places I have been to have had "fair" prices for the oil change/filter portion of the work done.

Parts, plus $60 to $80 per hour. Thank you Lamonster Garage, and Spyderpops.

No more $130 per hour and $300 or so just for the oil change/filter part.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red