Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAR TIRES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRES

My 2008 GS has 15000 miles on the stock original rear tire and I'm looking to replace it with an automotive tire...I've read every post on here about rear tires and options...I THINK I would like to go with the 225/55R15...Most everyone that has used this size says it makes the speedometer & odometer right on the money but the problemis I cannot find any tire manufacture that currently makes this size...DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD BRAND NAME TIRE IN THIS SIZE??? or a dealer that has one???

The next option is the 215/60R15...This size looks to be getting a little too tall and a little narrower...Does this size make the speedometer/odometer slow rather rather than fast like the stock size...

And my last option is to go with another OE 225/50R15 tire which has served me well...

Spyder Garage

Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire Rack.com has a Hoosier that is 225/55/r15 The price, however, is $247.00/each and at that price you could put on 3 Kumho tires.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Tire Rack.com has a Hoosier that is 225/55/r15 The price, however, is $247.00/each and at that price you could put on 3 Kumho tires.
    I would not recommend this tire for the Spyder.

WARNING: D.O.T. labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire, including D.O.T. tires, on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like my Falken ZE912... $80 on EBay; delivered!
    Regarding speedometer accuracy; I read 1 mph low at 45mph.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-03-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 215/60R15 Michelin HydroEdge on my RT. Will put one one my wife's GS, if she ever rides it enough to need a new tire...

No nanny issues, no slips or slides (yet), and the speedometer & odometer are both more accurate (within 1 MPH at all speeds, according to my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS).
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I put a Kumho on about 4000 miles ago and have had no problems. Did the three sisters in kerrville in excess of 100 mph, way in excess, and also rode back in two days of straight rain from Alabama to Houston with excellent traction. Paid $68 at Discount Tires.

Spyder Garage

I don,t fool with "Mother Nature?" The stock is a Motorcycle tire meant for the Spyder and Got me 18,000 Miles so its a No Brainer for me!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I don,t fool with "Mother Nature?" The stock is a Motorcycle tire meant for the Spyder and Got me 18,000 Miles so its a No Brainer for me!

Going out on a limb here, but I think Kenda was the only MC tire co. who would talk to BRP. And at around $200.00 for the oem and only 20K on the tread.. Mother Nature can have a fit all she wants, cuzz I'm saving a $100.00 and getting 3 times the wear...Kuhmo and away I go!!

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO AST

KUMHO AST 225/50 R15
    http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/cat...6-DFB6B4B089E7 'BOUT $70 @ u'r nearest tire center.... you won't believe how gr8 this tire is.... i've got KUMHO's up front as well.... BEST TIRES IN THE WORLD...

013.jpg

Spyder Garage
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    KUMHO AST 225/50 R15
    http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/cat...6-DFB6B4B089E7 'BOUT $70 @ u'r nearest tire center.... you won't believe how gr8 this tire is.... i've got KUMHO's up front as well.... BEST TIRES IN THE WORLD...

013.jpg
    What size you running on the front. I'll be looking soon I like the looks of the tread,

Spyder Garage

Schnauzer, I checked out a nice Falken for the front today. 185/60-15 at pep boys. $71 per tire. Nice looking tread and rated for 60000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO FRT

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    What size you running on the front. I'll be looking soon I like the looks of the tread,
    I'M RUNNING THESE UP FRONT:

1 PROBLEMO... OUT OF PRODUCTION... HOWEVER, IF YOU SHOP AROUND, YOU STILL CAN FIND THEM... P175/65R14 I paid $61 each... they have a 100,000 mile rating (800 UTQG)... when rydyng AGGRESSIVELY, i have ZERO issues with handling... these tyres stick to the road like a fly on fly-paper...
    my SPYD3R will be in a museum 100 years from now and these tires will still look good...
    014.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Schnauzer, I checked out a nice Falken for the front today. 185/60-15 at pep boys. $71 per tire. Nice looking tread and rated for 60000 miles.
    Hey "Cotton-Picker", when did you get 15" fronts...
    Thinking on the 205/60/14,, may have to shave the fender. Reckon I better do all this at the shop instead of the barn..She may never notice then

Spyder Garage

Yeah I meant 14. Is a205 gonna fit inside the fenders? Or you gonna just leave them off?

Spyder Garage

Default SHAVED FENDERS

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Hey "Cotton-Picker", when did you get 15" fronts...
    Thinking on the 205/60/14,, may have to shave the fender. Reckon I better do all this at the shop instead of the barn..She may never notice then
    HEY DIXIE, SHAVED FENDERS = LOWER SALE PRICE...
    the KUMHO's i told you about will fit nicely, and the extra 1" of a 15" rim that u'r talk'n about, will gives you just about ZERO in every direction... the ONLY thing i would recommend if u get the KUMHO's for up frt, is get a couple wooden or plastic wedges, you'll need them to bump the fenders out to get the wheels back on... other than that, these tyres will do everything you need them to do without making alterations to your ryde, which upon resale will bring u more BUCK$.....
    014.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

HEY DIXIE, SHAVED FENDERS = LOWER SALE PRICE...
    the KUMHO's i told you about will fit nicely, and the extra 1" of a 15" rim that u'r talk'n about, will gives you just about ZERO in every direction... the ONLY thing i would recommend if u get the KUMHO's for up frt, is get a couple wooden or plastic wedges, you'll need them to bump the fenders out to get the wheels back on... other than that, these tyres will do everything you need them to do without making alterations to your ryde, which upon resale will bring u more BUCK$.....
    014.jpg
    Spyder belongs to the spouse, No shaving on her ryde. I'll find a tire to fit the space provided

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cutting on the fenders will only result in me risking the same damage on myself...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Cutting on the fenders will only result in me risking the same damage on myself...
    Be just like a bowl haircut, just trim the sides"Down to the MEAT"

Spyder Garage

KUMHO AST 225/50 R15

013.jpg
    Bought mine last year from Tirebuyer.com roughly $74 included shipping & had it within 3 days although just checked the site to my zip code and they are now showing $86.00

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's still pretty darn reasonable!

Spyder Garage

Ran the Kuhmo... Wasn't really impressed by it and it is a real floater when you get about half worn... Only got an extra 1k miles out of it compared to the stock rear... so 11.5k... I ride kinda hard.

Popping stock size Toyo on there... lots of people running those now and happier with than the kuhmos.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Toyo Tire

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Ran the Kuhmo... Wasn't really impressed by it and it is a real floater when you get about half worn... Only got an extra 1k miles out of it compared to the stock rear... so 11.5k... I ride kinda hard.

Popping stock size Toyo on there... lots of people running those now and happier with than the kuhmos.

WD. are you looking at the Toyo Proxes 4 ??? Who else has used both and has a comparable opinion??? Thank You, larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    WD. are you looking at the Toyo Proxes 4 ??? Who else has used both and has a comparable opinion??? Thank You, larryd
    Yup.. THe Proxes S4 like here: http://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Proxes-4-.../dp/B002GCPDAW

Someguy is running one and likes it. I got mine for $114 shipped.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER