Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Oh what a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Nightmare Part. 10

So the cop was asking me if I wanted to claim any of the illegal stuff as mine. Ok folks, admittedly, I grew naive & sheltered that's true...... but I aint stupid. I mean, even if it were mine, I'm not going to tell a police officer that, c`mon.

I walked back to the cop and asked, "No, no sir, its not mine, but what is that in the baggy?" He said that he wasn't 100% sure til tests are done, but that it appeared to him to be cocain & that he found it in the lining of the coat that the perp was wearing when he searched him & the other drug paraphanalia stuff was found under the front passenger seat when he searched the car. He then continued to tell me that the perp said he found all of it sitting in the car when he hopped in to get himself warm & that he noticed the fuel tank was low, so he was just going to take the car to the gas station to fill the tank as a way of saying thank you to me for allowing him to get warm....... IN MY CAR!!! WTF??? Are you serious???

The cop told me that he didn't believe a word of it, but that he had to ask me just to make sure. After a bit more discussion, I asked how he was able to catch him so quickly? He replied, "Easy, with all this snow, there's not many idiots out on the roads, and this *#*#*#*#* was speeding down the side streets like a maniac. Lucky we caught him when we did, cause surely in these conditions & him being hopped up on drugs, he'd surely of totaled your car, but it looks like we got him before any damage was done."

I was happy for that and now anger was replacing my previous feeling of pity for this man. Before, I could kind of understand him stealing my car, not that it was right, but I did leave it unattended and running when along comes a cold and homeless man begging people for a ryde. Kind of like the saying, GOOD FENCES MAKE GOOD NEIGHBORS? I had tempted fate and learned a very valuable life lesson, that only experience could really teach.

The officer gave me his card with a case number on it and told me to call the number the following day and they could tell me when the court date would be set for. He then told me to get in the car and make sure everything on the inside was as it should be.

Ok folks, now we're getting to the very long drug out (no pun intended-lol) point of this original post, about me having a horrible nightmare.I doubt many of you have gone thru a similar situation, tho its very common & happens multiple times a day. Its kind of like having a baby is a miracle that happens all the time, but it doesn't really effect you until its your baby, if that makes any sense.

So I open the door of the drivers side and slide into the seat behind the wheel. Its really difficult for me to properly articulate the exact feelings that rushed thru me at that moment, but to say I was ill prepaired to handle them would be the Understatement of the year.

Dang, I thought I'd get to finish on this post, but TBC......

Spyder Garage

I love how work always seems to interrupt at the right moment to create this great cliff-hanger.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dang, I thought I'd get to finish on this post, but TBC......

Now I think your teasing us!!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Post Oh what a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Nightmare Part 11

Can you remember your very first car, that was your own? Not the one you may have borrowed from your parents to learn to drive, but the first car that was yours that you could call your own? Can you remember the feelings that that car brought you? What that first car of yours meant to you?

You see, This was That car for me. I had originally learned to drive using my moms car, which was a 1985 Chevy Monza. I would borrow that car to get back & forth to my first job there at Pizza Hut. After a couple of months, the Assistant Manager liked me & actually gave me a 1973 VW MicroBus that was running enough to get home, but that was about it. I didn't know yet at this time how to drive a manuel, and it was a 4 speed manual, so I taught myself how to drive it from 1st to 2nd gear on our long gravel drive way / parking lot, but it died completely after a couple of months. Then another co-worker sold me a 1979 Dodge Colt for $450. Got it home & the engine blew in the driveway as I pulled in for the very first time. I didn't have any money, nor the skills or knowledge to fix it, so it just sat & rotted.

Mom knew I needed my own car to get back & forth to work, cause she needed hers to get back and forth to all of her doctors appointments as she had a severe heart condition & had become medically disabled due to having a pig-valve replacement. At this time, and as long as I can remember, my dad was an alcoholic waste of a man, whom I remember, while growing up and begging them to stop fighting, and if they couldn't get along, that they should get a divorce so they could be happy, But no, they were married til death do us part, and that they were too damn old to get divorced and start over, so they had to deal with each other til the end. ....... Which they sadly did.

Since my mom had to stop working, and dad was such a waste & had no job or money besides his Social Security check, which he spent most of on alcohol, mom signed me out of school when I had turned 16 so that I could work full time and help support the family, so to speak. After all, if I wanted anything for myself, I was going to have to work & pay for it myself, no other option. Soon after, I went to an Alternate school & got my GED so that I could get promoted at work and make more money. It was with that money that I saved up for 2 years to finally buy my OWN first car, that actually ran, the EXP.

TBC....... This time its cause of Teddy wanting to go out.

Spyder Garage

Default funny you mention that

i had an EXP myself, 1985. it was a good little car. great in the snow. great gas mileage.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First car that I ever owned was a 1970 340 Plymouth Duster with Dual 4 barrel carbs..Bought it loaded with options for a little over $3k...Paid for it with part of the $10k Reenlistment Bonus I got after coming back from Vietnam...Man...I wish I still owned that car....

70 duster.jpg

Spyder Garage

Cool Teds Red Sled no longer sounds like a sewing machine.... take a listen

After adding the New Kewl Metal Air Intake, new tires all around, BajaRon's Awesome New Anti-Sway-Bar, New Plugs and Wires and Brake pads all from BajaRon along with Oil and Filter change, we went for a Spirited Ryde taking in some great twisties and almost taking out a Turkey at 6:25. Teds Red Sled sounds much better now that it can breath. With the stock intake, it used to sounds like a Sewing Machine & I couldn't stand that. We're BOTH much Happier Now!!! Teds Red Sled is a 2011 SpyderFest Edition RT-S Can-Am Spyder from Len and the great gang at Cowtown USA. Teddy is a 4 year old Pomeranian with a Viper Red matching MowHawk and Pom tail, as its his Ryde.

Last edited by CyncySpyder; 01-20-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    After adding the New Kewl Metal Air Intake, new tires all around, BajaRon's Awesome New Anti-Sway-Bar, New Plugs and Wires and Brake pads all from BajaRon along with Oil and Filter change, we went for a Spirited Ryde taking in some great twisties and almost taking out a Turkey at 6:25. Teds Red Sled sounds much better now that it can breath. With the stock intake, it used to sounds like a Sewing Machine & I couldn't stand that. We're BOTH much Happier Now!!! Teds Red Sled is a 2011 SpyderFest Edition RT-S Can-Am Spyder from Len and the great gang at Cowtown USA. Teddy is a 4 year old Pomeranian with a Viper Red matching MowHawk and Pom tail, as its his Ryde.

Dave what was the orange screen all about at the end f the video?
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dave

Thanks for posting the video - Ref the sound was this with all the bodywork back on or as the Spyder was in earlier post
    most of it still off

Snow here where I am in the UK Today and has been like that for a couple of days and will remain cold - Top temp today 0c
    Can't go for a ride in those conditions and they do put a lot of grit/salt on our roads when the conditions are like they are now
    At least I could put the video on Full screen and now it feels like I have been out - Thanks mate

I can see the attraction for Teddy - Hope he is learning to hold on tighter now the speeds have increased on the bends
    My swaybar from Ron should arrive sometime this week but I suspect the Snow will delay that a little - Can't wait to fit mine now
    having seen what it has done for your RT
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post

I would think it is because Dave still has most of the front Tupperware off including the Frunk lid.the screen is telling him it is open.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Frunk Lid isn't monitored by that screen.
    My bad, was sure it did on-my 2012 RT, but haven't had it out since November.So i m forgetting things I guess! Surprised it wouldn't as I tend to leave that one unattached more then the rear.Maybe Dave had the rear trunk lid off for something??
    Last edited by Netminder; 01-20-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know, I don't why they left that out (at least it isn't connected on my 2010 or my wife's 2012).
    It seems they could use the microswitch for that..

Perhaps because it's the Front Trunk lid they felt the wind pressure when riding pushing against the lid would not allow it to come up
    Not sure if you were to brake hard that the lid would not fly up then

You do raise a good point - If the front Trunk lid is not secured and you are not warned this could mean easy access for someone to
    steal anything in there once your parked up the lid is still insecure
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I saw that no passing zone maneuver.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    For some reason, the rear trunk lid keeps coming unlocked, very frustrating. I've checked it as much as I know how, went thru and lubed it and everything seems tight. It closes solid, but pops on it own and all the time. No real fear of anything flying out, as wind pressure keeps it down. More stuff to look into.

The first thing I noticed after replacing the air intake was that nice satisfying growl.
    While it's not intrusive it is just enough.Better shut that rear cargo door before something flies out.
    I LOVE HOW IT SOUNDS NOW. Mind you, in the video, this is with the front & side Tupperware still off. So you can tell in the video its not that much louder than stock, just a much lower throaty sound instead of the Sewing Machine sound.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know, I don't why they left that out (at least it isn't connected on my 2010 or my wife's 2012).
    It seems they could use the microswitch for that.

Interestingly, well at least semi-interestingly, they run the rear switches through a resistance ladder that means that each of the rear doors when open would send a different voltage to the cluster.
    What this means is that they should be able to tell what rear door is open, but that feature isn't implemented.
    Was thinking the same thing on the micro switch. don't think it would have been to difficult to tie the Frunk into it! Oil well!

Spyder Garage

Dave...we're still waiting for part 12 of your Nightmare!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dave & Teddy

2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    Dave...we're still waiting for part 12 of your Nightmare!!!

My Mods -

Spyder Garage

Post Oh what a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Nightmare Part 12 & finally............. The End

As I slid into the drivers seat, and with the officer holding the drivers door open, he asked "Everything seem ok, anything missing or broken." Immediately, I wanted to reclaim that which was mine, my independence and freedom. But that isn't the emotional feeling that overcame me as I looked into the rear view mirror. I must not have noticed, but I apparently "zoned out" for a bit, just staring with a feeling of fear and dread into the rear view mirror, as the officer had to give me a shake of my shoulder to bring me back to reality. "You ok, something wrong? "

I stammered, not knowing how to communicate to the officer what the problem was, but also knowing there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it. I remember just sitting there, staring in that rear view mirror and muttering something to the effect of "yeah, its ok." and the officer said I was free to go with the car and not to forget to call the following day to get the court date.

I just sat there, staring in that rear view mirror, overwhelmed with a feeling I had never experienced before, a feeling of being violated......... an emotional type of rape even. I was staring in the rear view mirror awaiting to see someone jump up from the rear floor board to once again steal my car. I knew that it was an irrational feeling for me to be having, but I had never experienced anything similar and this feeling shook me to my core. This was no longer MY car that represented my freedom.... That had been stolen!

As irrational as it was, I couldn't shake that feeling. That stranger had stolen everything that my first car had represented to me. The officer had already left with the perp. locked away in his rear seat and I was still just sitting there, still staring in the rear view mirror until my buddy finally approached me and asked, "Dude, the cops gone, its cool to head to the crib, why you sit'n here in the cold, what's up?" I didn't know how to explain or what to say, but just shrugged & lied through my teeth and said, "Its all good, lets go."

As I followed behind my buddy, I kept looking in the rear view mirror, the hair on the back of my neck standing straight as if they were tiny spears. Physically speaking, this was still my same car that it was before it was stolen. But emotionally, it was anything but, it was just a hollow shell of what it once meant to me and now represented all that could be taken away from me, I just couldn't stand it.

Soon after this transpired, the feeling never the same, I sold the EXP to one of my older brothers, and honestly, I have no recollection of what my next car was after that, it no longer mattered.

So, after the back story, lets get back to present day. Where Teddy and I live, its a condo with a detached one car garage. The garage is attached to my neighbors garage and sets at the only entrance, which is gated, up the stairs to our condo. Our garage has only one door, the large garage door that opens either with the click of the opener or by using the key in the lock. Our condo is on the top 3rd & 4th floors of our building & I've found out thru accident in the past, that if I click the opener while in the downstairs bathroom, it will open the garage door. Imagine my surprise when walking out to the car and finding the garage standing wide open. Thankfully everything has always been left as it was and untouched.

So now, we come to the culmination of all these past entries and cliff hangers. Since it had been so long that Teds Red Sled was out of commission, this past ryde brought the feeling of excitement, freedom, joy, happiness and elation all rushing back to me. Seriously folks, my face was hurting from smiling so dang much (Teddy's too) we needed that, and badly.

The evening after that joyous ryde, Teddy and I headed off to slumber, our faces still sore with the semi-perminant grins of elation planted upon them. Once I drifted off to slumber however, all that was out the window. My dream, no nightmare was on an unrelenting loop cycling over and over and over again until I finally woke up from night terrors, dripping in sweat.

Teddy & I gear up for another spirited test ryde of his sled, before finally putting it all back together. We walk down the steps of our condo excited with anticipation of our ensuing ryde. We open the closed gate leading out of our entrance and turn the corner to our garage where Teds Red Sled spends its alone time, pensively awaiting our return to once again, bring it to lyfe and allow it thrive down the asphalt bringing joy not only to us, but also all those that see Teddy, donning his doggles on the back of his Red Sled.

Imagine if you will, the horror that ensues when we turn the corner and shockingly notice that the garage door is already open. Then, imagine if you can, the feelings that overwhelm us, as our eyes search the wide opening of the garage, only to see it devoid of any sign of Teds Red Sled. OMG, ITS GONE!!! STOLEN!!!

At this point of my 'Nightmare' all those horrible feelings of when my EXP was stolen way back when I was an 18 year old kid, came rushing back, as if it just had happened for the very first time. And this happens over and over again until I finally wake up in a fit of night sweats, heart beating as if its going to explode.

That's my story folks and I'm sticking to it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    For some reason, the rear trunk lid keeps coming unlocked, very frustrating. I've checked it as much as I know how, went thru and lubed it and everything seems tight. It closes solid, but pops on it own and all the time. No real fear of anything flying out, as wind pressure keeps it down. More stuff to look into.

I LOVE HOW IT SOUNDS NOW. Mind you, in the video, this is with the front & side Tupperware still off. So you can tell in the video its not that much louder than stock, just a much lower throaty sound instead of the Sewing Machine sound.

PM sent.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation We dodged a serious bullet yesterday... I'll say it again, WE ARE TRULY BLESSED

OK folks, many of you may have seen a short clip on the national news yesterday (like with Scott Pelly?) about some horrific wrecks due to white out conditions in the midwest. Coz even started a thread about all the mayhem that took place yesterday, cause it took place right here in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati. Here's our tale & I'll make it relatively short compared to my usual ramblings.

After getting more than a few requests from many of Teddy's fans asking if it were possible to record & post our rydes, especially since we now have a new and improved Teddy-Cam system, of the little guy in the back enjoy'n the ryde & bringing happiness to so many, I decided to talk to my buddy that's good with electronics and see if we could make it happen.

So last week, Teddy and I paid a visit to our local Micro-Center to get some needed cables that my buddy recommended we would need & while there, found a mini dvr that they had just received in that very day. Its made for home security use, but after getting one of there Techs to check out its specs for us on-line (they'll do just about anything for The Tedster) we deduced with a little fancy fenagling, we should be able to make it work.
    Back home with it, and we run into issue after issue. So I once again tear out the headlights from their nests in Teds Red Sled and start playing with the wiring yet again. I finally get a new mock-up using the one camera that we currently have, and I'm happy to report, we DID have success. Albeit limited, cause I needed more connections than I currently had available, especially once we finally receive the 2nd camera that we currently have on order.

So yesterday was MLK day & we had yesterday off from work. Teddy & I got to sleep in (thank God, no more nightmares this time) & we didn't get up til almost 11am. When we awoke, I noticed it snowing pretty heavily from our 4th floor perch, so heavily that we couldn't even see our usual view of the Cincinnati SkyLine, but it was very short lived, only about 20 minutes or so, cause by the time I got out of the shower, the skyline was once again visible, with just flurries dotting the breeze. This was a little perplexing to me, as when we watched the evening news before bed, I didn't recall any mention of snow for today, but whatever , this is Cincinnati & they always say, if you don't like the weather, just wait, its sure to change.

Anyways, we figured we'd get ourselves ready and head back up to Micro-Center as I needed more cables and a power inverter as well, to make this all work. Having Teds Sled torn back apart, we had to take the Cougar and I remember thinking, glad we just got new tires on the Cougar, cause this snow could cause issues on the road if we still had our old (bald) tires on.

And I also remember foolishly thinking how good of a driver that I am and that we'd be fine no matter what conditions we come upon.
    I'm sad to admit, this will be my 42nd year upon this earth and I'm starting to wonder when this "Wisdom with Age" thing that everyone talks about kicks in cause I still have yet to realize this

So out we head, with only a few flurries dotting the sky. We head north on I75 and almost get up to my work exit (which Micro-Center is right down the street) and I'm noticing how the ground is covered white with snow when out of the blue, doing 65mph, I see nothing but red brake lights up ahead, the entire Interstate is just sitting still, not moving but the far right lane. Just my luck, I know this area, so we make it over to the only lane moving and slyly make our way off the Interstate, all the while wondering what was going on to make everything come to a standstill like we experienced.

We make our way down the side streets and get to Micro-Center and head in, with a schematic my buddy had hand drawn of the system we're putting together and a list of the needed supplies. Once again, Teddy is a hit with everyone that sees him, and we have many customers & even workers asking for pictures, which Teddy happily poses for. We even had the same tech as the day before give us a hand in searching for our needed supplies, just to frustratingly come up empty. After about an hour of searching, we decide to head up to our local Spyder dealership in Middletown, about 15 minutes further north of where we were.

We get back on I75 & its once again smooth sailing. Where we were before, when the traffic had come to a halt, was right before the intersection of where I75 & I275 meet & unbeknownst to us at the time, their had been, and probably still was happening, something like an 80+ car/truck/semi pile up right past that intersection on I275 & a 12 year old little girl had lost her life in the mayhem of destroyed vehicles. We had just missed it and was at the beginning of the back up that was starting to take place when we luckily escaped the Interstate for the side streets. But again, at this time, I had no clue.

So back on I75 north we head when all of a sudden, I notice their is almost no vehicles at all heading south, and a few miles up ahead, I start seeing all kinds of flashing lights. I start slowing down from 70 to about 50 when all of a sudden I see why there were no vehicles heading south. Car after car after truck after semi piled one upon another sideways, in the highway, on the sides everywhere, broken metal and plastic strewn everywhere my eye could see. I started counting what I could make out to be vehicles, but soon realized it stretched up ahead as far as I could see and past my Middletown exit. The devistation was unlike anything I had ever witnessed before, and hope to never again see.

Not sure which, but both were deemed caused due to 'White Out' conditions, causing car after to to slam on their brakes, and one back end into the other over and over again & then adding in jack knifing semis, and it was game over. It didn't matter how good of a driver you were, when there's no place safe to go, you can do nothing but wait for the inevitable to happen. Of the 2 sites, both happened within probably 5miles of each other & I believe the end tally was something like one site had 87 wrecked vehicles & the other site around 56 wrecked vehicles all with only one reported fatality, of that 12 year old little girl.

The hospitals were over run with the injured & all the tow trucks from even the surrounding areas couldn't keep up. Many Seasoned tow truck drivers admitted to the news that in all their years, they'd NEVER witnessed anything like it here in the Cincinnati area.

Made me realize just how foolish I sometimes am, how lucky & fortunate Teddy and I are, and truly how blessed we are without sometimes even knowing it. We made it home safe and sound unlike so many others. Truly makes a person stop and wonder sometimes, you can be here one minute & gone in the blink of an eye.

Spyder Garage

Default Anyone that knows about electronics, feel free to add your thoughts here

uploadfromtaptalk1358863116929.jpg
    Click on above pic to enlarge. Hand drawn schematic of how to run 2 cameras to both a dvr & a monitor that are both equipped for dual camera use.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dave & Teddy

I'm so very glad you & Teddy missed the mayhem.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl