Thread: New RSS Exhaust

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy New RSS Exhaust

I just recived my RLS exhaust for my 2011 RSS. I was disapointed in the quality control of this muffler. I ordered the chrome one and when it arrived there was welding slag where the spring clips were atteathed, there was a grinder mark about the size of a quarter on the body of the muffler, and lastly the weld on the body of the muffler to the mid pipe was very poor. I think I can fine a better slip on for my $290.00. When I emailed these concern to Ricki at RLS, his response was"If you don't like it send it back, that is the quality you can expect for the price" So much for good customer service. I don't recommend this product to anyone.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just my two cents if its that bad send it back and get a Two Brothers verry good quality and the price is reasonable
    sorry to hear you got such a poor quality exhaust for the price hopefully others will look elswhere.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad exhaust

Thanks I have and will..

Spyder Garage

Default BOTH

i've made MOD's on both the RS & RT mufflers.... and OMG the OEM welds are horrible to say the very least... RS tend to be a little better than the RT's, but the RT's have covers over 90% of the welds, so they don't show as much... these welds are MIG generated, and most likely manually produced... my alterations were TIG generated, which produce a much finer and better looking weld... when a manufacturer produces a $200+ muffler, they should be proud to show off your craftsmanship... the guy you spoke with is a jerk, and people should elsewhere for their after-market mufflers......
    PS: obviously he's never heard of a grinder either....
    013.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Exhaust systems

With all this talk on exhaust systems such as Two Brothers, Yoshimura, etc, is it necessary to add a "power commander", etc. to the Spyder...? I have a 2012 RT... Thank you for your replies....

Spyder Garage

Default Not on RT

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
    With all this talk on exhaust systems such as Two Brothers, Yoshimura, etc, is it necessary to add a "power commander", etc. to the Spyder...? I have a 2012 RT... Thank you for your replies....
    You need one on RS, but I did hear you do not need it on RT, since the native computer can do the trick

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Using a Power Commander will void the warranty, per my stealer…. I have the Yosh on my RT, albeit with the catalytic converter removed. With 1,200 miles on the mod, it is slower off the line (SE), but much faster once wound up. Milage didn't change, and the pipe will "snap" (sounds like firing my 223) when shifted above 6000 rpm, on hard acceleration. Otherwise, it's fine - no decel popping….

I didn't like the noise from the TBR exhaust, and the Yosh sounds nice from behind, and the cockpit is quiet enough to hear my tunes…. Additionally, the SS version looks really nice tucked under the bags on the RT.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Using a Power Commander will void the warranty, per my stealer…. I have the Yosh on my RT, albeit with the catalytic converter removed. With 1,200 miles on the mod, it is slower off the line (SE), but much faster once wound up. Milage didn't change, and the pipe will "snap" (sounds like firing my 223) when shifted above 6000 rpm, on hard acceleration. Otherwise, it's fine - no decel popping….

I didn't like the noise from the TBR exhaust, and the Yosh sounds nice from behind, and the cockpit is quiet enough to hear my tunes…. Additionally, the SS version looks really nice tucked under the bags on the RT.
    My dealer recommended I get a Power Commander..........................
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

There is probably a balance here between the RT Intake and Exhaust with a point where the RT ecm can handle it just fine. but, if you open up both ends things are more likely to get too lean for comfort. Then a fuel tuner (Juice Box or PC) may be needed to adjust the mixture... but, there seems to be non available for the late model RTs, plus rumors of dealers voiding warranties on Spyders with fuel tuners may make you question the whole trip down this way!

but, if you use a muffler like the Yosh, which seems to have much more constriction, you may be able to limit the flow to avoid the lean situation. The effect of changes like replacing the RT Cat with a bypass complicate this discussion even more...

So, best bet is to explore this well before getting too deep!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ??????

i have a 2012 RS SM5 with a k&n filter and a supertrapp pipe and it runs better than stock (power and smoother idle) and i havent got a power commander so why should i spend the extra cash for one ?
    cheers mick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm running an HMF with stock intake/filter with only an o2 modifier on my 2012 SM5 RS and the spyder runs better than it did stock. My friend has the exact same setup on his 2011 SM5 RS as well that also runs fantastic.
    Wonder if the difference is SM vs. SE as I seem to read more about SE's popping and whatnot. Seems like the SE's may be more temperamental.
    Wonder how the ECM fuels during shifts on the SE...???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    There is probably a balance here between the RT Intake and Exhaust with a point where the RT ecm can handle it just fine. but, if you open up both ends things are more likely to get too lean for comfort. Then a fuel tuner (Juice Box or PC) may be needed to adjust the mixture...

Staying within the stock parameters is usually just the simplist and easiest way to still be riding, instead of problem-solving!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black