Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Labor to change rear tire

Ask my dealer what cost would be to change rear tire on my RTS. Said around $250 labor plus cost of tire. Looks like I will have to take tire off myself and have a dealer 50 miles up the road put new tire on the rim. I all so noticed all new people again at the service desk. I have to give up on this dealer. This is the main problem I see with Spyder. If would not be for the heat problem I would be trading for a new Harley Tri-Glide because every body can work on a Harley even me. Have spent some time on a Harley Tri Glide and it is for my taste much better at Interstate speeds that at times I have to run on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    Ask my dealer what cost would be to change rear tire on my RTS. Said around $250 labor plus cost of tire. Looks like I will have to take tire off myself and have a dealer 50 miles up the road put new tire on the rim. I all so noticed all new people again at the service desk. I have to give up on this dealer. This is the main problem I see with Spyder. If would not be for the heat problem I would be trading for a new Harley Tri-Glide because every body can work on a Harley even me. Have spent some time on a Harley Tri Glide and it is for my taste much better at Interstate speeds that at times I have to run on.
    I had the same issue with the labor cost for the tire mounting. I called another deler and the labor was less than half of what the first dealer quoted me. I took the bike over 100 miles to get the tire changed and still saved money. When I was at the second dealer I met some great guys and they were very helpful and I got some great info from them. Don't give up you may have to search for the right dealer, they are out there. I only use the first dealer for oil filters and small items. Hope this helps, you are not alone in this situation.

James

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My closest dealer told me the same thing.....so I just took my time and took it off myself and I don't even know how to work on Harleys! Didn't even take an hour, I'm quite sure it will be no big deal for you.
    Good luck Wayne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Dealer in Jacksonville charges $150 which includes the cost of the tire, labor and balancing. I think the tire by itself is around $90-$100. This is for the OEM tire.

Spyder Garage

The $250 labor for rear tire removal sounds pretty out of line. Assuming $100 plus per hour labor that's two to two and one half hours to remove and re-install the tire.

I believe the last time I had my rear tire replaced it was about $250--tire included.

The service people there either don't know what they are talking about, or are trying to give you the golden shaft.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I will indeed be taking the tire off myself. I already do all my service except warranty work and when that has to be done it is always a night mare. Just did 12000 mile service and while doing so added upgraded plugs and wires. At 75 years young and trying fight off big A, I would like to let a good dealer to handle some of the service work. Dealer 60 N. of me charges $85 labor to change out rear tire plus $171 for stock tire. I will give them a try next oil change and see how that works out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well the best of luck to you!
    Please let us know what happens next...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My dealer just quoted me $230 including the tire

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Change

I Dealer 60 N. of me charges $85 labor to change out rear tire plus $171 for stock tire. I will give them a try next oil change and see how that works out.
    How about the name and address of that Dealer? The price sure sounds better then some have quoted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Action Jet Sports Bradenton FL Tel-941-745-9521 Listed on this board.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you diy you're rear tire and will save you money why not. I will do the same.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer sounds pricey...We paid just under $230 to replace the rear tire on our RS in July 2011 in upstate NY...labor and materials.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default South Miami Dealer

My rear tire will be changed next week. I will furnish the Kumo tire and the dealer will change for $160.00. That includes balance. Riva Motorsports south Miami. They are doing a great job in the service of my RTS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm assuming the dealer above is in Fort Myers as I believe that's the closest one to you. Try Barneys on RT 60 in Brandon or CFPS in Kissimmee. Are you going to stick with the stock (oem) tire?

Spyder Garage

Here is a copy of the repair order from my dealer. They are too far from you but this may give you some leverage with another dealer. Out the door cost for a new OEM rear, mounted and balanced is $277.37. At the same time the fronts were unmounted, rotated, remounted and balanced for $85.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Replaced mine in September for $279.02 including oem tire.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOVEL IDEA

How's this .....Just learn how to do stuff.....They may want you to think you need 3 or 4 PH'Ds to work on the Spyder ....But you don't.......I'm not suggesting you try to repair any computers in there but a lot of things are basic physical/mechanical stuff.....Don't sell yourself short on what you can do......You may surprise yourself..................Merry Christmas....Mike.........

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

March 11, 2011. (2010 RT-S)

Parts: $152.99
    Labor: $120.00

Total: $272.99

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Reasonable Price

My dealer charges $127 for the OEM tire and $64 to mount and balance. Last time I decided to go for rear brakes, too, and he did those for no labor charge since he had it all apart for the tire mounting anyway. Spyders are expensive to maintain but nowhere near what I read here. Whew. For $64, it's not worth the time and aggravation to do it myself. I do most of my own maintenance for enjoyment as well as savings but in this case, I'll let the dealer do it.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    I'm assuming the dealer above is in Fort Myers as I believe that's the closest one to you. Try Barneys on RT 60 in Brandon or CFPS in Kissimmee. Are you going to stick with the stock (oem) tire?
    Yes Flybuddy, you are right. I will check Barney's out also. Plan is to stick with stock tire as I want to preserve nice ride for my wife to be comfortable as she is on the back 85% of the time bike is in use. Thinking car tire might be to stiff of a sidewall.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

To those running car tire in rear is there any change in how it rides? I'm getting close on rear tire and am curious..thx

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer in Winston-Salem NC charges 1 hour labor

And I furnished the non-oem tire. Total $92 for mounting, balance, adj the belt. Took him actually less than half hour as I watched it being done.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    And I furnished the non-oem tire. Total $92 for mounting, balance, adj the belt. Took him actually less than half hour as I watched it being done.
    Which tire did you go with and how do you like it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cost of rear tire update

Had Barneys in Brandon Fl replace rear tire with stock tire. Labor $131 rear tire on sale $99.00 plus tax and shop mat. Total $260. Half what local stealer wanted.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Car tire

Car tires are more stable on the Spyder RT. I will do again

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    To those running car tire in rear is there any change in how it rides? I'm getting close on rear tire and am curious..thx