Spyder Garage

Default Help and Information

We own a 2012 RT. We now have five thousand miles on our bike. We have read a lot of discussion about the elka shocks. What advantage would we have to replace the original shocks on our bike with the elkas?

Spyder Garage

The general opinion seems to be that they are a great improvement. However, I think how you ride would be just as much of a consideration as anything else. I have a 2012 RT Limited and have set my shocks to the fourth detent and find them to be everything I need. There is no way that I could see enough additional improvement to spend the kind of money that the Elkas command. However, if you are an aggressive driver, they may be money well spent.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agree with everything rc said. Heavier shocks, such as the Elka's, will reduce the body roll during aggressive cornering. Cranking your stock shocks up to 4 or 5 will give you a stiffer ride and reduce body roll in cornering.

I found the biggest difference with the change to the Elkia Stage 1R+ front shocks was observed during highway driving in heavy winds. I found the RT to be much quieter as a result of the addition of these new shocks. Mind you, I was running with the much weaker 2010 RT shocks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your overall body weight (especially if two-up); and luggage can be a consideration as to whether you will like (or need) a "stiffer" shock.

If you are equal to, or exceeding the weight limits of your RT, then a stiffer-shock may help improve your Spyder's handling.

Just an added thought to consider.

(Personally, stock shocks of my 2011 are fine for me (set on 5); with the read air shock set fairly high.)

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I have the Elka shocks on my bike and love it. I have just added the new BajaRon sway bar and the difference is night & day. Both are great but if you do not ride aggressively, the $200+ sway bar will probably make the difference you are looking for. That said, both make great riding and each have added benefites, so if the $$ is not a great concern -- go with both.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Help and Information

95 % of our riding is with two people. When we first got the spyder we were afraid we made a mistake once I turned the shocks up to 5 we liked it a lot better. West Virginia interstates are more curvy and uphill than most flat land interstates. That is where I am having the problems at seventy miles an hour.do i sell and get the 2013 model so i can get the running boards and better suspension?

Spyder Garage

If you don't think there is a problem, then nothing needs fixing. I would not spend the extra money unless I felt I had to change the shocks for better performance.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is a difficult question to answer because most people don't have the option to try before they buy. I never considered a heavier sway bar until I got comfortable riding my RS. Then I found the Nanny to be extremely annoying and the wheel lift/body roll to be excessive. Just when things started to get fun in the twisties the Nanny would say; 'Oh no you don't'. And really, with the way the Spyder dove and leaned in the corners she was probably right.

When I first installed the upgraded sway bar I seriously doubted it would do much for me. I was hoping for at least a noticeable (even if only barely) improvement. I have to admit, I was blown away. I never expected one mod to do so much for the Spyder. It was amazing! I was going faster and it felt slower because of the reduced body lean and increased control. The Nanny was much happier as well.

So, happy as a clam with my new sway bar I thought I was satisfied until one day I rode another RS that had the custom sway bar installed, but also had upgraded shocks. I was again impressed with the improvement and realized I simply did not know what I was missing!

Some of this depends on how you ride. But if you encounter strong cross winds or ever need to make a sudden, evasive maneuver these upgrades will certainly be appreciated.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What has been said here is completely true...
    Now the question that you'd need to ask yourself is, "Do I ride aggressively enough to warrant a shock upgrade?

(For the record: I put 2011 shocks on my 2010, and have a BajaRonBar in the garage awaiting installation...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I found riding over rough roads with my Elkas compared to the stock shocks was like night and day. I hardly ever bottom out with the Elkas and was often enough with the stock. I had them installed a SITA and took it down the rode over some railroad tracks and deliberately hits some bumps and noticed the difference immediately! Best mod I have done so far, and I would imagine when I order my BajaRon sway bar early next year it will the next best mod and will complete the front end. You will not be dissapointed!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If money isn't an issue I'd put on the Elka's and a Baja Ron Sway Bar. But if cost is an issue maybe you should start with the sway bar and see how you like it before you add the shocks. I have a 2010 RT with 2011 shocks and I just put on the sway bar and the difference is amazing.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a sensible rider, I don't ride my like a thrill seeker,cornering like no tomorrow with one wheel on the air and do the impossible wheelies. . We all have different idea how to ride, and we tailor our self and our accordingly. Ride safely and God Bless.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Wanting Elka's

We have 2011 RT and ride two up about 95% of the time. I have my shocks set at 5 and noticed a difference. I am going to order a pair for Spyderfest (where ever it will be held). I can't wait to order them. I am not very aggressive so I think I will be getting the Stage 1. Can't wait!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I I have a 2010 RT with 2011 shocks and I just put on the sway bar and the difference is amazing.
    When you got the RonBar nailed in place; did you dial back your preload settings?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had the Elkas put on at the BBQ, a 2010 RT. I think it makes a difference for a not fast ride. I felt the difference going the grass hill. At the same time, I hear the later RTs had much better shocks. Might depend on the year of yor Spyder
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Re riding style: When I first had some Elkas delivered (not from a sponsor) they came set up wrong for a much heavier load. Len from Cowtown reviewed the springs and settings and told me that they were way wrong. I liked the cornering but they rattled my fillings. I returned them, got proper ones from Len and installed them. They rode much better and I called Len and told him that I liked the cornering better on the heavier setup. His response was that often folks ride much more aggressive that they thought. I cranked the springs down 3 turns and upped the rebound 8 clicks and liked it. Now I have the new sway bar and I have returned the shocks to the original settings and the ride is comfortable and the cornering is like it is on rails! I certainly AM a more agressive rider now with a properly setup front suspension!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red