New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

Default Painting the vents

So, one of my winter projects is to paint the vents on my RS. Mine is solid black, I want to paint the vents silver to match the brackets where the foot pegs are located. We have already taken off all of the Can-Am stickers before winter hit. I have seen very few Spyders done like this, not saying they're not out there but I just have only seen about 2-3 pictured. My question is, if anyone has done this, what type of paint would be best recommended that won't flake. I can't seem to locate replacement honeycomb vents for all five that would need replaced. Any help would be greatly appricated. Only 3 months to go until winter is over and I ride again.

Spyder with HMF Exhaust.jpg
    Last edited by JaymeG33; 12-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would guess that powdercoating would be a whole lot more durable...
    Can that be done on plastic?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

I used plastic spray paint available at any home improvement store. It's flexable so it will hold up. I also left the front honeycomb black because it would have been to much yellow IMO in that spot. You shouldn't have that issue with yours.

You can also do the dash bezel as a member showed me how to do it. It really makes it look nice. I also covered the honeycombs on the dash with vinyl to give it a unique look.

4-19-12 dash mod 011.jpg5-12-12 may camping 110.jpg
    Last edited by arntufun; 12-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks great Randy! Now you just need to get some caliper covers painted to match up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I used plastic spray paint available at any home improvement store. It's flexable so it will hold up. I also left the front honeycomb black because it would have been to much yellow IMO in that spot. You shouldn't have that issue with yours.

You can also do the dash bezel as a member showed me how to do it. It really makes it look nice. I also covered the honeycombs on the dash with vinyl to give it a unique look.
    Oh ok sounds great and yours does look great also! That's exactly what I mean, just like how you have your vents over the rear tire. I just want a pop of color, so it almost looks like a cushion.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Spray paint

For parts like the vents, spray paint in a rattle can will work fine. I've never had much success spraying glossy colors on smooth surfaces - it always comes out looking splotchy compared to paint sprayed with a compressor and gun. But since the vents don't have any smooth, flat surfaces, a rattle can will work fine. Krylon makes a special "just for plastic" paint.
    I would run the parts through the dishwasher first to get them clean.
    Have fun!

Spyder Garage

I used Walmart Krylon "Bonds to Plastic" Silver Hammered Spray paint on the removed vents and the Lower and front plastic and I like it and thats ALL that matters to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cstall View Post
    For parts like the vents, spray paint in a rattle can will work fine. I've never had much success spraying glossy colors on smooth surfaces - it always comes out looking splotchy compared to paint sprayed with a compressor and gun. But since the vents don't have any smooth, flat surfaces, a rattle can will work fine. Krylon makes a special "just for plastic" paint.
    I would run the parts through the dishwasher first to get them clean.
    Have fun!
    I would 2nd the cleaning. If you don`t remove all oil, grease, wax etc. it will not matter what paint you use. Use the for plastic paint and clean very good. I have never tried the dishwasher but sounds good if not to bad or use a good enamel reducer to clean with.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Is acetone or MEK too strong to use on plastic?
    We sure don't want a puddle of goo where the parts were!

Spyder Garage

As mentioned a good cleaning and thorough drying of the parts is a must, using something like purple power follow up with Windex. Acetone might ruin or etch the plastic. Also buy a spray can trigger for a buck at the hardware store to help you get a clean spray pattern and avoid those splatters
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I used Walmart Krylon "Bonds to Plastic" Silver Hammered Spray paint on the removed vents and the Lower and front plastic and I like it and thats ALL that matters to me!
    That vent look is exactly what I am going after. Thanks for the pics! Never saw those ones before!

Spyder Garage

I photoshopped the vents on my bike a few months back just to get an idea of what it would look like, this is what I hope the final product will look like...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't wait to see the results!