Thread: Drive belt

Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt

I'm having a issue with the drive belt walking in and out on the rear pulley.I checked the rear wheel and drive pulley bearings and they're ok.I don't see any unusual wear on the front drive pulley. Has anyone had problems with a warped drive belt? Mine is the original belt and my bike is a 08.Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    I'm having a issue with the drive belt walking in and out on the rear pulley.I checked the rear wheel and drive pulley bearings and they're ok.I don't see any unusual wear on the front drive pulley. Has anyone had problems with a warped drive belt? Mine is the original belt and my bike is a 08.Any suggestions?
    I have an '08 with the original drive belt. 13,000 miles no problem . I had another '08 with only one belt and 45,000 miles and no problem.

What do you mean by walking in and out? How can you tell? You only care where it is as after driving straight ahead for 30 or 40 feet. What it does in reverse is not so important. After driving ahead 30 or 40 feet it should be almost up against the inside flange. There is a spec on this but I don't have it at hand. If it is in a grossly different spot everytime you check it after driving straight ahead then you may have a problem.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    Check your front sprocket real close for Being loose on shaft and the belt will track off backing up and then return going forward
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Check your front sprocket real close for Being loose on shaft and the belt will track off backing up and then return going forward
    Your front sprocket is shot! Better address it before it destroys the shaft and output shaft bearing...if it hasn't already. Make sure your belt is adjusted to the current spec. The old specs were way too tight, and destroyed the sprockets...especially if the bolts were not retorqued in accordance with the service bulletin instructions. (If there is no "X" marked on your bolt it was not properly retorqued).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your not sure, Take your to the dealer and get her check. good luck
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your front sprocket is shot! Better address it before it destroys the shaft and output shaft bearing...
    Scotty,
    How much of an issue is this on the 2010 models? I don't know as if mine has ever been seriously looked at or not...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Scotty,
    How much of an issue is this on the 2010 models? I don't know as if mine has ever been seriously looked at or not...
    It should not be as much of an issue, but if you do your own maintenance, having a dealer check the belt and sprocket/bolt periodically is a good idea.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! One less thing to worry about while snowblowing today...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt destroyed

Drive belt destroyed with 30,000 miles, Half the teeth was missing, Sprockets and bearings in good shape, only had to ride about a mile to home after the first notice of destruction. $300.00 just for the new belt and hour (at $85.00 @ hour)and half installing. found BIG difference in price on ebay. My question is do all the Spyders use the same drive belt?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Prior to 2013...
    The RS & RT showed different part numbers.
    Now they all show the same one.