Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RSS versus 2013 STS

Hello Spyderlovers I'd appreciate your input.....

It's obvious that the improvements available in the 2013 models make them superior machines to the previous years, particularly when looking at the ST model lineup as opposed to a '12 RSS. We can purchase a 2012 RS-S at $16,500 and I understand it will take a few more dollars to dial it in as opposed to the ST which may fit the bill out of the box. The price difference is substantial as we are looking at an SE5 which comes in at just under $22k list, which makes the decision to go with an ST harder. One of the factors I have not seen discussed is the weight difference. There is a 100 lb weight advantage to the 2012 model versus a 2013 RS-S and and even greater difference of 165 lbs when the 2012 RS-S is compared to the ST. I think this is a substantial difference that must be given consideration. I read somwhere that the weight actually did not change, only the fact that the accurate weight is now reported. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the weight difference as well as the substantial price difference..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That "weight difference" may just be Can Am coming up with a number that is closer to the actual weight of the bikes... The new STs are a quantum leap better than the RS models; take some test rydes back to back and you'll see...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
    Hello Spyderlovers I'd appreciate your input.....

It's obvious that the improvements available in the 2013 models make them superior machines to the previous years, particularly when looking at the ST model lineup as opposed to a '12 RSS. We can purchase a 2012 RS-S at $16,500 and I understand it will take a few more dollars to dial it in as opposed to the ST which may fit the bill out of the box. The price difference is substantial as we are looking at an SE5 which comes in at just under $22k list, which makes the decision to go with an ST harder. One of the factors I have not seen discussed is the weight difference. There is a 100 lb weight advantage to the 2012 model versus a 2013 RS-S and and even greater difference of 165 lbs when the 2012 RS-S is compared to the ST. I think this is a substantial difference that must be given consideration. I read somwhere that the weight actually did not change, only the fact that the accurate weight is now reported. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the weight difference as well as the substantial price difference..
    If you go on Cycletrader I think you can get a 12 RS-S NEW cheaper than 16,5?? Look around. BRP Weight #s don,t lie. The ST is 165 pounds heavier than the 2012 and earlier RS/GS.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!