Thread: Magic Jack

Hybrid View

arntufun

Default Magic Jack

Does anyone use the Magic Jack for their home phone ????? My cable, internet and phone provider is ripping us off every month and if I can drop the home phone part and replace it with this Magic Jack thingy, it would save us $50.00 a month.

You can't beat the price of 20.00 a year, but im wondering if anyone has it and wants to share thier experience with it.

Spyder Garage

I've been using it for the last 5 years or so and I love it. I was paying $150.00 per month and now I pay $4.00 for two lines. Get the new Magic Jack that doesn't need the computer to run, that's what I use now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've been using it for the last 5 years or so and I love it. I was paying $150.00 per month and now I pay $4.00 for two lines. Get the new Magic Jack that doesn't need the computer to run, that's what I use now.

while not as long as Lamonster. I have had no problems with the magic jack.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Cool Magic Jack

The only problem I have had reported is if you have a Fax machine or anything that requires an analog line, it won't work on a digital line which the Magic Jack is. The same holds true with Vonage, Fios, etc.

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Jack

I had a Magic Jack. It worked as advertised. No problems. However, now I just use my cell phone. I have no land line.

Good Ryding.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Better Still...

Ooma was recently rated #1 for VOIP on Consumer Reports. You buy the box and the service is free (except for taxes). If you do the math and read the reviews on Amazon you'll see this is the least expensive and best service currently available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-20&linkCode=a
    cr.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    I had a Magic Jack. It worked as advertised. No problems. However, now I just use my cell phone. I have no land line.

Good Ryding.
    We do the same. Don't know why we didn't do it sooner. Plus the added benefit of no nuisance calls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post

Good Ryding.
    I use my cell almost completely, and just the Magic Jack for calls that I know I will end up on hold for a while. I am going to let the subscription to the Magic Jack expire when times come, and just make the calls from work (most are 800 anyway) after that. I have not had a land line for over three years now.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default magic jack

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I have one question about this magic jack that you are talking about. I get my phone, cable and internet thru my cable company. Do you or someone else thinks it will work thru the cable co if I drop there phone?
    Thank You

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by arris View Post
    I have one question about this magic jack that you are talking about. I get my phone, cable and internet thru my cable company. Do you or someone else thinks it will work thru the cable co if I drop there phone?
    Thank You

Yes........... thats excactly what i'm doing now, its working perfectly !!!!! I'm dropping the phone service through my cable co and saving 50.00 a month. Do you have a wireless router in your house ???? If so, get the magic Jack plus so you don't have to plug it into a computer and leave it on.
    Last edited by arntufun; 12-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Randy,
    We'll be waiting to hear how you like this new setup...
    We've always kept landlines down here for several reasons:
    They work even when the power goes out
    There simply is no cellular service in our community... (Hidden amongst the mountains)

Will this new setup also drop out if the powergrid takes a dive?
    Yes it will
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default magic jack

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Does anyone use the Magic Jack for their home phone ????? My cable, internet and phone provider is ripping us off every month and if I can drop the home phone part and replace it with this Magic Jack thingy, it would save us $50.00 a month.

You can't beat the price of 20.00 a year, but im wondering if anyone has it and wants to share thier experience with it.
    it has a lot of problems.they cut you off,sometimes other folks can not call you when they want to.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

I use the Magic Jack Plus. Easy install... and it works very well... can't tell the difference.

However, the 19.95 a year price is only if you pay in advance for five years... I didn't want to do that on something relatively new. It's $29.95/year on a year-by-year basis.

Plus, the purchase price includes the first year's service.