Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Its official: BajaRon's swaybar is a MUST have for all RT owners!

Arrived, installed and tested!

All I can at is OH MY FREAKIN' GAWD! THIS THING IS AWESOME, A MUST HAVE FOR ANY RT OWNER!

I noticed a difference from the first right hand turn in my neighborhood at 25MPH and it only got better in the twisties!

I took an unfortunately short ride in some of the twisties I am most familiar with and the difference is amazing! Turns that uses to put a little fear in me where smooth as glass at higher speeds than ever before.

I do see one downside for Ron though, he is probably going to be selling fewer brake pads as a result of this amazing performance enhancing product.

Well done!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Default RT sway bar

Do you have the stock shocks or Elka's?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review!
    Can somebody kidnap my Missus, so that i've got some install time to myself???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have Elka Stage 1+R all the way around.

I will say this though for RT owners with stock shocks. The BajaRon Swaybar should be the first suspension performance mod you do. It is significantly less expensive than Elka shocks on the front and provides exactly what most are looking for when they replace the shocks.

Depending on your riding style it may be all you need and the savings of approximately $500 over front Elka's to spend on OTHER mods!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for the review!
    Can somebody kidnap my Missus, so that i've got some install time to myself???
    It only take about an hour!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

one hour for a normal person with average mechanical skills...
    Better plan on keeping her for about six hours: maybe just drop her at a Christopher & Banks or Zales...

I'm checking out the results for the RonBar carefully before even looking at the Elka website...
    I did upgrade to 2011 M.Y. shocks for my 2010...

Spyder Garage

OK, I know I already recommended the BajaRon Swaybar as a must have for all RT owners but I just went for another ride today before work and I need to add a little to that recommendation.

I almost feel like I got a new Spyder for the insanely low price of $199 delivered!

I mean every time I make a turn it surprises me how much more stable and confident it feels. I find myself pushing on my outside foot and leaning into turns when I don't really need to any more. I'm not saying it was bad before with the Elka's or even the stocks it is just that much better, VERY NOTICEABLE IMPROVEMENT!

I now see a downside for me, more speeding tickets!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't somebody mention that this bar is gonna hurt his business because he's gonna sell a lot less brake parts??

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool If the wait'n wasn't BAD ENOUGH, now I'm REALLY get'n STOKED

Teddy's new bar should be at the house today or tomorrow and I can forsee a NICE LONG ROAD TRIP in our very near future Thanks for the great feedback

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

So, how about some explainations?

When installing the sway bar on an RT does anything factory install get removed/discarded?

How much disassembly is required? From the photos it looks like the Frunk is removed.

Will it fit with the Spyder Pops Critter Splitter installed?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

looks like the bars will not fit the new 2013 bikes??? or will they. Cw dads kid

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cant wait

Mines in the shop for the 6000 mile service. Ron's sway bar came Saturday so I took it to the dealer and am having them install it while everything is apart anyway. They are also wrapping the headers and some of the exhaust in an effort to stop the heat coming through the Corbin fuel door. Just returned from a 1400 mile trip though SoCal, Arizona, Nevada and am looking forward to the new sway bar. The Corbin seat is so comfy.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon's swaybar

hi I have 2012 rt ron's states the swaybar is for rs not rt. did it fix alright and what did you have to do to make it work on the rt thanks for information. always like to find things to make the ride better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    So, how about some explainations?

When installing the sway bar on an RT does anything factory install get removed/discarded?

How much disassembly is required? From the photos it looks like the Frunk is removed.

Will it fit with the Spyder Pops Critter Splitter installed?
    OEM bar is removed and replaced with the Custom Performance Sway Bar. Here is a quick synopsis of the process.

You do not have to remove the Frunk on the RT. Removing the Frunk on the RS is much less work and some prefer this method. But it is not necessary to remove the Frunk on either the RS or RT model Spyders for this Custom Sway Bar install.

It is much easier to SHOW the install process with the Frunk removed, so that is why the pictures are presented this way.

On the RT you have to remove the 2 quick release side panels (where you check oil level on the left side and the same panel on the right). This exposes 2 Torx bolts at the rear of the fog light panels that need to be removed. These Fog Light panels are not removed, only the 2 rear bolts on each side.

Then you remove the 2 bolts holding the bottom of the Frunk to the frame. This gives you access to the Sway Bar components.

There are 6 bolts holding the sway bar. Once these are removed/loosend the OEM bar can be removed. The new Custom Sway Bar installs in reverse order. These Custom Bars come with more detailed install instructions.

There is no problem with the SpyderPops Bump Skid and the Custom Sway Bar. They live quite happily together. Harvey would never make a product that would not get along with mine! Nor me his!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetrucker View Post
    looks like the bars will not fit the new 2013 bikes??? or will they. Cw dads kid
    The 2013 Spyder sway bar is a different configuration and the current Custom sway bars will not fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by ringalls51 View Post
    hi I have 2012 rt ron's states the swaybar is for rs not rt. did it fix alright and what did you have to do to make it work on the rt thanks for information. always like to find things to make the ride better.
    The RS, GS, RS-S sway bars are NOT interchangable with the RT model Spyders. Please do not go there!

However, I carry a Custom Performance Sway Bar specifically designed for each of these respective Spyder models.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Here is what you need:
    So I have completed the install after a few calls to Ron. As stated above you need to loosen the screws holding the see panel. I did not loosen the top frunk screws at all. Also the bolts in the aluminum collar clamps are not metric, they are 5/32. I have included a ink to some photos below that may clarify some things. I am a picture guy!

Start with IMG_001w, IMG_002w etc......
    IMG_001w.jpg & IMG_002w.jpg etc.....

Here is link to the install album
    http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/z...bar%20install/

Now as for the performance - I havnt had a chance to ride yet! Sorry
    Last edited by bmwlarry; 12-17-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The BajaRon swaybar is here, it's installed, and it's FANTASTIC!

It came in the mail about noon but I had already removed the old bar so all I had to do was install the new one. I probably spent 3 hours altogether but if I was doing it again, I'd guess maybe an hour and a half. I always learn a lot the first time I do something. The instructions are good but I still have to read them 2 or 3 times to get everything right.

Got it installed and took about a 100 mile test ride, the first half solo and the second half two up with my wife. It handles so much better that it's almost unbelievable. Now my RT handles the way I wanted it to when I got it. It's much flatter and more stable in the corners, especially bumpy corners. There's no juking around if you push it, it just turns. It's really hard to describe how much better it is. I think it helps even more when riding two up but, of course, I won't push things quite as hard with my wife behind me. Still, we were getting through corners much more comfortably and faster than with the old swaybar. She commented that a lot of corners where she would normally lean off to the inside to counter the RT's lean angle, she was no longer leaning. It's better in crosswinds, too. The wind was probably blowing 20 - 25 MPH today and, while I could still feel it, the bike didn't move nearly as much. Tomorrow, I'll try backing the pre-load down from position 4 to 3 and see how that works. Altogether, the best money I've spent on my RT.

Thanks, Ron, you really nailed this thing.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I can agree with the 'best money spent' comment. HUGE bang for the buck!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I changed my pre-load adjustment from position 4 to position 3 and took a short test ride this afternoon. As you would expect the ride is softer and better - but the handling suffers. Cornering is still much better than with the stock swaybar but there is more body roll and it's just not as sharp and controlled in the corners. I'll go back to position 4 tomorrow and may even try at position 5 but I think the best will be position 4.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cotton,
    Which year RT do you have, and which shocks?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Here is what you need:
    So I have completed the install after a few calls to Ron. As stated above you need to loosen the screws holding the see panel. I did not loosen the top frunk screws at all. Also the bolts in the aluminum collar clamps are not metric, they are 5/32. I have included a ink to some photos below that may clarify some things. I am a picture guy!

Start with IMG_001w, IMG_002w etc......
    IMG_001w.jpg & IMG_002w.jpg etc.....

Here is link to the install album
    http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/z...bar%20install/

Now as for the performance - I havnt had a chance to ride yet! Sorry
    BMWLARRY

Great pictures which I am sure most if not all will find useful - Well done

My question is - in a couple of the pictures the writing of BAJARON on the swaybar is upside down
    does this mean the swaybar can be fitted either way up or is there only 1 way and you have it fitted the correct way, Its like the Elka shocks with are fitted differently to the OEM shock with the springs on the Elkas being at the bottom whereas the OEM Shocks have the Springs at the top

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

I realized the writing is upside down. With it mounted the other way, the decal doesn't show at all. I looked at it carefully and saw no difference. It seemed to not have any bends that would preclude putting it on "upside down".
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I realized the writing is upside down. With it mounted the other way, the decal doesn't show at all. I looked at it carefully and saw no difference. It seemed to not have any bends that would preclude putting it on "upside down".
    There isn't any 'Right Side Up' on the bar. It is symetrical and can be mounted either way.

I realize that the decal will either be upside down, or not visible when mounted. Maybe I should attach them differently. But really, very few people are going to crawl up under a Spyder to see that sticker.

Nice sticker though. A shame to hide it away. I get these from Pete Ameno at PowerSportsWraps (a sponser here at Spyderlovers). Very high quality products and highly recommended for anything graphic that you want to stick to something. They are tough and don't fade like most. I really like that.

You can click on this banner ad link to see samples of what they have.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There isn't any 'Right Side Up' on the bar. It is symetrical and can be mounted either way.

I realize that the decal will either be upside down, or not visible when mounted. Maybe I should attach them differently. But really, very few people are going to crawl up under a Spyder to see that sticker.

Nice sticker though. A shame to hide it away. I get these from Pete Ameno at PowerSportsWraps (a sponser here at Spyderlovers). Very high quality products and highly recommended for anything graphic that you want to stick to something. They are tough and don't fade like most. I really like that.

You can click on this banner ad link to see samples of what they have.

Ron

I suspect you would not want to send the stickers out Separately as its a safeguard against someone copying your product and just sticking the sticker on - Fully agree with that

Perhaps you could supply a 2nd sticker for owners to keep - I place any stickers for items iv'e fitted to my Spyder in my service record along with the date and mileage at the time it was fitted, this just gives a complete history of when items were added and the mileage at any various dates

I will be ordering one of your Swaybars for my RT because of the good reports and knowing not only all your
    R & D that's gone into it but I have already have a set of your HT Leads and Plugs for my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model which are excellent and have been in use since Jan 2012 mileage was 4,480 when these were fitted my Spyder is now approaching 10,000 miles

I live in the UK so my order will be via an international carrier
    The only problem with ordering at this time of year - (Run up to Christmas and the New Year break) esp with International mail - Items suffering from long delays at Customs etc and some go missing altogether

Would it be possible to place an order now for one to be shipped to the UK in early Jan 2013 and if so
    How do I reserve one and do you require part payment to ensure one can be held for me or could you hold one for me and Invoice me in early Jan and once payment received you will then send it out

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 12-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just finished the installation of my Baja Ron anti sway bar on my 2012 RT. As others have said, it took about an hour. The instructions with the bar and info/photos on this site make it a very easy project. The frunk was loosened but not removed as suggested.

After a short (30 mile) ride on the local twisty roads after the installation, I could tell that there was a noticeable improvement over my previous handling. I have Elka Stage 1R+ on the front.

In my opinion, the bar swap-out is a very nice change for a reasonable price. I believe most people should notice improved handling. Less leaning, a more stable front end, and better planted to the ground. Which equals more fun to me.

Thanks Ron.

What's next from your bag of tricks? I'm pretty sure I will want it too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here are a couple of comparison pictures of the BajaRon bar and stock.
    IMG_0533.jpgIMG_0534.jpg