Spyder Garage

Default Miles and Check~ups

As many of you know I have a Re~Gifted that runs great!

I have put on over 1,300 miles on it in justs a few days.

It had the first 500 mile check up. Now it haas over 3,700 miles on it.

I am about to embark on the second leg of my journey from Texas to Oregon.

My question is about the 3000 mile check up? (I missed for obvious reasons).

Should I get it into a shop for the check up or can I let it slide for a few more miles??

Few more miles will be over 2,000 by the time I get to Oregon. Maybe over 6,000 total miles.

Any Suggestions?

Spyder Garage

If you have an SE, and do not have the new transmission filter, I would have it serviced. If you do decide to stretch it, se sure to have it serviced immediately at the first sign of shifting slowness or problems. If you have a manual, you might get by, especially if you are using good quality, full synthetic oil. Better safe than sorry, though. Servicing things along the road is one of the things a long-distance rider has to take into account, and plan or be prepared for.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Miles ~ check up

My is an RS~S M5

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would agree with Scotty...aka Nancy's toy....enjoy your next leg of the trip

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Check your clutch and brake fluid etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    As many of you know I have a Re~Gifted that runs great!

I have put on over 1,300 miles on it in justs a few days.

It had the first 500 mile check up. Now it haas over 3,700 miles on it.

I am about to embark on the second leg of my journey from Texas to Oregon.

My question is about the 3000 mile check up? (I missed for obvious reasons).

Should I get it into a shop for the check up or can I let it slide for a few more miles??

Few more miles will be over 2,000 by the time I get to Oregon. Maybe over 6,000 total miles.

Any Suggestions?
    I just lost my clutch yesterday due to low brake fluid. I got air in the line due to low fluid. I was lucky, it happened while at my dealer. I have 9000 miles on the spyder and have done the 600 mile and 3000 mile check at the dealer but changed my own oil at 6000 miles. I did not pay attention to the brake or clutch fluid level and paid the price for my lack of concern.

Spyder Garage

Default 3 WORDS

I HAVE 3 WORDS OF ADVISE: SERVICE SERVICE & SERVICE....
    i've always been a CAR/BIKE NUT... meticulous in every way... in over 50 years of driving/ryding, i've only been stranded once, which was not a fault of my own.
    start by reading your service manual, and follow it to the 'T'... sure a few hundred miles over on an oil change won't hurt... but don't stretch it too far... use the 10% factor - if your bike requires an oil change at 3000 miles, don't go over 300 additional miles... all oils will still lubricate during this period... on long rydes, check you fluids regularly: after each days ryde. tire psi is also extremely important... most importantly, service yourself... make sure you get a good nights sleep each night, so to be alert during your ride... stop occasionally to stretch your legs and hydra & dehydra yourself... ryde safely and ENJOY your trip...
    SAM_0320.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    My is an RS~S M5
    You should be OK. BRP has extended the normal oil change interval to 4,600 miles, and you had one at around 600. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to go to close to the 6K mark...but I wouldn't push any farther. Be sure the new, reinforced BRP oil filter is used at the oil change (or BajaRon's Hi-Flo filter). It will remove any worries about the filter collapsing if you stretch your oil change interval. I'd also begin using a good grade of full synthetic oil like Amsoil or Castrol RS R4 4T. You can go farther on a good synthetic before it degrades badly. Another good technique is changing the oil just prior to a long trip, even if it isn't time yet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I called my dealers tech and asked him about going over the mileage and gave me thumps up before my trip.

You can change your oil early like one of our member suggested. Good luck and ride safe.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod