Thread: Buzz

Spyder Garage

Default Buzz

At certain higher speeds, I get a "buzz" as I accelerate or decelerate. I was thinking it might be the belt fluttering. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
    Thanks, Bernie

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it actually speed, or rpm related?
    Which "certain speeds" are we talking about?
    It certainly could be the belt; some more information might help some of the folks here who have dealt with belt vibes be able to answer your question.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Belt harmonics.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it come and go as you pass through a particular RPM? If so... yes, belt harmonics. Check that you have the correct belt tension and alignment.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

At first I thought it was at 5100 RPM in 3rd gear, but then I noticed it at around 75 mph, but I don't know the rpm's. I'll need to get more data.

Im not sure I'm mechanically adept enough to check the belt tension and alignment. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

By the way... On another note... The manual says oil change at 3000 miles. I read on another web site that BRP changed that to 4600 miles. Any truth to that?

thanks for all the help.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hberninger View Post
    At first I thought it was at 5100 RPM in 3rd gear, but then I noticed it at around 75 mph, but I don't know the rpm's. I'll need to get more data.

Im not sure I'm mechanically adept enough to check the belt tension and alignment. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

By the way... On another note... The manual says oil change at 3000 miles. I read on another web site that BRP changed that to 4600 miles. Any truth to that?

thanks for all the help.
    Get the same thing on my wife's new RT. I'm thinking belt with the torque from the motor. Thinking about getting the belt tension from the guy here. I think that will fix my problem. I know it's not the tension. Checked it and bike only has 675 miles on it. I was riding it today and noticed at 75 mph it would do it. Not all the time but when it needed to give it a little throttle like a small hill. But somewhere around 5200 rpm's seems to be the range.
    David

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Before jumping on the belt as being the issue (though its a good chance it is) check all of the body panel screws for tightness and then take a soft hammer and lightly tap around the bike. My 09 RS had a persistent buzz at certain speeds that drove me nuts. It turned out to be a bottom splash guard that vibrated enough to be felt in the foot pegs. I fixed it and the buzz went away.

Spyder Garage

If it is the belt it won't be RPM specific. It will do it in a certain gear at a certain speed. It may vibrate in more than one gear but very unlikely at the same RPM.

If it is a loose something or other then it will buzz at a specific RPM in every gear.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thanks for all the help.
    BRP sent out a card seveal months ago to take to your scoot to your dealer and get a panel changed out to make oil filter(s) more accessible. They also repalce the filter(s) and increased the oil change to 4,600 miles. You should have received the card or if a new unit, it may already have the new panel. Check with your dealer with your VIN number...a phone call to the service folks should save you a trip.

Last edited by Mr. White; 12-14-2012 at 12:06 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm...I've read (I think maybe on this forum in earlier days) and also in other forums and magazines that belt driven cycles tend to have a band of speed that creates a harmonic vibration. Same models can have different bands at different speeds but almost all have it somewhere. I know I get this consistently on the Spyder at 62-66 (whether I'm accelerating up or coming down from a higher speed - regardless I get a "bbbrrrrrrr" sound (like trilling your tongue) as well as a bit of vibration. I also have the same situation on my BMW F800ST only its band of sound/vibration is 69-72. After I was told this was normal I just regard it as a "speed alert" and don't mind it.

I'm hoping Scotty will weigh in on this because I believe he had written about this phenomenon; of course, that's even assuming that's what you're dealing with. You could have a different issue.

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the help.
    The oil change mileage is only if you have the newer oil filter installed.
    BTW ......Hi Jane......Glad to see you back.....

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Cool buzz / flutter

my 2012 RT gets a fluttering from the belt at 70-75mph (comes n goes), NOT no more since installing the smoothspyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get the same....Highway speeds and very light throttle. Give it a bit more throttle and it goes away....Normal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    Hmmm...I've read (I think maybe on this forum in earlier days) and also in other forums and magazines that belt driven cycles tend to have a band of speed that creates a harmonic vibration. Same models can have different bands at different speeds but almost all have it somewhere. I know I get this consistently on the Spyder at 62-66 (whether I'm accelerating up or coming down from a higher speed - regardless I get a "bbbrrrrrrr" sound (like trilling your tongue) as well as a bit of vibration. I also have the same situation on my BMW F800ST only its band of sound/vibration is 69-72. After I was told this was normal I just regard it as a "speed alert" and don't mind it.

I'm hoping Scotty will weigh in on this because I believe he had written about this phenomenon; of course, that's even assuming that's what you're dealing with. You could have a different issue.
    I don't think I could have described it any better than you did. There are lots of possible causes for sounds, vibrations, or sounds induced by vibrations. Virtually all motorcycles seem to have them...although some makes/models are worse than others, and some individual bikes are worse than others...or at least different. The belt is a common source. There is a reason that BRP uses a sonic gauge to test the tension. That should tell us something. Sound is vibration. Also possible are body parts, loose components, or the engine itself. You are probably familiar with the roughness and vibration that result from having the cylinders tuned a little differently from each other on some bikes...especially twins.

My advice to those that have a noise or vibration is to ride the dealers's demo to compare. If yours is worse, and objectionable, have the tech ride them both and compare, then try to figure out why. It can be a challenge, and in the end may not be able to be changed readily anyway. For instance, the throttle bodies cannot be calibrated by the tech on a Spyder, in order to balance the cylinders. They are factory set and sealed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I get the same....Highway speeds and very light throttle. Give it a bit more throttle and it goes away....Normal.
    My spyder does this too, I normally let off the throttle down a few mph and then speed back up and it goes away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    My spyder does this too, I normally let off the throttle down a few mph and then speed back up and it goes away.
    So does my friends 2011 RS and the dealers personal RT. Everything on both our spyders is within spec....It's just part of the machine...
    A saying we have in the jetski world: "Ride more, worry less"....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure BRP keep tracks on our threads and take notes and help us to combat all our worries, concerns and do something and keep us Happy SPYDER owners and future owners.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I've just never noticed any buzziness in my bike because I simply don't ride up there at those mphs or rpms...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are a couple spots in the RPM range where you may feel some V-twin buzzing in the pegs for 200-300 RPM's. The belt vibration is much more noticeable and will usually subside the second you ease up on the gas and reduce the loading on the belt. Try going over a hill and keeping the RPM's in that buzz zone, if it gets worse going up the hill under a load and goes away going down the other side it is probably belt related, if it doesn't make a difference it is more than likely motor related. 5100 RPM's seem to be a rough spot in the motor, that is where a lot of the grinding was taking place in the 2010 RT's from the motor mount pad settling and letting the bolt grind on the frame.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    BTW ......Hi Jane......Glad to see you back.....

Thanks - been out riding during the day and fund raising for our local food pantry at nights from my kitchen table/computer so not much "Spyderlovers" time. Merry Christmas!