Spyder Garage

Default Thumbs down for BRP

As some of you my remember I had some paint come off the front of my 2011 RT. My dealer tried talking to them about n they keep saying that there has been front end damage. They have denied the claim an said they are not gonna fix it..

This s the 2nd can am that I have owned n it will be the last. If they don't care any more about their customers then this then they can stick it.. I was also gonna purchase the BRP best warranty, but not now. I am not gonna pend that money to be turned down when it comes time or them to step up...

Spyder Garage

Default sorry for bad luck

Ky Guy,
    ,I am terribly sorry BRP has gone this direction. Everyone on sl should take notice and let them know all we want is fair and reasonable service.
    I hope this doesn't effect your efforts you give all of us on the Ky ride each year. We really appreciate what you do to make that great. I would think the local dealer would jump in to make a happy customer. These are not cheap purchases.
    Jerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the damage was caused by not proper prep work in the paint dept.

I have painted many cars and motorcycles in my life.. Fiberglass, steel, aluminum.. the bottom line is, if the prep work wasn't done correctly the paint will lift and flake off.. but you know that.

Seems the folks at BRP might be concerned about more people coming forward with this issue, and they might even know there was a bad run in 2011 in the paint dept. and won't fess up to it..

For a company, this large, to deny this is a shame..

I know a guy that bought/traded, a new HD every year for over 15 years.. Had a problem with one and HD said it was customer error.. He now rides BMW's

Sorry about the outcome.. don't blame you for being miffed

Spyder Garage

Default paint

My 2011 RT-S Viper Red had the paint peeling off at the juncture of the fronk lid and nose. the peeling was about half inch wide and 3 inches long. It took 3 months and alot of photographs but they finally sent an entire front end. I thought they would just repaint it. They said it was a factory paint defect! Sorry for your results. Might try another dealer!
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My RS has an area about half the size of a dime (please don't ask me if it is the size of a nickle) that has peeled off. My bike is red and black. The area peeling is located on a red portion of the bike, but it is black underneath. Go figure. I am not HAPPY either. If it gets any larger, I will be complaining to someone also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    My RS has an area about half the size of a dime (please don't ask me if it is the size of a nickle) that has peeled off. My bike is red and black. The area peeling is located on a red portion of the bike, but it is black underneath. Go figure. I am not HAPPY either. If it gets any larger, I will be complaining to someone also.
    Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't wait to show your dealer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your issue and its final results. You would think something like that would be backed by them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't wait to show your dealer.
    Let your dealer know about it so that the process can begin...

"Tucky", Don't give up on this; Is your dealer backing your claim, or have they stayed away from the fight?
    If BRP is saying that it's damage; ask THEM to show you where the damage is.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This sounds like a small claims court issue. These parts and their installation is not inexpensive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry this happen, the more documentations, picture, dealer involvement and persistant hope will solve your issue good luck and don't give up , other people got bigger issue than yours.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I followed this and saw the pictures.

It is unfortunate you are having this problem.

It could be wise for all others to closely check their Spyders often for any small sign of problems like this one so it can be brought to the attention of your dealer as early as it occurs.

In looking at the pictures, it appeared the spot where the paint came-off was a fairly large area I find would be hard to imagine it came-off in a short period of time.

In other words, this looked like it was happening over a period of time; which shouldn't matter if it is in fact a defect; however if had been caught earlier it would have been easier to make a case to have it fixed or replaced.

Again, I am not saying this wasn't a paint defect; but rather that all of us should be checking our machines in detail more often than we possibly do.

Good luck; but I suspect you will simply just have to get the part repainted yourself.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default poor attitude by BRP

well It seems the company made its Millions and dont care about the customer anymore I wrote them about my torx screws all comming loose and they said thanks for the email will take note of it but did not say anything about remedy to the problem so this will be my last bike I get from a company that dont care anymore back to a Goldwing when I trade next time again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    well It seems the company made its Millions and dont care about the customer anymore I wrote them about my torx screws all comming loose and they said thanks for the email will take note of it but did not say anything about remedy to the problem so this will be my last bike I get from a company that dont care anymore back to a Goldwing when I trade next time again
    AMEN. A quality bike from a quality company that actuall cares about their people. I got it out yesterday an it is tying to go into limp mode n says brake failure.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you been able to show anyone the damage in person? The only photos I saw posted made the whole thing look pretty bad. The metallic paint looks horrific with a flash on as I've found out myself with mine. I remember you got pretty angry when someone mentioned it looked sandblasted. That's the flash on the metallic paint. So, having someone see it in person would help (I hope) but, baring that taking the spyder outside and getting some good shots wide angle and zoomed in with natural light and no flash might help too if you haven't already done so.

But yeah, I do like the idea of standing there in front of someone and asking "where's the damage? and how did it happen?" They won't be able to come up with a scenario for peeling paint with no damage, scratches or scuffs. Keep fighting. I work in customer service and sometimes it's not a company telling you no, it's a single person and that person might be wrong.

Good luck!
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyguy View Post
    AMEN. A quality bike from a quality company that actuall cares about their people. I got it out yesterday an it is tying to go into limp mode n says brake failure.
    Check your brake fluid level. It is probably a tiny bit low. Checking fluid levels is not the manufacturer's responsibility.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Check your brake fluid level. It is probably a tiny bit low. Checking fluid levels is not the manufacturer's responsibility.
    Its fine. That's the first thing that I checked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    Have you been able to show anyone the damage in person? The only photos I saw posted made the whole thing look pretty bad. The metallic paint looks horrific with a flash on as I've found out myself with mine. I remember you got pretty angry when someone mentioned it looked sandblasted. That's the flash on the metallic paint. So, having someone see it in person would help (I hope) but, baring that taking the spyder outside and getting some good shots wide angle and zoomed in with natural light and no flash might help too if you haven't already done so.

But yeah, I do like the idea of standing there in front of someone and asking "where's the damage? and how did it happen?" They won't be able to come up with a scenario for peeling paint with no damage, scratches or scuffs. Keep fighting. I work in customer service and sometimes it's not a company telling you no, it's a single person and that person might be wrong.

Good luck!
    here is the best pics i have..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Its fine. That's the first thing that I checked.
    Double check. The Spyder brake reservoir is notorious for appearing to be full, but another tablespoon or so of fluid alleviates the warning. If you are absolutely certain that it is full to the mark (ledge), then see your dealer. Could be a problem with the reservoir switch, or a serious brake problem.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

here is the best pics i have..
    Yeah, those are the ones I saw. The metallic flakes come out white which looks like little chips or dings. Basically it makes it look much worse which could lead to someone not knowing any better saying that you have bigger problem.

Let's say you trip and fall down skinning your knee and because you hit a pointy rock you also have a gash. That's a bit of what this looks like. The paint missing is the gash and the metallic flecks look like a rash. I was trying to take a photo with my phone the other day while the spyder was in the garage. Holy crap it looked terrible! If the person looking at these photos doesn't know what the flash does to the paint inside they will think any spec or spot is damage. That's why I asked if you took it to someone to see it in person.

Please, try taking the spyder outside and try to get some photos without flash. Take some that show the whole front end of the spyder and take some closer up. That way they can see the overall paint quality, the cleanliness, the fact that there isn't any roadrash/sandblast looking issues. If you can do this compare the photos side-by-side and you will see that they look completely different. However, the best thing would be if someone would see this in person.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    Yeah, those are the ones I saw. The metallic flakes come out white which looks like little chips or dings. Basically it makes it look much worse which could lead to someone not knowing any better saying that you have bigger problem.

Let's say you trip and fall down skinning your knee and because you hit a pointy rock you also have a gash. That's a bit of what this looks like. The paint missing is the gash and the metallic flecks look like a rash. I was trying to take a photo with my phone the other day while the spyder was in the garage. Holy crap it looked terrible! If the person looking at these photos doesn't know what the flash does to the paint inside they will think any spec or spot is damage. That's why I asked if you took it to someone to see it in person.

Please, try taking the spyder outside and try to get some photos without flash. Take some that show the whole front end of the spyder and take some closer up. That way they can see the overall paint quality, the cleanliness, the fact that there isn't any roadrash/sandblast looking issues. If you can do this compare the photos side-by-side and you will see that they look completely different. However, the best thing would be if someone would see this in person.
    The guys at my dealer have seen it first hand.. They told BRP that there was no damage or so they say they did. They then told me that i needed to call BRP an they were out of it.. I am about to the point of taking it to them an telling them not to call me until it is fixed.. I am fed up with BRP an my dealer. It's all a bunch of B S

Spyder Garage

Default SORRY

OH MY, i am so sorry to hear this...
    i have almost 30,000 miles of care-free ryding on my '09 RS... and my SPYD3R dealer is gr8, and always goes to bat for us guys/gals...
    i'm almost scared to trade her in for a 2013....
    016.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The guys at my dealer have seen it first hand.. They told BRP that there was no damage or so they say they did. They then told me that i needed to call BRP an they were out of it..
    It's becoming apparent that your dealer isn't making much of an efffort on your behalf...

Ask them for the case # for the report of this issue and call BRP directly...
    Ask them what their conversations with the dealer have determined. Get the specific language for the calls that the dealer supposedly made on your behalf.
    Do you need the phone numbers for them? I've called them several times and they've been helpful in each instance.
    As deep as you are into this; it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's becoming apparent that your dealer isn't making much of an efffort on your behalf...

Ask them for the case # for the report of this issue and call BRP directly...
    Ask them what their conversations with the dealer have determined. Get the specific language for the calls that the dealer supposedly made on your behalf.
    Do you need the phone numbers for them? I've called them several times and they've been helpful in each instance.
    As deep as you are into this; it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Please pm me there number. I have a case ID number. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Sending it to you this evening...