Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post RETIRED WITH HARLEY FATBOY

TOTALY CONFUSED bying can-am but what model and options No long trips thre RTS RT ST SM5 SE5 Some say touring is big and clumsey Give me your take on best all around can-am for the money? Used is their much difference from 2009 to 2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    TOTALY CONFUSED bying can-am but what model and options No long trips thre RTS RT ST SM5 SE5 Some say touring is big and clumsey Give me your take on best all around can-am for the money? Used is their much difference from 2009 to 2010
    I have an Ultra in my garage alongside a new RT-S, so obviously I'm a touring guy. If I could state "no long trips", I would probably have a softail of some variety and an Spyder ST. I have no experience on a Spyder other than the RT-S, but I've been satisfied with it, although I'm sure I'm dealing with a higher center of gravity than with the ST. BTW, I love the SE5. The "big and clumsy" reference may be akin to the bagger vs non-bagger scenario with HD riders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More than half of the fun is in the shopping!
    I'd strongly sugges that you hit a dealership and wangle some test rides out of them somehow...
    I've got an RT and never noticed any awkwardness in it's handling characteristics.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have the RT Limited and love the ride and the stability. Good luck on your decision..

Harley & Darlene

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wife rides a 2010 RT and Loves it. Not big and clumsy. I ride a GW Trike and much more 'Big and Clumsy"
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT & it is only as clumsy as I am, never more or less.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now I DID ride an ST Limited (2013 model)
    AWESOME improvement over my 2010 RT...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All good answers above. To me the seatingposition/windshield are the big things. Storage as above. Another big thing is riding single or double. At least sit on the different model at dealers. I had 08 GS/RS (changed RS when RT came out) and now a 2010 RT. Loved them both. but seating waas a huge factor to me.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Cer,
    I recently traded my Road Glide that I had for 8 years for an RTS SE5. I loved the Road Glide, but wouldn't trade back. My wife was not comfortable on the Road Glide, but likes riding on the Spyder. As far as an RT vs an ST, if 2-up and longer trips, I don't think you can beat the RT. if one only rides solo, or just shorter day trips, then maybe the sportier ST might be the choice.

I had a hard time deciding between the manual shift versus the semi-automatic. I took the leap of faith and got the semi-automatic. Once again, I'm very happy with my semi-automatic.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

I've owned both the RS and RT - given that you have an Ultra now, the RTS is the closest for features - with the Spyder having more.

Next, how big are you, smaller riders think the RS is OK, larger riders (me) are never really comfortable riding the RS. If you like sport bikes, think RS…..

Stock, the RS is faster, but with a few key farkles, the RT can be just as fast, and 100% more comfortable. The RT is more expensive, but you can get a good low milage used RT in the $18K range, which is a good deal.

Finally, if you ride two up, and coming off the Ultra, your SO will appreciate the RT seat & back support.

Many of these comparisons will also cover the new ST, but the ST ergos put you in a more upright riding position - right between the RT & RS.. Now you need to choose between the SE or SM transmission…..

Have fun.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    supposedly an RS is a Roadster SPORTSTER is soportier has6 hp more than the RT or Roadster TOURING. The SE is electronic shifter or semi automatic, The SM is a manual shift. The 5 is just 5 gears. I have had an 09 RS and it was really fun and fast. I even got the BRP trailer to hitch on to it ( they say NOT TO TOW A TRAILER WITH THIS ONE) iT DIDN'T HURT IT ANY!!! The RT-S( has fog lights and an air bag thingy for the passenger ride comfort.)The Touring bike is as it says TOURING. VERY comfortable, legs if short like mine in a comfortable possition, also have pads out on the "wing" to put my feet on to stretch them out some. As far as I know all RT's come with the same things standard, then you get to add some things if you go to the Limited. It's like the top of the line of any vehicle. Keep reading about these really great machines here on SL. You can't get any better info than here and it's right from the users of the vehicle. They aren't gona lie about the good -bad or ugly!!! Like I said had em both but comfort won out.

Spyder Garage

I love my 2012 RT-S

I have been riding from 1982 with 3 big crashes sad to say under my belt. Thank you Lord for saving my butt so many times.

Now I spent the last 19 years on a Goldwing and I will tell you I would not give up my RT-S.
    At first I thought I would miss my Goldwing but after a short time with the Spyder my wife and I are riding more and more. Hell I am riding in the cold weather 28deg is not a big problem now and I do love having all that storage in an RT.

Tell you what, you will find that you will take longer trips after buying a Spyder any model.
    They are a lot of fun to ride and hang out with other riders.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default Just got off an Electra Glide

The change to a Spyder is quite different. It took me 2K to really fell comfortable, a 50 mi test ride after owning Harleys for years almost shut me down on my decision to switch to the Spyder, I'm glad I made the switch. I have a RT SM5 the manual made me feel a little better in the switch from Harley, but my next RT will be to the SE. Miss my Harley occasionally, but I probably won't be going back, these things have a way of growing on yah.

Spyder Garage

Default RETIRED WITH HARLEY FATBOY

I have the 2012 RTS es5 and I just love it PGR.jpg3660R.jpgIMG_3590.jpgIMG_3253.jpgIMG_0603.jpg