Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Did BRP do this just to confuse us?

Hello all,

The more comfortable I get on my spyder, the more questions come to mind. The one that has been nagging me lately is "how fast will the spyder go?". Now I was smart enough to do a search and see that Lamonster had a post about speed back in 09'. The rest of the Internet has more posts but the one common theme is that there is no consensus of what the spyder will do. I've seen ranges up to 135mph. Now I personally don't see myself ever trying to max out the spyder, I haven't even tried that in my truck or cars I've owned(just too risky in my opinion). The thing that bugs me the most is why does the speedometer show 200 if the spyder tops out at 125 - 135? You may say well it's not made in America and KM is used, but you can take a car here and find the same model in another country and the steering wheel will be on the side that country uses so why would it be different for the speedometer? No biggie of course because the spyder does what I need it do, but just made me "scratch" my head.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPEED

I had my 08 GS up to 115 mph while I was testing my " home made/designed " touring windshield and I know people have said that their speedo is not very accurate......I had mine checked with / against RADAR and the 115 is the corrected figure ......the speedo actually read 117 mph........Take it or leave .......PS I don't think the Spyder was topped out speed wise.....I was....... .....and this was done on a closed course....not a Public Highway.........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-08-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

The same speedometer is used for both English and metric readings. It is switched in the setup menus. The needle then shows the correct reading on a single scale. The speedometer reads to 200 KPH, which is 124 MPH. Most speedometers these days have dual scales, the Spyder sppedo "switches gears" electronically instead.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That "200" is there on the gauge to impress the idly curious...
    They'll certainly go fast enough to cost you everything!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That "200" is there on the gauge to impress the idly curious...
    They'll certainly go fast enough to cost you everything!
    Bob - I should have known that the 200 wasn't possible. If you are going 50mph in 3rd gear, then 4th and 5th gear would have to range from 60mph to 200mph. Now that would be gears with loooong range.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I switched over to the "Canadian" side of the scale once just so I could see what it felt like to go down the road doing "100"...

Spyder Garage

RE: the speedometer. I have had several people note that my will do 200 mph. I did not say anything to rain on their parade or change their thoughts about the subject.

The speedo changes over from MPH to KPH with the push of a button. When we took our trip to Canada a couple years back, it only took me about 5 seconds to make the change on the RT. It was fun driving down some roads at 120 (kph ).

Like most, I have never tested the limits of the and about 95 mph (indicated) is the fastest I have driven any of my 's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's one of the most fun reactions that I get to see...

"200; Wow!!"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, BR1 will go nearly 190mph....when I go off a cliff into a wind shear....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I do over a 100 all the time! KMH!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default BONNEVILLE

can't remember who, but somebody in Florida now has the LAND SPEED RECORD for SPYD3R's, which was set at the BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, in UTAH this past year... and if i remember correctly, it's something like 124 mph... or maybe 134, not quite sure...

i'll stick with 80 MAX, which is rare... ryding my SPYD3R is far too much fun, to end it trying to impress myself or somebody else...
    013.jpg

Spyder Garage

Cool There's a thread

I remember a fairly recent thread where I beleave Len maxed one out in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, but wouldn't tell what he got out of 4th and 5th. I think Doc just set the record on the Salt Flats. I'm sure he will Chime in.

Spyder Garage

Can't seem to get the link to the page, but here you go...

docdoru

Last edited by docdoru; 10-02-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Subject to FIM Ratification
    2012 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: the speedometer. I have had several people note that my will do 200 mph. I did not say anything to rain on their parade or change their thoughts about the subject.

The speedo changes over from MPH to KPH with the push of a button. When we took our trip to Canada a couple years back, it only took me about 5 seconds to make the change on the RT. It was fun driving down some roads at 120 (kph ).

Like most, I have never tested the limits of the and about 95 mph (indicated) is the fastest I have driven any of my 's.

I called a salesman at a dealer (I won't say who) asking when they would be getting any ST's in. This is his response. "You mean a 2012 Limited? We still have some in stock." Me: No, I mean the ST, the model in between the RS and the RT. Long pause, "It will be several months before we get any 2013's in."
    I wonder if he knows that Spyders will go 200 mph. Its on the Speedometer.

Last edited by OldDog; 12-08-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

I heard someplace the speedometer needle is kind of matching the RMP needle on the gauges. I agree with Km fun. I remember the first time I rode a BSA. It went from o to 130 or so real fast. I was kind of deflated when I found out, it 80 or so.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I've heard that the RS will max at 165MPH. Not sure about the RT. Had my 2010 RT up to 105MPH and backed out because I was running out of staright road and had some vibration. The question I asked is: does the Spyder have a chip in the ECU that limits the speed?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Fast enough and in a hurry

All I know is that I drive in 4th around 60 mph pretty much all the time. This fall a Corvette was putzing around ahead of me and I decided to pass, he hit the gas. I cranked it and went around him at 90 before I shifted. I'm no Corvette expert so I don't know if that should have been possible but he appeared to be making an effort. It gave me a smile to know I had more left after 4th gear....
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

And here all this time I thought the speedo automatically switched over at the Candian border!

So you're telling me that it doesn't? Now that's messed up!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I've heard that the RS will max at 165MPH. Not sure about the RT. Had my 2010 RT up to 105MPH and backed out because I was running out of staright road and had some vibration. The question I asked is: does the Spyder have a chip in the ECU that limits the speed?
    The Spyder does not have a chip to limit the top speed, or programming in the ECU. It does have a rev limiter that works in all the gears. As I recall, the theoretical top speed when I calculated it was south of 140...but the Spyder hasn't the horsepower to overcome the wind resistance and get to max rpm in high gear.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I won't say where or when but my 2010 RT riding 1 up has seen 115 MPH and still had some throttle left.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love my spyder

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The Spyder does not have a chip to limit the top speed, or programming in the ECU. It does have a rev limiter that works in all the gears. As I recall, the theoretical top speed when I calculated it was south of 140...but the Spyder hasn't the horsepower to overcome the wind resistance and get to max rpm in high gear.
    I use the most time the KMs/Hour - on my very first GS there was no "limiter" for the top speed - but they changed the software - now she limits the maximum RPMs (only) in the 5th gear ... my RT with the smaller shield / without the flaps / lying on the Tank - is not able to come over 173kmh/ 106 mpH ... don`t ask how much fuel she used for this "tests"
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There is a nut that can limit the speed............it's on the seat!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    now she limits the maximum RPMs (only) in the 5th gear ... my RT with the smaller shield / without the flaps / lying on the Tank - is not able to come over 173kmh/ 106 mph
    The rpm limiter works in any gear... I've bounced off of mine (9200) a couple of times while running up through them in a spritely fashion...