Spyder Garage

Default cheaply made spyder

I love my spyder but am anoyed the body connections was so so cheaply made most are push pin RUBBER or torx screw into Plastic come on BRP we spend 25k on a bike and you make it to be light but cheaply made of rubber connectors I rather of paid another $500 and have a quality composed body then one that the screws dont stay tight or even tighten up my new machine less then 1000 miles on it and already the body pannels screws are comming loose try a little better next time

Spyder Garage

What body panel screws????? I haven't found any screw that screws into plastic. Each screw has has a nut-type connection to make sure it can be tightened and not strip.
    Last edited by Dudley; 12-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I used to think the same thing, but I have softened my opinion a bit realizing you really got a lot for your money [tech, design, safety] and in my three years living with the RS, I haven't had any problems with the fasteners or any panel.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

The Torx screws don't go into plastic, they screw into metal speed nut clips that are installed in the plastic.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If you have a RT you will want to put a Piece of Gorilla tape on the Speed metal clip in the middle of the Side middle panel because More than once I have tightened a few screws and then the metal clip on that one falls off to the side and you Start All over!!
    I won,t be taking the side panels off the RT half as much as I do the GS because DAT mirror Does Not have an infinite number of Take Offs?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    I used to think the same thing, but I have softened my opinion a bit realizing you really got a lot for your money [tech, design, safety] and in my three years living with the RS, I haven't had any problems with the fasteners or any panel.

Three years living with the RS, you make it sound like you're married or sleep in the same bed
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MLavore View Post
    Three years living with the RS, you make it sound like you're married or sleep in the same bed
    Well she does have her own room [half the garage] and the wife doesn't seem to mind, so I just may be a bigamist
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

I have had no problems with the body panels coming off any of my four ,s. My dealer had a panel drop off his 2010 RT a couple times though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    I used to think the same thing, but I have softened my opinion a bit realizing you really got a lot for your money [tech, design, safety] and...
    ...airplane tickets!?!
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder in the shop

Had over flowing through the coolant tank dealer had it 5 weeks new radiator new water pump new gaskets.They drove it for a hour was fine I was driving home had to pass a car and yes its back they never fixed it they never kicked it in the butt they like sunday drivers 65 mphor better is when it overflows not happy with the service I get at my dealer Talbot power sports. Wasn t out of the shop for 45 mins

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW, that was tough to read!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that's been stuffed in here in maybe three places now too...
    Tough read; no matter where you put it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

spyderpoop

use looktight on screw all the time ,same problems with all bike in the world and brand , calls vibrations
    great feed back with pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the nicko View Post
    spyderpoop

use looktight on screw all the time ,same problems with all bike in the world and brand , calls vibrations
    Never use Loctite on a fastener that is screwed into, passes through, or mounts plastic to the threaded surface below. The plastic will craze, crack, and can fail if any Loctiote touches the plastic or squeezes out. Loctite makes plastics very brittle, and shrinks them.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baldeagle55 View Post
    Had over flowing through the coolant tank dealer had it 5 weeks new radiator new water pump new gaskets.They drove it for a hour was fine I was driving home had to pass a car and yes its back they never fixed it they never kicked it in the butt they like sunday drivers 65 mphor better is when it overflows not happy with the service I get at my dealer Talbot power sports. Wasn t out of the shop for 45 mins
    All that from a body panel screw ?

Spyder Garage

I have had almost a dozen new bikes and god only knows how many used ones. BRP is no better or worse than any of the others. When they're out of heavy metal and built like a tank they're designed by some idiot in a vacumn. I have been flying for almost 50 years and BRP's are built far better than many aircraft I can tell you! That is where all the bikes are going nowadays - highly engineered and light material. It's like an airplane and YOU have to learn how to service it properly. With aircraft, if you don't learn the right way, you die. Real simple!
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

did anyone ever take the tupperware off a gold wing,worse than a spyder any day

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TLC is whatneeds
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

From my conversations with the OP, the fasteners in question were the security screws on an RT. The dealer apparently loosened them at the last service. Hopefully the problem can be corrected soon, but maybe not by the obviously uninformed technician that caused the problem in the first place.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

In some cases, punctuation would also do wonders...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I will say this about the screw/panel setup... the next Spyder I buy, I'm *most definitely* swapping out all the screws for Dzus fasteners the very first day home.

When I bought my RS, I remember reading folks talking about using Dzus fasteners. I figured I wouldn't need them, how many times would I have to take the panels off, really?

I've since lost track of how many times I've had to take panels off with mods/tweaks/cleaning/searching for items lost deep within. It's definitely often enough that putting on Dzus first thing would have more than made up for a zillion torx ratchet-hunting expeditions.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is overbuilt. Most of the time it's a good thing, until you need to pull panels off and service them. Then you wish it were like other tupperware bikes with more quick release push pin fasteners.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Its the Mirrors

Taking the plastic off has not been an issue, but every time I take the mirrors off, I wonder if the plastic will make it. There must be a better way of attaching the mirrors. They are getting looser and looser, in spite of the tension springs being tightened. The other issue is the plastic flexing each time the panels are removed. Obviously these panels are made so they can be removed, but I doubt they are made to come on and off as many times as they do.

The Spyder seems to be a well made, and possibly over engineered machine, but I do think some additional thought might have gone into the removal of panels etc.

Now if the could add two more gears so it revved a bit slower on the highway, and got a bit better gas mileage I'd be happy.

Spyder Garage

Default CHEAP

CHEAP...???
    I just did my 2nd OEM muffler MOD... 1 for my RS and now one for the RT... i challenge you to take one of these mufflers apart, and still tell me that BRP makes cheap stuff... these mufflers are BULLET PROOF...
    ROCK ON BRP....
    265.jpg