Spyder Garage

Default For the Mechanically challenged (like me)

I've started this thread because I've found that many times I simply did not understand the "how to do it" and other mechanical matters that are second nature to most. Because of this, I have an intense fear of even trying for fear that I may screw something up.

Additionally, I would think that there are many who are "computer challenged" to find out about this information. I realize there is a section specifically devoted to just this issue. However, I have still found it challenging.

Consequently, I asked if there was some other tool that would help. I used Google to search YouTube demonstrations of many of the things that are talked about. One such example was to type in "Panel Removal Can Am RT Spyder". I not only found Lamont's demo, but a plethora of other videos on "how to" do things. It was certainly eye opening, and has caused me to perhaps give these things a try.

I would urge any of you spyder lovers who fall in the same catagory as I to utilize Google and Youtube to see what you find.

Thanks for listening.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I've started this thread because I've found that many times I simply did not understand the "how to do it" and other mechanical matters that are second nature to most. Because of this, I have an intense fear of even trying for fear that I may screw something up.

Additionally, I would think that there are many who are "computer challenged" to find out about this information. I realize there is a section specifically devoted to just this issue. However, I have still found it challenging.

Consequently, I asked if there was some other tool that would help. I used Google to search YouTube demonstrations of many of the things that are talked about. One such example was to type in "Panel Removal Can Am RT Spyder". I not only found Lamont's demo, but a plethora of other videos on "how to" do things. It was certainly eye opening, and has caused me to perhaps give these things a try.

I would urge any of you spyder lovers who fall in the same catagory as I to utilize Google and Youtube to see what you find.

Thanks for listening.

Chris
    Learned how to fix kitchen sink faucet (Instead of Buying a New one) and Many , Many things on You Tube/ Google!
    Latest one was Cutting a windshield -- which is what I,ll do to the stock RT windshield by 2 inches (For Summer) once I recieve my CalSci windshield for the Cold months and any long trips!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Man, me and you both. I know how to check the tire pressure and adjust the headlights. Everything else to me is "out of my league". I am a mechanic's dream client because I need them for everything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I'm gonna bring a cot and stay here forever...
    Google and Youtube? I think I might have heard of them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I applaud your desire to find a way to learn, and to consider attempting simple maintenance or repairs. I have a few suggestions to help you along the way. First, know your limitations. If using a screwdriver is more than you have ever been able to manage without mangling what you were working on (or yourself), let a professional do it. Second, the time that you have to try to rebuild your engine beside the road is not the time to pull the panels for the first time. You don't need to have a pending job to remove your panels,, go out there and make an afternoon of pulling them off an putting them on, just for fun. You will soon find if it suits you. Try the simple maintenance tasks in your owners guide, such as checking the oil and checking coolant level...then work your way to harder tasks. Finally, don't expect to be able to learn what took many of us decades, in a few hours. Taking baby steps is the key to success.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First, know your limitations. Second, the time that you have to try to rebuild your engine beside the road is not the time to pull the panels for the first time. Try the simple maintenance tasks in your owners guide, such as checking the oil and checking coolant level...then work your way to harder tasks. Finally, don't expect to be able to learn what took many of us decades, in a few hours. Taking baby steps is the key to success.

winner.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even if you don't know a screwdriver from a hammer, the how to's serve other purposes for those who never intend to delve in to the Spyder's innards.
    1. They give you an understand of what needs to be done, so you can tell the dealer mechanic what needs to be serviced, and
    2. You get an idea of how complex or how long the process should take, and avoid some shop giving you the run around.

For instance I know what needs to be done to replace shocks, but doesn't mean I want to give up my Sunday afternoon doing it; and I would question any shop that quotes me 2 day's labor for it.

Additionally: When working on the Spyder I make sure I have the laptop handy. There have been more than once I needed to find out how to pull something apart or what that "spare" bolt was attached to so I could put it back.
    Last edited by asp125; 12-03-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Google, ;
    Can't sound smart with out it.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you can learn to do just about anything from you tube...sad thing is a 12-13 year old is teaching you....I love it.....thanks for sharing this post

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I think this INTERNET thing might really catch on!!!! or so I've heard
    ​KMORT44

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    Man, me and you both. I know how to check the tire pressure and adjust the headlights. Everything else to me is "out of my league". I am a mechanic's dream client because I need them for everything.
    Me to
    Me & My Babycakes

Spyder Garage

Add me to the list of people who are dangerous with tools. I have all sorts of tools still in the shrink wrap, that way I find someone who can do it, I tell them I have the tools, I just need someone to use them. My stress level/blood pressure goes up if I try anything mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post

Spyder Garage

I have performed a lot of mods on my RT and without the help of google and you tube (you tube was great for my CB install) I wouldn't have attempted half of them. I find that google searches leads me to the right thread on this site and some other Spyder forums. I have found this site to be the most informative of all the Spyder forums.

Some of the mods like fabricating a bracket to install the stebel horn required the use of power tools. So if you don't feel comfortable using power tools other than cordless screwdrivers/drills I would have someone else perform the mod. You don't want to attempt to install a mod and get a serious injury from improper usage of power tools.

Have your tablet or laptop nearby if you have one when during your mods. My IPAD is my favorite tool when perfoming mods.
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 12-04-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

What's this "internet" thing you guys are talking about?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimcrom View Post
    Add me to the list of people who are dangerous with tools.
    My pile of tools has an "007" sticker above it; license to KILL!