Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default driving in snow?

A silly question while people are headed to Daytona:

One of my thoughts when I put my deposit down last April was whether I could ride much in the winter. I rode motorcycles in snow here in New England (nervewracking), but I really thought, if I were dressed for snowmobiling, and if the roads were plowed enough for a car, a Spyder could do it.

I'm promised delivery this month, and I know I won't be able to just garage it until the snow melts (another foot fell last night).

With all you folks from northern states as well as our Canadian friends who've already got yours:

Have you ridden much in snow? Any impressions to share??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: driving in snow?

I live in Wisconsin, last week I couldn't take it anymore. The temperature got up to a balmy 39 degrees so I took the Spyder out for a spin. My side road is snow covered but the main roads were clear. I took it real easy on the snow covered road and had no problems. Once out on the dry pavement I let her rip. It was great! Everyone in town thought I was nuts but it was great. I never would have considered taking out my bike but the Spyder is a hole new ballgame. In the north country there's also the issue of sand & salt on the road. I fish tailed around a couple of turns but the Spyder responded great. When I got back to the snow covered road I purposely pushed it a little, it responded nicely but over confidence might be a problem. I gave her a good bath and put her back in the garage but I have a feeling she'll be coming out again soon. My traditional riding weather paradigm kept me from taking out the Spyder but I'm going to keep pushing my paradigm and the riding season.
    "When in doubt, take her out!" :a18:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Thanks, Polack. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Polack
    I live in Wisconsin, last week I couldn't take it anymore. The temperature got up to a balmy 39 degrees so I took the Spyder out for a spin. My side road is snow covered but the main roads were clear. I took it real easy on the snow covered road and had no problems. Once out on the dry pavement I let her rip. It was great! Everyone in town thought I was nuts but it was great. I never would have considered taking out my bike but the Spyder is a hole new ballgame. In the north country there's also the issue of sand & salt on the road. I fish tailed around a couple of turns but the Spyder responded great. When I got back to the snow covered road I purposely pushed it a little, it responded nicely but over confidence might be a problem. I gave her a good bath and put her back in the garage but I have a feeling she'll be coming out again soon. My traditional riding weather paradigm kept me from taking out the Spyder but I'm going to keep pushing my paradigm and the riding season.
    "When in doubt, take her out!" :a18:
    That is great to hear. My main concern would be corrosion from road salt, but it looks like you addressed that issue by immediately cleaning her up. :bigthumbsup:
    Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For Bruce Brown - Saw the "fight prostate cancer" phrase by your name. I am a prostate cancer survivor. Sysptom free for nearly 9 years following radical surgery.

Jack H.

Spyder Garage

I've had mine since November. It will handle any hard surface just fine, including hard pack snow. However, in 3 inches or more I just couldn't get any traction. As for corrosion... my foot pegs, brackets and rear sprocket are all being replaced as the paint has peeled of due to the metal corroding, in spite of trying hard to keep it clean. I'm in Vancouver Island where they use calcium chloride on the roads.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We took the Spyder out as a break from the last round of shoveling a little over a week ago. Traction requires a slow start, but the ABS kicked in fine. Our street gets no plow and no sand. Check it out!

Spyder Garage

;D :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barb36jack31
    For Bruce Brown - Saw the "fight prostate cancer" phrase by your name. I am a prostate cancer survivor. Sysptom free for nearly 9 years following radical surgery.

Jack H.
    That's great to hear, Jack! Our Motorcycle Ride for DAD has raised millions of dollars across Canada for prostate cancer research and education since its inception in 2000. We will be doing rides in 19 cities across Canada in 2008. I will be riding a demo Spyder this year at the London ride (May 25) courtesy of Uxbridge Small Engines, and BRP may be joining us with at least one more. For all the men on this forum, especially those 50 or more, see your doctor and get checked. Ask for a PSA test as well as a physical exam. It is not expensive, and it may save your life. Most men with prostate cancer don't know they have it, as there may be no obvious symptoms. Like Jack, if you catch it early enough, your chances of recovery are excellent! :bigthumbsup:
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
    Traction requires a slow start, but the ABS kicked in fine...
    That sure looks like fun---We're getting a half inch of ice on top of all the snow now. (Don't even mention "Dayton" around these parts.)

Maybe we have to petition BRP for the option of a studeed snow tire! ;D

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler
    Maybe we have to petition BRP for the option of a studeed snow tire! ;D
    If it takes as long to get the tires as it is to get the backrest, rack and wheel trim, I might be able to use them next winter. ;D