Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Whining when backing or rolling back

I just got my spyder on monday night and its an 2008 and we noticed that it is making a whining sound when backing up and even when just rolling back on its own (no brake applied). Does any one have any suggestions on what it could be or what I should do?

I am not sure what condition the previous owner kept it in, it only has 7K miles roughly on it and i bought it from a car dealership who had it as a trade along with a Chevy SSR it came with so i doubt it was worked on or moved once on the show room floor because they didnt know much about it to begin with, I think I knew more hah. Didnt know if its because it had been sitting for a while and not moved or what.

Any insight or suggestions would be great!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyders don't like to be rolled backwards, it makes them cry.

Mine too, as do many others here. something to do with the brakes dragging. I just try to get it over with as quickly as possible.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Spyders don't like to be rolled backwards, it makes them cry.

Mine too, as do many others here. something to do with the brakes dragging. I just try to get it over with as quickly as possible.
    so i have to deal with the noise then huh thats going to suck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brakes dragging seems to be the most logical answer...
    You could pull the pins out of the rear caliper, clean and lube it and see if that helps.
    Otherwise; the newer 3rd generation brake pads seem to cut down on the whining a lot too! While the pins are out; just drop them in!

Or are you backing over anybody's foot? THAT might be the cause!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SGSpyderGirl View Post
    so i have to deal with the noise then huh thats going to suck
    Someone here has McGuyver'd a fix. I'll see if I (or another member) can find the link.

{edit} Here it is -> http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=brake
    Last edited by asp125; 11-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Brakes dragging seems to be the most logical answer...
    You could pull the pins out of the rear caliper, clean and lube it and see if that helps.
    Otherwise; the newer 3rd generation brake pads seem to cut down on the whining a lot too! While the pins are out; just drop them in!

Or are you backing over anybody's foot? THAT might be the cause!
    haha as far as I know neither myself or the BF has backed over anyones foot yet...but I just talked to him and he thinks its something in the transmission he is feeling. He has been the only one to actually backed it up a good length. We put in a call to a can am tech to see if they have a suggestion or have seen it.

Someone here has McGuyver'd a fix. I'll see if I (or another member) can find the link.
    okay great i appreciate it, i tried searching but couldnt find anything so i figured i would ask

We are also going through an issue with the parking brake, when we first saw the bike they had to slam into the pedal to get it to release and common sense tells you there is something wrong when you have to do that to anything, so we have to figure out if the whole thing is shot or something needs to be adjusted, they said the owner was having the same problem and just said to slam down on it... yeah good solution, some people make me wonder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are also going through an issue with the parking brake, when we first saw the bike they had to slam into the pedal to get it to release and common sense tells you there is something wrong when you have to do that to anything, so we have to figure out if the whole thing is shot or something needs to be adjusted, they said the owner was having the same problem and just said to slam down on it... yeah good solution, some people make me wonder
    Sounds like the parking brake cable might be stretched, or needs adjustment. At least that's been my experience with cars, when the parking brake has to be yanked tight. FWIW I usually put the Spyder in gear when stopped (a habit from motorcycles), and apply the parking brake normally without having to stand on it.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the parking brake cable might be stretched, or needs adjustment. At least that's been my experience with cars, when the parking brake has to be yanked tight. FWIW I usually put the Spyder in gear when stopped (a habit from motorcycles), and apply the parking brake normally without having to stand on it.
    Yeah thats what we figured we would start doing is leaving it in gear. It was just sad to see people having to literally jump on it to get it to release so we could test drive it SMH
    Arcturus - 2008 Millennium Yellow Can Am Spyder GS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After you tried all the make sense suggestions of our members and still no fix then I suggest to check with your dealer (BRP) Good luck. Persistance makes a person more confident.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

RE: parking brake. The cable has to be adjusted because someone stretched it by slamming it down to far. When adjusted properly, two or three clicks should hold the parking brake in the lock position. A slight pressure on the pedal will then release it.

I had a 2008 GS SM5 and a 2009 RS SE5. I never used the brake set up on the 2008 because I would leave the bike in gear. Another story on the 2009 SE5. The driver was always over stepping the brake and it got to the point where it had to be adjusted every other week or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Brake squeal is the usual cause, although on an RT belt squeal can be fierce. Brake squeal can be reduced by keeping the parking brake adjusted, the brakes free of dust, and the rotors clean (with brake parts cleaner). Good hard application of the brakes repeatedly from 45-50 mph periodically, can break any glaze buildup on the pads and help quiet things down. Dismantling of the brakes and applying CRC Disc Brake Quiet to the back of the pads, then lubricating the o-rings where the sleeves slide with brake caliper lube can also help. The best cure is to replace the pads with the BRP Gen 3 pads or the EBC pads (and optionally the rotors) from BajaRon, a site sponsor here. Nothing is likely to completely eliminate noise in reverse, especially in a humid climate or with wet brakes, especially in the morning before the brakes have been heated by use, but any or all of the steps should help, and they will certainly help with noise when the brakes are applied moving forward.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

BF just got off the phone with a local Can Am Dealer in my area and the mechanic told him to bring it buy and he will look at it at no charge. He said sounds like the dealer and the previous owner did a number on the parking brake and its shot so it will need to be replaced but said the part is relatively cheap and easy for even us to do. The squealing he said might be a recall on the power steering he saw when he looked up my vin, but either way he wanted to just look at it to make sure. I hope its as simple as upgrade in the brakes hah

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Brake squeal is the usual cause, although on an RT belt squeal can be fierce. Brake squeal can be reduced by keeping the parking brake adjusted, the brakes free of dust, and the rotors clean (with brake parts cleaner). Good hard application of the brakes repeatedly from 45-50 mph periodically, can break any glaze buildup on the pads and help quiet things down. Dismantling of the brakes and applying CRC Disc Brake Quiet to the back of the pads, then lubricating the o-rings where the sleeves slide with brake caliper lube can also help. The best cure is to replace the pads with the BRP Gen 3 pads or the EBC pads (and optionally the rotors) from BajaRon, a site sponsor here. Nothing is likely to completely eliminate noise in reverse, especially in a humid climate or with wet brakes, especially in the morning before the brakes have been heated by use, but any or all of the steps should help, and they will certainly help with noise when the brakes are applied moving forward.
    thanks for the info, if thats all it is we will just upgrade them... but this whining is pretty obnoxious and doesnt seem to be coming from the break portion of the bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep us posted on the outcome. I've held off doing a DIY fix if a dealer solution with stock parts will cure the squealing.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

BF just got off the phone with a local Can Am Dealer in my area and the mechanic told him to bring it buy and he will look at it at no charge. He said sounds like the dealer and the previous owner did a number on the parking brake and its shot so it will need to be replaced but said the part is relatively cheap and easy for even us to do. The squealing he said might be a recall on the power steering he saw when he looked up my vin, but either way he wanted to just look at it to make sure. I hope its as simple as upgrade in the brakes hah
    The power steering on the Spyder is electric, and won't squeal...but you should get the steering recall done ASAP. Problems with the first generation of steering boxes caused them to have to be replaced. For your safety, you should bring it in.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The power steering on the Spyder is electric, and won't squeal...but you should get the steering recall done ASAP. Problems with the first generation of steering boxes caused them to have to be replaced. For your safety, you should bring it in.
    Yeah agreed, might as well get it done even if there is no problem. Im just surprised the old owner didnt keep up on that stuff because to me thats a major but then again I take very good care of my vehicles so i get the most out of them.
    We are dropping it off today at Noon to have the recall done and the dealer said they would check everything else out and then let us know what to do from there (ie: parts, etc). Ive heard alot of good things about this dealer and they didnt right away jump the gun in wanting to take our money for the repairs, the mechanic is going to offer his advice on parts and then tips on what to do and let us decide if we want to fix them or let them do it, so we will see how difficult or time consuming it is.

Spyder Garage

I neglected to say: and on the new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SGSpyderGirl;545321]We are dropping it off today at Noon to have the recall done and the dealer said they would check everything else out and then let us know what to do from there (ie: parts, etc).

The Best of Luck to you! Please let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I neglected to say: and on the new ryde.
    Thank you

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;545434]
    We are dropping it off today at Noon to have the recall done and the dealer said they would check everything else out and then let us know what to do from there (ie: parts, etc).

The Best of Luck to you! Please let us know what happens next!
    Thanks and will do!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I heard that whinning sound when I backd up my Spyder the other day. It truned out to be my cat that I ran over. Then there was more whinning when my wife got throguh with me.

I just got my spyder on monday night and its an 2008 and we noticed that it is making a whining sound when backing up and even when just rolling back on its own (no brake applied). Does any one have any suggestions on what it could be or what I should do?

I am not sure what condition the previous owner kept it in, it only has 7K miles roughly on it and i bought it from a car dealership who had it as a trade along with a Chevy SSR it came with so i doubt it was worked on or moved once on the show room floor because they didnt know much about it to begin with, I think I knew more hah. Didnt know if its because it had been sitting for a while and not moved or what.

Any insight or suggestions would be great!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

We had a whining when rolling it backwards and replaced the belt...no more noise. So you might need to change the belt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Well I got the spyder back today and it looks like the previous owner did NO maintenance to it and the dealership didnt even look at it mechanically wise or the following would have been caught:

• Did a 2010 recall for the power steering
    • Had really low brake fluid
    • Brakes needed to be greased and suggested to upgrade them soon since they were the original stocks and they looked like they were ridden hard
    • Barley had any oil in it, wasnt even touching the dip stick. Looked like the guy ran it for 7K miles without ever doing an oil change
    • Other fluids were very low, so he topped them all off
    • The parking brake was completely trashed, he couldnt even adjust it to bring it back to full use so we had to order a whole new assembly.
    • Has an exhaust leak and the seals need to be replaced

And all i paid for was the new parking brake which was 11 bucks and whatever the seals will cost me. So the dealer did me a great favor, since the dealership where i got it from didnt look over it at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, sounds like your dealer is a good one.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

did you take it to J & J? CJ & Jim?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    did you take it to J & J? CJ & Jim?
    Yeah I did take it to J&J and CJ was the one who worked on it