Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I also have mixed feelings about the finishing quality of the product. When it happens once, you can blame it on an overworked employee who had one of those days. In this case, however, sloppy finishing reports tend to pop up here and there.

Last fall I wrote a review my experience with the Calsci, in which I tried to stay neutral as much as I could:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Sci-Windshield

In my case, I was not going to send it back and go through the shipping and custom duty hassles to fix what was a rather small finishing "issue". The overall fit is what bugs me the most.

My personal conclusion is if you are all about results, it works exactly as the company owner claims it does and I have only praises for that aspect. If you are very picky about fit and finish, I would recommend you shop somewhere else.

...Ben...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I have called and left a message, e-mailed multiple times with pictures. Do you think after a week CalSci is going to do make good for thier product? I don't. I have the tools and the skills to finish it better they do.

Mike
    To answer your question ..........No, and I agree with you
    That's great that you have the tools and skills to finish your windshield.

Spyder Garage

CalSci was quite clear in their E-mail - the bag and windshield are not compatible. No names, just the customer service "person".
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    I also have mixed feelings about the finishing quality of the product. When it happens once, you can blame it on an overworked employee who had one of those days. In this case, however, sloppy finishing reports tend to pop up here and there.

Last fall I wrote a review my experience with the Calsci, in which I tried to stay neutral as much as I could:

In my case, I was not going to send it back and go through the shipping and custom duty hassles to fix what was a rather small finishing "issue". The overall fit is what bugs me the most.

My personal conclusion is if you are all about results, it works exactly as the company owner claims it does and I have only praises for that aspect. If you are very picky about fit and finish, I would recommend you shop somewhere else.

...Ben...
    Well said. The windshield works, for us that was more important then fit or finish, smoothing the edges took like 5 minutes at best.

"Tigger" 2011 RS-S Alloy Orange/Matte Black (hers)
    "Hammer Head" 2012 RoadGlide Custom (his)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dear Mike in GA,

I did not ship a Spyder RS windshield to Georgia in the month of November. Nor in October. I have received no emails from you, nor phone messages. If I take you at your word, that the windshield arrived on Nov. 26, then I have to presume you bought it from Custom Dynamics - no big surprise there, they would get it to you overnight from North Carolina, as opposed to a week shipping delay from California. Your statements that you bought the windshield from me and that you cannot get a response from me seem to me to be untruthful.

Your picture is of the inside of the vent. We don't finish the inside of the vents. On any of our shields. Ever. The inside of the vent is as it is cut by our laser, with very small digitization marks and flame polished by the laser.Your statement that the edges of the shield are unfinished is misleading at best. We carefully sand and flame polish the outer edges.

And in case it's not clear, I own the company. I started in on January 2nd, 1985. I sold my Camaro to get my startup capital. My company is now me and my sons. I stand behind my products. Even the ones that were bought through distributors.

Spyder Garage

Mark,

Your product for my RT is AWESOME! Welcome to SpyderLovers and I hope you will consider becoming a site sponsor/vendor.

Rando

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the party!
    I've been watching the posts about your windshields and most folks genuinely seem to be VERY happy with them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

...Ben...

Your complaint about our windshields is that the curvature does not match the original shield curvature. It's the curvature of the original shield, however, that caused the poor aerodynamic performance and led you to buy an after market shield. If I matched the curvature exactly, I would match the performance exactly. Our shields are made on molds whose shape is a solution to Laplace's equation, the equation that governs air flow, electric field lines, and the curvature of space-time. These shapes guarantee that our shields do not create turbulence. I'm completely uninterested in the stock shield curvature, as that's what was caused the problems in the first place. If you're looking for a truly aerodynamic shield that matches the stock curvature and fits perfectly to the stock brackets, you're out of luck: no such shield is possible.

Saying you like the performance of my shield but don't like the fit is a contradiction: you're going to have to pick one. Enjoy the performance and live with the fit, or send it back and use your perfectly fitting but poorly performing stock shield.

There was a guy at Lockheed, Kelly Johnson. He was the only guy in the aerospace field who was willing to stand up to air force generals and tell them, "This is what I'm making, buy it or don't." His team, the Skunk Works, produced the F86, the world's first supersonic fighter; the F104, the world's fastest interceptor; the U-2, the world's highest flying military glider, still in use after 54 years as a spy plane; the SR-71, still the world's fastest and highest flying air breathing aircraft 50 years after its introduction; and the F117, the world's first stealth fighter. I worked at Lockheed right out of school and did some of my work on the SR-71. I learned from these guys: do something excellent and don't back down.

If you want the best aerodynamics possible and the most comfortable ride possible, I'm your guy. If you want something else, buy something else. I'm not interested in being everything to everyone. I'm interested in being the best at motorcycle windshield aerodynamics.
    Last edited by marklawrence17; 12-05-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marklawrence17 View Post
    I'm interested in being the best at motorcycle windshield aerodynamics.
    You have exceeded my expectations!

For those of you sitting on the fence, you really need try it and experience the difference versus stock. It's amazing and this is coming from someone who rides when the temperature is in the 20's! I wasn't able to do this with the stock one and be comfortable on my ride to work.

The last windshield that I got this excited about was when I owned a GS/RS and I installed the old F1 Slider (Marcel's old company). This one blows that one off the planet!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Another Cal Sci Windshield review

I learned from these guys: do something excellent and don't back down.
    Do you know Ben Rich?

Sent from somewhere on the road.
    Last edited by pickelhead; 12-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Am I correct in assuming the Cal-Sci shield is for average to shorter than average people? Anyone 6'5" or taller using these?
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I am 6'3" on an RT with the XL CalSci, riding on BRP's comfort seat. The setup works well for me.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

If you want the best aerodynamics possible and the most comfortable ride possible, I'm your guy. If you want something else, buy something else. I'm not interested in being everything to everyone. I'm interested in being the best at motorcycle windshield aerodynamics.
    I am glad that you responded and clarified the fit VS curbature topic. In a previous post, I actually responded to a question from a fellow member:
    It is also possible that they were not able to both get the desired shape and have the proper angle at the mounting point. I guess we won't find out until someone steps forward or the manufacturer chimes in as he did on other posts.
    It appears that you went through quite a lot of trouble to design the shield, and I have testified a few times that it actually works. Hats off for that !

I find it sad, however, that a very good technical acomplishment gets tarnished by what I consider small issues. Please consider the 2 recommendations below as constructive suggestions:
    • Offer a complete finishing job everywhere on the shield (bottom side and vent hole) as an option. It will keep your price point as is for the base product and will also please the most picky customer, who I suspect will be more than willing to pay for the extra finish.
    • Develop and offer an optional spacer that will mate your windshield curbature to BRP's mounting brackets.

If members in these forums discuss the finishing, it is because somewhere, somehow it is an issue for them. You are completely free to stick to your "buy it or leave it" attitude towards your future customers, but from a business perspective, that doesn't quite sound right.

Once again, I hope to see your business flourish, because the shield you sell really works.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

I hope to see your business flourish, because the shield you sell really works...Ben...
    DITTO! Another option I would like to see is a deflector that would snap into the vent hole so I could adjust the air to be directed towards me in the summer.

Spyder Garage

Dear Mike in GA,

I did not ship a Spyder RS windshield to Georgia in the month of November. Nor in October. I have received no emails from you, nor phone messages. If I take you at your word, that the windshield arrived on Nov. 26, then I have to presume you bought it from Custom Dynamics - no big surprise there, they would get it to you overnight from North Carolina, as opposed to a week shipping delay from California. Your statements that you bought the windshield from me and that you cannot get a response from me seem to me to be untruthful.

Your picture is of the inside of the vent. We don't finish the inside of the vents. On any of our shields. Ever. The inside of the vent is as it is cut by our laser, with very small digitization marks and flame polished by the laser.Your statement that the edges of the shield are unfinished is misleading at best. We carefully sand and flame polish the outer edges.

And in case it's not clear, I own the company. I started in on January 2nd, 1985. I sold my Camaro to get my startup capital. My company is now me and my sons. I stand behind my products. Even the ones that were bought through distributors.
    Below is my SENT E-mail LOG

Folders

[manage]

[TD="width: 1"]
    Mailbox Usage
    You are using 2% of your mailbox (21 MB out of 1,000 MB)

Webmail Message Policy

Sponsored Links
    1 - 9 of 9
    Move to: Inbox Drafts graymail Trash [New Folder]
    To Subject Size Date
    info@catspecialties.com [no subject] 599 Bytes 12/6/12 1:04 PM
    cdsales@customdynamics.com Calsci windshields 994 Bytes 12/1/12 10:15 PM
    sales@calsci.com Quality with pics 5 MB 11/28/12 10:44 PM
    sales@calsci.com Quality 918 Bytes 11/26/12 8:59 PM
    Major911 Re: Filter RS Spyder 2 KB 10/1/12 7:50 PM
    major911@hotmail.com Filter RS Spyder 8 MB 10/1/12 12:31 PM
    Reggy Tan Re: Online order 1 KB 9/12/12 9:40 PM
    sales@tricled.com Online order 623 Bytes 9/12/12 2:49 PM
    slf166@windstream.net Fwd: Your special DISH offer is a... 600 Bytes 8/20/12 11:57 AM
    1 - 9 of 9
    ©2012 Windstream Communications

I see two e-mails to you with one with pictures. I have to wait to get
    my phone out going log from the phone company. I have brother in
    Ca. if you give him a letter giving him the right to get your phone log,
    he will call you. Not only the center hole was not tuched but the lower
    part of the windshield was not finisher and did not fit into mounting
    area of the front of the dashboard. What your a mounting instructions
    should show how to fix and finish the Spyder GS/RS windshield and
    one the sales page is that that your windshield needs some fitting.
    This is not what the industry would call a finished product. I never said
    that I purchased from you. This is your statement aganist me and quote:
    "Your statements that you bought the
    windshield from me and that you cannot get a response from
    me seem to me to be untruthful."
    When you get the facts right I'll except your apology.

Mike aka MikeinGa

CC: Lesly Fleischer Esqr
    CC: File
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 12-09-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Below is my SENT E-mail LOG

Folders

[manage]

[TD="width: 1"]
    Mailbox Usage
    You are using 2% of your mailbox (21 MB out of 1,000 MB)

Webmail Message Policy

Sponsored Links
    1 - 9 of 9
    Move to: Inbox Drafts graymail Trash [New Folder]
    To Subject Size Date
    info@catspecialties.com [no subject] 599 Bytes 12/6/12 1:04 PM
    cdsales@customdynamics.com Calsci windshields 994 Bytes 12/1/12 10:15 PM
    sales@calsci.com Quality with pics 5 MB 11/28/12 10:44 PM
    sales@calsci.com Quality 918 Bytes 11/26/12 8:59 PM
    Major911 Re: Filter RS Spyder 2 KB 10/1/12 7:50 PM
    major911@hotmail.com Filter RS Spyder 8 MB 10/1/12 12:31 PM
    Reggy Tan Re: Online order 1 KB 9/12/12 9:40 PM
    sales@tricled.com Online order 623 Bytes 9/12/12 2:49 PM
    slf166@windstream.net Fwd: Your special DISH offer is a... 600 Bytes 8/20/12 11:57 AM
    1 - 9 of 9
    ©2012 Windstream Communications

I see two e-mails to you with one with pictures. I have to wait to get
    my phone out going log from the phone company. I have brother in
    Ca. if you give him a letter giving him the right to get your phone log,
    he will call you. Not only the center hole was not tuched but the lower
    part of the windshield was not finisher and did not fit into mounting
    area of the front of the dashboard. What your a mounting instructions
    should show how to fix and finish the Spyder GS/RS windshield and
    one the sales page is that that your windshield needs some fitting.
    This is not what the industry would call a finished product. I never said
    that I purchased from you. This is your statement aganist me and quote:
    "Your statements that you bought the
    windshield from me and that you cannot get a response from
    me seem to me to be untruthful."
    When you get the facts right I'll except your apology.

Mike aka MikeinGa

CC: Lesly Fleischer Esqr
    CC: File
    Well I'm wrapping it up. I showed my sent e-mail log to prove the I tried to get in touch with Calsci on the day I received the windshield 11/26/12 and I reread all my posts and I never said that I bought the windshield form CALSCI. My phone log I found out that there is a charge to get a printout, don't to throw good money after bad. Tried to just resolve a problem and it's funny because there was no problem he said that "We don't finish the inside of the vents." This is the way they send out the product for the Spyder GS/RS unfinished. If he would have told me this when I sent the first e-mail(11/26/12) or second e-mail(11/28/12) or when I posted the first post I would have sent it back and got a windshield from BRP (ultra touring windshield).

Mike