Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cal Sci Windshield review. Update! Now with pic.

The UPS guy delivered my Cal Sci windshield today. I took my sport/touring windshield off my 2011 RS-S and pack it away for the winter. I unpacked the windshield and it did not fit due to it was not finished. The sides was loaded with some heavy tool marks and not squared off. Tomorrow I'll waste a day finishing and fitting. But I am going to leave the tool marks and rough edges to show everyone what poor quality work Cal Sci did for me.

Mike

This is how the all the edges looked.
    PB280025.jpg
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 11-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

That's not typical of their work. Give them a call and they will make it right! I love my CalSci and will never take it off. The wind and rain protection is second to none.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Another Cal Sci Windshield review

I'm very happy with my Cal Sci Windshield. It kept the cold wind (27 degrees) off me when I left NC and the rain on my way to ft meyers, fl. When the temperature was up to the high 80's in ft meyers lowering it proved a cooling breeze. The fit and finish were perfect. This is one of the best mods I did on my 2012 RTS.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    That's not typical of their work. Give them a call and they will make it right! I love my CalSci and will never take it off. The wind and rain protection is second to none.
    Give them a chance to do right by you. They actually make a quality product but accidents occasionally happen in manufacturing. It's how the vendor handles these situations that makes the difference. I have the XL cal sci on my RSS and I couldn't be happier. keep us posted on how things get resolved.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    Give them a chance to do right by you. They actually make a quality product but accidents occasionally happen in manufacturing. It's how the vendor handles these situations that makes the difference. I have the XL cal sci on my RSS and I couldn't be happier. keep us posted on how things get resolved.
    The way I see it this is the only quality control they have, the customer. I have 5 rides to go on in the next two weeks, till I would send it back and they would send me another one I would miss all of them and I that what we have planned for the rest of the year. Plus I would have shipping costs plus packaging. I am not the only one that had this type of problem. I got my shop warmed up and my tools ready now to fit it on my RS-S for the ride tomorrow.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Another Cal Sci Windshield review

I believe that another member had a problem and they resolved it to their satisfaction. If you notify Cal sci they should give you details in how to send it back, put your old windshield back on in the meantime so you don't miss any rides. There are many many satisfied customers on this site, they wouldn't stay in business if they didn't provide a quality product.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Couldn't hurt to try; could it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Couldn't hurt to try; could it?
    If their NOT aware of the "mstake!" They can,t Fix It ? You did fine before the windshield arrived? Why Not "Continue to March!" and in the mean time let them correct the mistake!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default They made me happy

I suggest you give them a shot. I had a similar issue years ago and they made good.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WINDSHIELD ISSUE

Just from looking at the picture posted I would have to say that whoever packaged that windshield for shipment is damn near BLIND. There is no excuse for shipping a product that is obviously not finished.....and certainly no excuse for the employee whose job it was ( hopefully WAS ) to finish the windshield......JMHO....Mike......I have seen other Cal-si's but never anything like that.....still no excuse

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This one certainly is beyond what should be expected...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just from looking at the picture posted I would have to say that whoever packaged that windshield for shipment is damn near BLIND. There is no excuse for shipping a product that is obviously not finished.....and certainly no excuse for the employee whose job it was ( hopefully WAS ) to finish the windshield......JMHO....Mike......I have seen other Cal-si's but never anything like that.....still no excuse
    Mike,
    I have a diamond grinding tool that I used to finish carbon fiber body panels edges. It's fast and cuts cool. I never win at much like money, but if there's a bad part in the pile I'll get it. The thing that get's me Cal Sci never contacted me and I sent a number of e-mails. If it would not be for bad luck, I have not luck at all.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They should have replied to you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Mike,
    I have a diamond grinding tool that I used to finish carbon fiber body panels edges. It's fast and cuts cool. I never win at much like money, but if there's a bad part in the pile I'll get it. The thing that get's me Cal Sci never contacted me and I sent a number of e-mails. If it would not be for bad luck, I have not luck at all.

Mike
    Well there ya have it then. Thats a customer service issue. I have no respect for and will not defend a business that won't take the time to correspond with a customer. Thats just rude . Communication is paramount!
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does seem curious...
    I recall somebody having and issue, and "Cal Sci" coming on board in here and trying to at least reassure folks that steps were being taken...
    I wonder why they are so silent now?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It does seem curious...
    I recall somebody having and issue, and "Cal Sci" coming on board in here and trying to at least reassure folks that steps were being taken...
    I wonder why they are so silent now?
    Bob,

This is what I found on another post:

"I'm saying a guy that likes to negotiate in public and takes his bike routinely to be professionally detailed and is looking for absolute show perfection will be happier with some other windshield.

There are very few plastics available that are DOT certified, and all have compromises. I've chosen a particular formulation that is known to turn a very light blue at temperatures below about 40 degrees, then clear up when it warms up. It's known to have a very slight optical haze in direct sunlight. It's also the strongest, stiffest, lightest and safest DOT plastic I can buy. I then make it with superlative aerodynamics, and I'm very confident no windshield produces a quieter or more turbulence free ride than mine. And you'll notice that several of my customers have spoken up here saying that when the shield is clean it's perfectly acceptably clear to the rider.

But if you don't care about aerodynamics, noise and turbulence; if you don't care about stiffness in truck wakes or side winds; if you don't care about weight; all you care about is "perfect" optical clarity; then you will be happier with an F4 customs or a stock shield. And if that's what you want, then I encourage you to send back your Calsci windshield for a full refund and get what will make you happy. I don't need or want unhappy customers.

I don't make windshields for show bikes. I make windshields for long distance touring comfort. If I were making show windshields I would definitely choose a different plastic from a different supplier which has about 1% better optical clarity, has no optical temperature effects in the 20 degree to 120 degree range, is about 50% heavier, has about half the stiffness and a third the impact resistance, and can be easily polished to a show level of perfection. I even have some of that plastic in stock. But it's not my engineering choice for long distance touring due to considerations of stiffness, weight, and safety.

But you don't have to agree with me. You get to decide for yourself what's important to you. Then buy what makes you happy. And if my shield doesn't make you happy, please, seriously, please send it back.

Mark Lawrence"

Above is a quote that I copied from another unhappy customer. I think Mark Lawrence works for CalCci. I looks like I'm stuck with It unless I want to pay for Shipping and Insurance. The only other thing I can do go to The Better Business Bureau of California.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Thanks for finding that!
    Do you have the info on the original member who posted that?

Spyder Garage

Bob,

This is what I found on another post:

"I'm saying a guy that likes to negotiate in public and takes his bike routinely to be professionally detailed and is looking for absolute show perfection will be happier with some other windshield.

There are very few plastics available that are DOT certified, and all have compromises. I've chosen a particular formulation that is known to turn a very light blue at temperatures below about 40 degrees, then clear up when it warms up. It's known to have a very slight optical haze in direct sunlight. It's also the strongest, stiffest, lightest and safest DOT plastic I can buy. I then make it with superlative aerodynamics, and I'm very confident no windshield produces a quieter or more turbulence free ride than mine. And you'll notice that several of my customers have spoken up here saying that when the shield is clean it's perfectly acceptably clear to the rider.

But if you don't care about aerodynamics, noise and turbulence; if you don't care about stiffness in truck wakes or side winds; if you don't care about weight; all you care about is "perfect" optical clarity; then you will be happier with an F4 customs or a stock shield. And if that's what you want, then I encourage you to send back your Calsci windshield for a full refund and get what will make you happy. I don't need or want unhappy customers.

I don't make windshields for show bikes. I make windshields for long distance touring comfort. If I were making show windshields I would definitely choose a different plastic from a different supplier which has about 1% better optical clarity, has no optical temperature effects in the 20 degree to 120 degree range, is about 50% heavier, has about half the stiffness and a third the impact resistance, and can be easily polished to a show level of perfection. I even have some of that plastic in stock. But it's not my engineering choice for long distance touring due to considerations of stiffness, weight, and safety.

But you don't have to agree with me. You get to decide for yourself what's important to you. Then buy what makes you happy. And if my shield doesn't make you happy, please, seriously, please send it back.

Mark Lawrence"

Above is a quote that I copied from another unhappy customer. I think Mark Lawrence works for CalCci. I looks like I'm stuck with It unless I want to pay for Shipping and Insurance. The only other thing I can do go to The Better Business Bureau of California.
    I Talked to Mark last week before I bought his RT windshield from Custom Dynamics BECAUSE they had a discount and Free shipping.
    During the conversation he indicated he cannot post here because of the Vendor rules which is indeed appropriate!

I still don,t know why you didn,t CALL him personally and get it straightened out before Bad Mouthing a Quality product ALL over the internet!!!! A Personal phone call is better than 200 E-Mails that may or may not have even found his box? I may be old fashion but if I got a Problem I,m on the phone But then again I don,t Text message?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I still don,t know why you didn,t CALL him personally and get it straightened out before Bad Mouthing a Quality product ALL over the internet!!!! A Personal phone call is better than 200 E-Mails that may or may not have even found his box? I may be old fashion but if I got a Problem I,m on the phone But then again I don,t Text message?
    I agree. I spoke with Mark before I ever ordered mine and it was his patience and professionalism that convinced me to order it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The UPS guy delivered my Cal Sci windshield today. I took my sport/touring windshield off my 2011 RS-S and pack it away for the winter. I unpacked the windshield and it did not fit due to it was not finished. The sides was loaded with some heavy tool marks and not squared off. Tomorrow I'll waste a day finishing and fitting. But I am going to leave the tool marks and rough edges to show everyone what poor quality work Cal Sci did for me.

Mike

This is how the all the edges looked.
    PB280025.jpg
    Don't waste your time and energy just call them and tell them your problem and I am sure that they will be happy to help you out.
    Installing a scrapped up windshield will not add to the look of your spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I Talked to Mark last week before I bought his RT windshield from Custom Dynamics BECAUSE they had a discount and Free shipping.
    During the conversation he indicated he cannot post here because of the Vendor rules which is indeed appropriate!

I did call a week ago and let a message, no reply. I guess you think this funny. I am not BAD MOUTHING, I'm telling what happened to me. His company is the one that made the bad product and it was paid in full.

"During the conversation he indicated he cannot post here because of the Vendor rules which is indeed appropriate!" He already has and mocked the customer!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Don't waste your time and energy just call them and tell them your problem and I am sure that they will be happy to help you out.
    Installing a scrapped up windshield will not add to the look of your spyder
    I have called and left a message, e-mailed multiple times with pictures. Do you think after a week CalSci is going to do make good for thier product? I don't. I have the tools and the skills to finish it better they do.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I E-mailed CalSci regarding my dash bag and their windshield - they told me that nothing can be on the dash. So, looks like I keep the stocker… the bag is too good for the roadie stuff on a long ride….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I E-mailed CalSci regarding my dash bag and their windshield - they told me that nothing can be on the dash. So, looks like I keep the stocker… the bag is too good for the roadie stuff on a long ride….
    I don't have the CalSci or the dash bag, but thought about both. Has anyone else installed the CalSci with dash bag (or vice versa), and did it affect the windshield performance?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"During the conversation he indicated he cannot post here because of the Vendor rules which is indeed appropriate!" He already has and mocked the customer!
    Mike,
    My Missus serves on the local School Board; which actually might have a little bit in common with this situation...
    The Board cannot comment pubicly about anything that goes on in executive session... Yet the public is free to run around and spread all sorts of stories about whatever situation seems to have garnered their attention.
    Why not give the guy a break and not post stuff like the highlighted passage? If he is unable to defend his position in here; regardless of how indefensible it actually is, rhen continue to take it to them with calls and emails...
    I really DO hope that this all works out for you; the edge of that screen is horrendous!
    And I'm also aware that your patience has pretty much reached it's limit...
    But please take it to them directly, and not try them in a public forum where they can't respond...
    Sorry... just my opinion about fair play...