Thread: Oil Consumption

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Consumption

I am pretty new to to the Spyder and this forum and my topic may have been discussed previously. If so, I apologize.
    I have 3100 miles on a 2012 RT SE5 and have used a quart of oil so far. I follow all manual directions regarding checking the oil and last time I checked there was no oil showing on the dip stick and finished the quart I was given with my first 600 mile change. I have had to add oil at least 4 times.

Is this typical? I am not used to a vehicle using this much oil. I never have to add a drop to my Star Stratoliner between changes and have over 45,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Consumption

It is not unusual. I have been told all spyders use oil. Some would dispute that. It teally depends on how you rude, low and slow maybe not, fast and furious probably.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Consumption

Just make sure you are also checking the level correctly. The procedure is typical BRP odd....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

That seems like a lot of oil usage. I would give the engine a few more miles to wear in before getting worried about it. I had a newly rebuilt Rotax engine that burned a quart an hour. Now that is a lot of oil usage.

Also, learn how to correctly check the oil. It can be very misleading unless done precisely as indicated in the owners manual. After 55,000 miles on these things I still fool myself into thinking I need to add oil when I don't really need to. So I just quit checking it. Well I do check it on occassion but unless it reads low on two checks in a row I don't add any. I like to run my oil on the low side anyway to stop some of oil blowing into the air box.

I also try not to look at the temperature bars because they worry me needlessly.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

A quart in 2500 miles seems high, But not excessive (3100 - 600 = 2500)
    Are you sure your checking it right.?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    A quart in 2500 miles seems high, But not excessive (3100 - 600 = 2500)
    Are you sure your checking it right.?
    I make sure the bike is level and engine is warm. I give it time for the oil to settle into the pan. I pull out the dip stick and clean it off. I screw it all the way down and then remove it to check.

What else can I do?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by alajeu View Post
    I make sure the bike is level and engine is warm. I give it time for the oil to settle into the pan. I pull out the dip stick and clean it off. I screw it all the way down and then remove it to check.

What else can I do?
    You don't want the oil to settle in the pan, You should check it less then a minute [30 seconds?] after you shut the engine off so the oil is still in the oil tank. Also before you shut the engine off let it ilde down for at least 30 seconds.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Oil Consumption....... and a different measurement idea

What else can I do?
    I can't offer any input on the amount of oil being consumed ( although it sounds like a lot) I too have a 2012 RT E5. I don't ride much, 2300 mi, and the machine will be a year old in January. While I haven't quite mastered the correct checking procedure, (I take a couple of readings after a ride, and always get different descending readings that eventually drop off the stick. So I decided to use a different approach. I measured the depth of the pan to the top of the threads which is 10 1/2 inches. On a cold motor (overnight) I measured 5 1/2 inches of oil on a stick that goes to the bottom of the pan - which is just below the 4 1/2 inch length of the actual measuring stick. I figure (hope) that that measurement is enough oil. What I would really need is for someone who has just finished an oil change to take the same 'long' reading to see what they get, and see if 5 1/2 inches is a good number

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Oil Consumption....... and a different measurement idea

What else can I do?
    What else can I do?
    I can't offer any input on the amount of oil being consumed ( although it sounds like a lot) I too have a 2012 RT E5. I don't ride much, 2300 mi, and the machine will be a year old in January. While I haven't quite mastered the correct checking procedure, (I take a couple of readings after a ride, and always get different descending readings that eventually drop off the stick. So I decided to use a different approach. I measured the depth of the pan to the top of the threads which is 10 1/2 inches. On a cold motor (overnight) I measured 5 1/2 inches of oil on a stick that goes to the bottom of the pan - which is just below the 4 1/2 inch length of the actual measuring stick. I figure (hope) that that measurement is enough oil. What I would really need is for someone who has just finished an oil change to take the same 'long' reading to see what they get, and see if 5 1/2 inches is a good number

Spyder Garage

You don't want the oil to settle in the pan, You should check it less then a minute [30 seconds?] after you shut the engine off so the oil is still in the oil tank. Also before you shut the engine off let it ilde down for at least 30 seconds.
    And the engine should be hot Like after being ridden for a while. Just letting it idle somehow does not seem to be enough. There must be better ways of checking oil level in a sump system like this but this is what we have for now.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree. Follow the manual precisely. Which is to say, ride the bike to get it thoroughly hot, remove the side panel so you're ready to check the oil, then start the hot bike and let it idle for at least 30 seconds, shut it off and immediately check the oil. If you've been letting it drain, you are likely overfilling it. According to the wisdom on this forum, that may result in blowing too much oil into the airbox and could be the cause of your consumption. Also be sure you're using the proper "full" mark on the dipstick. Not the cross hatches. The "full" mark corresponds to the middle of the cross hatches. Most other dipsticks use the cross hatches to indicate the acceptable range. Here, it's the middle of the cross hatches that is "full".

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces