Thread: Handbrake issue

Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake issue

I had a couple of friends (custom bike builders both) install ISCI handbrake on my 2012 RT. I had them do it since I just had more surgery on my amputated right leg. Works great for braking but doesn't sit on handlebar well. Also holds throttle from returning to idleposition completely. Master cylinder hits fairing when trying to lock bars to the left. I took lower cover off myself and don't see any variance from pics on install instructions.

What am I doing wrong! Any help greatly appreciated.
    2012 RT SM5 A&C , Custom fade charcoal to silver

Spyder Garage

I had one on a RS and the lever hit's before full lock but there's nothing you can do about that really. As far as the throttle goes it should not effect that at all unless you don't have the control keyed right. Something is wrong with the install for sure, just need to take it loose and find out why it's binding.

Spyder Garage

Default Does this mean-----

I am getting close to getting a 2012 RT-S SE5- Viper Red----One of the MODS my dealer is adding is a hand-brake.

Does this mean that I will not be able to lock my handle bars fully to the LEFT? If this is the case is this a problem? Can you just turn to fully to the RIGHT and still lock that way?

I think the Hand-brake is just an added measure of safety-especially knowing I grab for a handbrake quicker than the foot brake- especially in my MSF class. (Oops)

Thanks!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

The bars will Lock with them being full right or left.

Spyder Garage

Default As Lamont says......

No way should you be having the problems, Hoppy. Mine were installed by ISCI in Montgomery and the ONLY thing I didn't like was that the clutch lever reach is too far from the normal grip for me - arthritis and not enough time at the Gym?? Anyway, they now have a new brake lever and it solved about 70% of the "reach for the lever trick." I have gotten use to it after 25,000 miles and pulled that lever as part of my daily PT routene. There is nothing rubbing, sticking, hesitating or any other abnormality with the properly installed system from ISCI. Call em up, Darrell is the President and he will see that you get to talk with the dudes that designed and install these things all the time. They couldn't be more responsive to any questions.

Good luck with the issues you are having.

Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not just call ISCI and see what they can tell you about double-checking to insure that the installation is correct?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why not just call ISCI and see what they can tell you about double-checking to insure that the installation is correct?
    That would make too much sense.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's their website address with contact information...
    I hope that it helps!

http://isciride.com/iscirtpartsinstalled.htm

Spyder Garage

I've installed the ISCI kit on a RS and RT, neither gave any riding grief. If you have the SM transmission, they are the #1 farkle.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Do you have any picks of the new designed handle?

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    No way should you be having the problems, Hoppy. Mine were installed by ISCI in Montgomery and the ONLY thing I didn't like was that the clutch lever reach is too far from the normal grip for me - arthritis and not enough time at the Gym?? Anyway, they now have a new brake lever and it solved about 70% of the "reach for the lever trick." I have gotten use to it after 25,000 miles and pulled that lever as part of my daily PT routene. There is nothing rubbing, sticking, hesitating or any other abnormality with the properly installed system from ISCI. Call em up, Darrell is the President and he will see that you get to talk with the dudes that designed and install these things all the time. They couldn't be more responsive to any questions.

Good luck with the issues you are having.

Tuck

Do you have any pictures of the newly designed handle? My dealer said his handbrake had been one for showing or something or another but was going to let me have it for like $1100.00 and said if it saves you from an accident or anything it is well worth it. His only comment to me was that it will be a long reach for my small hands- and that is why I was also curious about the comment made about it not allowing you to lock the wheels when turned fully to the left.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the newly designed handle? My dealer said his handbrake had been one for showing or something or another but was going to let me have it for like $1100.00 and said if it saves you from an accident or anything it is well worth it. His only comment to me was that it will be a long reach for my small hands- and that is why I was also curious about the comment made about it not allowing you to lock the wheels when turned fully to the left.

Thanks
    HAND BRAKE LEVER
    PART# SPY-MCL-RT
    PRICE
    -Hand Brake Lever designed to fit smaller hands
    $199.00

Spyder Garage

Default new handbrake lever

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    HAND BRAKE LEVER
    PART# SPY-MCL-RT
    PRICE
    -Hand Brake Lever designed to fit smaller hands
    $199.00
    Thanks for doing that Lamont. This is still not 100% of the answer, but at 70% or so, it's much better. After my shoulder oper next week, it may be even like 88% of the answer.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Default weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I posted on a weekend and they were closed. I was hoping for some help from you guys so I could fix it and ride that sunday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never even thought about what day of the week you asked your question; Sorry!

Spyder Garage

Default Fixed it

I fixed throttle issue. Got in my wheelchair and took a look myself. The cable that runs through the handbrake mounting bracket did not have enough slack and was rubbing the throttle preventing the spring from returning throttle to idle position. Easy fix, just took mounting bracket off and got more slack on cable. Throttle now snaps quickly back to idle.
    Thanks to the staff at ISCI. They were accessible, friendly, and eager to help. One of the techs even gave me his personal cell number and text me after hours. I feel stupid for involving ISCI and you guys for something so simple.
    Just goes to show you, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
    Thanks again to all!
    Happy Motoring!

Hoppy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're back up and on three!