Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Good Report Lamont. Sounds like the ST is going to fill a good gap in the Spyder offerings. Many of us are very well suited for the RT and will stay with it as it is perfect for our riding style. Others felt more comfortable on the RT as opposed to the RS but it was a big change for them. The ST is a perfect compromise in function and comfort for many potential buyers. It will certanly add to the spyders market share and exposure. All that is left now is a cruiser style to cover the entire range. 2015 maybe? 2013 looks to be an exciting years for Spyderlovers.
    A Cruiser style Spyder will be the Spyder for me. I've always been a cruiser guy and that is a huge part of the market that's missing. This will put the "Too Cool" factor into Spyder, not that they're not cool now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    A Cruiser style Spyder will be the Spyder for me. I've always been a cruiser guy and that is a huge part of the market that's missing. This will put the "Too Cool" factor into Spyder, not that they're not cool now.

After reading your review, I am back leaning towards the ST instead of the RT. It seems there aren't any risers either for the ST??? I have shorter arms. Were you able to have multiple sitting positions on your test trip?

It also seems with 2013 BRP is trying to give the RT even more options with the vented windshield and adjustable side deflectors. Do you think this will reduce the bubble effect?

I feel as though I don't want to make a mistake choosing one over the other. The fact of the matter is it seems to come down to these key things:

ST with Corbin fleetliners and trunk will have more storage space, a sportier feel/ride, and more visually appealing.

RT has its standard storage (the frustrating side loading bags), little room trunk, etc. However it has the air suspension(in your opinion is it a big deal?) option for the vented windshield, wind side deflectors. Will it be able to easily go to bubble (for cold/wet weather) to nice summer day in a few seconds? Or is it a bubble regardless?

With the Corbin storage the price will unfortunately be closer than it should be (ST vs RT).

I wish I could afford the time and money (and had the patience for them to be available) to be able to rent them each for a week. I'm just not sure what the best choice is here. (A demo ride just isn't long enough)

Is the RT needed for 2 up comfort? It also has the passenger sensor to adjust the ride???

I ride to work for most of the year, and do solo/2 up weekend day trips with 1-2 longer trips a year.

ST sounds like the more fun ride, but I don't want a passenger on a trip complaining about comfort, you know?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bryk View Post
    Is the RT needed for 2 up comfort? It also has the passenger sensor to adjust the ride???
    The passenger sensor on the RT only adjusts the traction control and braking bias. Air is added to or subtracted from the rear air bag, either manually or via a dash switch on models equipped with the ACS, which also has a ride height sensor to keep the Spyder at the selected setting when a passenger is added or gets dismounts.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

RT hands down is best for long haul comfort and for riding two up.

ST will handle the long haul just fine with more of a motorcycle feel to it. It's hard to explain that unless you ride one. I doubt you'll have a need for risers on the ST but if you did I'm sure an option is heading down the road. I'm like you, I like the styling of the Corbin bags and they are much more useable than side loading bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryk View Post
    After reading your review, I am back leaning towards the ST instead of the RT. It seems there aren't any risers either for the ST??? I have shorter arms. Were you able to have multiple sitting positions on your test trip?

It also seems with 2013 BRP is trying to give the RT even more options with the vented windshield and adjustable side deflectors. Do you think this will reduce the bubble effect?

I feel as though I don't want to make a mistake choosing one over the other. The fact of the matter is it seems to come down to these key things:

ST with Corbin fleetliners and trunk will have more storage space, a sportier feel/ride, and more visually appealing.

RT has its standard storage (the frustrating side loading bags), little room trunk, etc. However it has the air suspension(in your opinion is it a big deal?) option for the vented windshield, wind side deflectors. Will it be able to easily go to bubble (for cold/wet weather) to nice summer day in a few seconds? Or is it a bubble regardless?

With the Corbin storage the price will unfortunately be closer than it should be (ST vs RT).

I wish I could afford the time and money (and had the patience for them to be available) to be able to rent them each for a week. I'm just not sure what the best choice is here. (A demo ride just isn't long enough)

I ride to work for most of the year, and do solo/2 up weekend day trips with 1-2 longer trips a year.

ST sounds like the more fun ride, but I don't want a passenger on a trip complaining about comfort, you know?

Spyder Garage

Great write up! It sure makes me want to hop on an ST and go for a ride. The sales guy that I deal with at my dealer tells me they will be getting and ST in for the showroom sometimes this month. I can't wait to check it out once it arrives. I've already been offered a test ride in the spring. One question, do you know if the mounting points for the smuggler trunk/corbin seat setup has changed over previous GT/RS spyders? If I do get an ST I would like to keep my smuggler trunk and corbin seat to install on the ST. I would have to get the trunk color matched and the seat would have to get re-beaded to match up as well depending on what color combo I would choose. I'm just not sure if it will work on the new ST.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    Great write up! It sure makes me want to hop on an ST and go for a ride. The sales guy that I deal with at my dealer tells me they will be getting and ST in for the showroom sometimes this month. I can't wait to check it out once it arrives. I've already been offered a test ride in the spring. One question, do you know if the mounting points for the smuggler trunk/corbin seat setup has changed over previous GT/RS spyders? If I do get an ST I would like to keep my smuggler trunk and corbin seat to install on the ST. I would have to get the trunk color matched and the seat would have to get re-beaded to match up as well depending on what color combo I would choose. I'm just not sure if it will work on the new ST.
    Pretty sure they will work.