Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Phoenix View Post
    As big as my truck is, people still pull out in front of me, run lights, and do other stupid maneuvers. I couldn't imagine dealing with that on 2 wheels. I think I would also feel more comfortable on a Spyder.
    This does not have any relation to your issue of the two wheeler, but might help. At 50 years old when I bought my first Spyder I had very limited experience with anything other than a car/pickup. When I first started riding my RS I was always jumpy (not quite scared) of everything going on around me. Always on the look out for cars, trucks, and other objects that could cause me harm while out riding. Now two plus years later I find that I still find myself always aware of what is going on around me, and it has kept me safe several times. I then noticed that with all the metal around me I feel a safety that I don't on my Spyder, thus I am more relaxed in watching out for danger. I now drive my car with the same awareness, and this has saved me several times from a dangerous situation. My point is; use this feeling of danger not to keep you away from the Spyder for fear of another accident, but use the fear to keep you aware of your surroundings and safe.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I crashed at the track at about 75mph... broken ankle. 9 screws and 4mos of rehab later I was back on the bike because the passion to ride overcame the fear of falling. Take it a step at a time. Sit on a bike/spyder, try to breathe and relax. The first time I rode, I made it around the block and no more. I was nervous, wondering if I was crazy to be riding again. A couple of days later I made it to the nearby Starbucks, had a coffee and rode home. Gradually the butterflies went away. I eventually returned to the racetrack and tamed my inner demon.

The second time I crashed on a dirt bike and broke a tib/fib. This time I had no reservations about riding again. When I was well enough to walk with a cane, I rented a Spyder RT and two upped with my fiancee. I still have my two wheelers, I now have an RS as backup, too.

Don't shy away from doing what you love. The passion doesn't go away. Here's to baby steps.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    One thing that beat into our heads at ATV Instructor course was, if a unit is not in good operating condistion, DO NOT USE IT. It would be much better have one disapointed at not being to take the course, then have somebody hurt. In this case the poor condistion of the unit was a main cause in the incident. IMHO
    Oldmanzues
    I COMPLETELY agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    This does not have any relation to your issue of the two wheeler, but might help. At 50 years old when I bought my first Spyder I had very limited experience with anything other than a car/pickup. When I first started riding my RS I was always jumpy (not quite scared) of everything going on around me. Always on the look out for cars, trucks, and other objects that could cause me harm while out riding. Now two plus years later I find that I still find myself always aware of what is going on around me, and it has kept me safe several times. I then noticed that with all the metal around me I feel a safety that I don't on my Spyder, thus I am more relaxed in watching out for danger. I now drive my car with the same awareness, and this has saved me several times from a dangerous situation. My point is; use this feeling of danger not to keep you away from the Spyder for fear of another accident, but use the fear to keep you aware of your surroundings and safe.
    I'm always aware (sometimes I think too much). I even explain to my daughter how drivers have to be aware of everything around them. She has even commented on my ability to avoid accidents (she witnessed this). LOL! I don't want to ride another 2-wheeler, but I definitely won't let this experience keep me off a Spyder. Once I get over the revving sound of the throttle (really gets me right now), I think I'll be fine. Here's to awareness!

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I crashed at the track at about 75mph... broken ankle. 9 screws and 4mos of rehab later I was back on the bike because the passion to ride overcame the fear of falling. Take it a step at a time. Sit on a bike/spyder, try to breathe and relax. The first time I rode, I made it around the block and no more. I was nervous, wondering if I was crazy to be riding again. A couple of days later I made it to the nearby Starbucks, had a coffee and rode home. Gradually the butterflies went away. I eventually returned to the racetrack and tamed my inner demon.

The second time I crashed on a dirt bike and broke a tib/fib. This time I had no reservations about riding again. When I was well enough to walk with a cane, I rented a Spyder RT and two upped with my fiancee. I still have my two wheelers, I now have an RS as backup, too.

Don't shy away from doing what you love. The passion doesn't go away. Here's to baby steps.
    Wow! I'm glad you're okay!

I won't be getting on another 2-wheeler--not one that's running anyway. But, I'll still need to take it slow on Spyder... once I get one. Big time baby steps for sure. Getting past the throttle sound is a biggie. I don't have any friends that own Spyders, but luckily, I have biker friends that are willing to slowly help me through this.

---(As I was about to write this reply, I had another freaky flashback. Ugh! I hate those!)
    Mama Phoenix ~ Waiting to ryde the wind!

Spyder Garage

One of the first things you will have to do is learn where the kill switch is, and get used to using it every time you want to turn off the Spyder (or motorcycle). had they taught you this in the class, and let ou practice until it came naturally, the bike wouldn't have been able to get away from you are drag you along. It might still have fallen on you, but instinctively killing the engine while your hands are still on the bars will prevent a runaway.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One of the first things you will have to do is learn where the kill switch is, and get used to using it every time you want to turn off the Spyder (or motorcycle). had they taught you this in the class, and let ou practice until it came naturally, the bike wouldn't have been able to get away from you are drag you along. It might still have fallen on you, but instinctively killing the engine while your hands are still on the bars will prevent a runaway.
    What an odd thing for you to say. Ya know... the truth! Sheesh. I hadn't even thought about that. That button/switch was discussed regarding starting the bike, but that's it. Nothing about after the bike is started or in motion. But honestly, I went from sitting still to full airborne in a second. Everything was out of control that fast, so I don't think I would've been able to even hit the switch. I didn't even have time to simply let go. Luckily, I don't remember actually seeing anything other than a big blur except for when my head hit the ground. So, realistically, I have no idea how long the entire thing lasted. But, seriously... thanks for that reminder!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for bringing this up. As I remember the course, there start up instruction/drills, normal shut instruction/drills and emergency shut down drills with the kill switch. Then a few minutes later during some more training. I would yell "EMGENCY/KILL SWITCH. Usally about 2/3 or so of the class would react quickly.I would do it a couple more times during the class.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up. As I remember the course, there start up instruction/drills, normal shut instruction/drills and emergency shut down drills with the kill switch. Then a few minutes later during some more training. I would yell "EMGENCY/KILL SWITCH. Usally about 2/3 or so of the class would react quickly.I would do it a couple more times during the class.
    The latter never happened in my class, and I actually only remember a couple of normal shut down drills-- if I could even call it that. Now, I'm even more frustrated. Sigh~~
    Last edited by Mama Phoenix; 11-25-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up YOU CANT LIVE IN FEAR

Hi i live my life from a wheelchair after being run over on my triumph by an 18 wheeler that ran a stop sign and i know that the fear of it happening again can be huge but my love of riding is even stronger so in the end i had to suck it up and get back on a bike (with help) and i rode again, as soon as i was rolloing all my fears were blown away with the wind and ive never looked back ,the first step is the hardest GOOD LUCK TO YOU
    cheers mick

Spyder Garage

Mama P, another good reason to get a Spyder is the excellent skills course, in several steps, that they have in their manual. It is also on the DVD that comes with the Spyder (or at least it used to be) and can be seen on YouTube if you want a preview. In the course, they go over basic handling, as well as emergency evasive procedures. They also include drills where you kill the Spyder in motion, to learn how it reacts and get used to doing so if necessary. A few days with a Spyder in an empty parking lot, with some soccer cones or half tennis balls, will make you more comfortable and a lot safer in short order. I highly recommend it for all newbies...and an annual refresher doesn't hurt us old hands, either.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mick ruhdorf View Post
    Hi i live my life from a wheelchair after being run over on my triumph by an 18 wheeler that ran a stop sign and i know that the fear of it happening again can be huge but my love of riding is even stronger so in the end i had to suck it up and get back on a bike (with help) and i rode again, as soon as i was rolloing all my fears were blown away with the wind and ive never looked back ,the first step is the hardest GOOD LUCK TO YOU
    cheers mick
    Thank you, Mick! I'm so glad you made it through that, and are still rolling! I did ride another 2-wheeler for 2 or 3 hours after the accident (with help), but I have no desire to get on another 2-wheeler. Even though I will take it slow, I am anxious and excited about getting a Spyder which I think is the perfect "bike" for me.

Mama P, another good reason to get a Spyder is the excellent skills course, in several steps, that they have in their manual. It is also on the DVD that comes with the Spyder (or at least it used to be) and can be seen on YouTube if you want a preview. In the course, they go over basic handling, as well as emergency evasive procedures. They also include drills where you kill the Spyder in motion, to learn how it reacts and get used to doing so if necessary. A few days with a Spyder in an empty parking lot, with some soccer cones or half tennis balls, will make you more comfortable and a lot safer in short order. I highly recommend it for all newbies...and an annual refresher doesn't hurt us old hands, either.
    That's a great reminder, Nancy. I have actually seen those videos, and they are very helpful. Yeah, when I first saw a Spyder, I went a little nuts reading and viewing everything I could get my hands on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never lose the opportunity to learn something from a mistake. (If I could remember that; I'd be a genius! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Phoenix View Post
    ...but I have no desire to get on another 2-wheeler. Even though I will take it slow, I am anxious and excited about getting a Spyder which I think is the perfect "bike" for me.
    Just because you go from two wheels to three, don't be lulled into a false sense of security that a Spyder CAN'T run away from you either. It just won't fall over.

Learn to use the clutch if it's a manual - pull it in and it disconnects the drive to the wheels, no matter what your throttle hand is doing. Become familiar with the foot brake and that you can reach for it quickly and smoothly.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Never lose the opportunity to learn something from a mistake. (If I could remember that; I'd be a genius! )
    Never! Or Always (depending on which way you read that).
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Just because you go from two wheels to three, don't be lulled into a false sense of security that a Spyder CAN'T run away from you either. It just won't fall over.

Learn to use the clutch if it's a manual - pull it in and it disconnects the drive to the wheels, no matter what your throttle hand is doing. Become familiar with the foot brake and that you can reach for it quickly and smoothly.
    Oh, I don't have a false sense of security for anything, especially bikes. I'm not even secure with my microwave. (Just kidding) IMHO, care needs to be taken with any motorized vehicle regardless of the number of wheels. I just know that with 3 wheels, I at least have a fighting chance.