Thread: Fog Light Out

Spyder Garage

Default Fog Light Out

Hey all! I've got a '12 RTS with just shy of 600mi. I've noticed that my left fog light bulb (if sitting on bike) is out. I called the dealer saying that it had stopped working between 200-300 miles and I wanted to let them know since I may not go in for my 600mi service until early Spring. The dealer mentioned that the bulb was a wear-and-tear item but perhaps the plug had just come loose or it shorted and it'd be covered.

I get that technically a bulb is wear and tear; however, the bulb themselves should be warrantied, no? Most bulbs I have bought for my cars have had a year coverage. I'm less than thrilled they might try and stick me with a bulb fee for something that crapped out in less than 6 months.

How hard do you think I can press realistically that this be covered by warranty (or even good will)?

Spyder Garage

I don't think you'll get anywhere. While I agree with you entirely in principle, BRP seems to be sticking like glue to the letter of their warranty wording these days, and with the dealer viewing it the same way, you don't stand a chance. I'd piss in the dealers\'s ear about it, but I expect you'll have to pay the bill if it is a bulb issue. Look at the wiring first, however, Several have come loose when the connectors were not latched. If you look up inside the wheelwell, you can follow the wiring back.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can probably push it a lot farther if you're being EXTRA nice about how you go about it...
    Can you put the bulb in yourself? if so; letting your dealer know that may make him feel a bit better about pulling one off of his shelves for you...
    Good Luck! Please let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The following quote is being edited by me:

Quote Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
    Hey all! I've got a '12 RTS with just shy of 600mi. I've noticed that my left fog light bulb (if sitting on bike) is out. The dealer mentioned that the bulb was a wear-and-tear item but perhaps the plug had just come loose or it shorted and it'd be covered.

I get that technically a bulb is wear and tear; however, the bulb themselves should be warrantied, no? Most bulbs I have bought for my cars have had a year coverage.

How hard do you think I can press realistically that this be covered by warranty (or even good will)?
    That's a hard one to answer. I've always (or at least tried to) operated under the maxim that you generally get more flies with honey. It's funny because after being on this forum now for almost three years, I've come to the conclusion that dealerships can be divided into two basic groups, i.e., those that really want your business and those that could give a rat's pahtooey.

If your dealer is the former, then point out to him that you will be spending roughly $2,000.00 a year (a conservative number) for service work. Surely that would help persuade your dealer to work with you on this one. If this doesn't help, then perhaps your dealer falls in the latter catagory.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I wasn't planning on being a jerk with them. I'm a pretty big softie at heart and generally overly nice even at place where I get service like dining out. Everyone has their master and if BRP is being a stickler then my dealer is bound to them.

I'll check the wiring tonight and see if it maybe came loose! I'll also see if me putting it in will save me some headache!