Thread: Odd Sound issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Odd Sound issue

I added a Garmin 665 a couple of months back and all seemed well. I am using the plug on the right rear side and it supplies both power an sound to the speakers.

Recently I started getting random drop outs of sound on the XM part. This occurred with both XM and other music,I took it to the dealer and asked them to please rewire it. They came back to me and said-They could not get any sound from the speakers, and it said no antenna connected-it was! I took it home and reinserted the antenna several times and it said no antenna and then finally no signal. I waited and drove around and eventually I did XM radio.

I am trying to figure out it the problem is the 665 or the spyder itself. Has anyone else had and type of sound problems as I described.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I am trying to figure out it the problem is the 665 or the spyder itself. Has anyone else had and type of sound problems as I described.
    I relate to your problem. My 665 does the same thing.

Garmin cradles are the worst and I'd bet that is where your problems lie. When you seat the Garmin in the cradle, there are vertical rows of connectors. Make sure they are clean and dry (alcohol wipes work well). The antena connects through the cradle and and the signal passes through these connectors to the 665 which converts the signal to sound...and guess what...sends the audio signal back through those connectors to the sound system.

A way to test the cradle is to take the second cradle (for the auto) and connect it in place of your current mount. (I know it's a pain in the a**, but it's the way to make sure.) You might end up with everything laying out on the seat.

This is a known problem with Garmin, which they will deny. They will want you to pay for the replacement cradle, but hold firm and they will send one to you along with a return authorization. Let us know what you find out and good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chasing an electrical grmlin is about like trying to catch smoke during a hurricane!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black