Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Best model for touring, RS out of the running?

Im pretty much settled on a STS although have not demo ride one yet. I tried a RT and RSS and like them both. RT bit too much for me and I will be solo most of the time. I maybe persuaded on a RSS If there is a great deal on a existing 2012 on the floor. I'm concerned with the long rides I do plan on taking some long trips. I know the RT and ST is made for the task but how is the RS on long trips? Is it a complete bad choice for it or just user preference? Any good or bad experiences I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

My GS/RS has been really good for me on the road, of course, it took some mods to get it there: the 4 inch risers, highway pegs, aftermarket seat and windshield make 800 to 1000 mile days possible, and comfortable. That said, comfort is a personal thing, and very much up to the individual. Check out each model, get the one you like, mod it to fit you.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I was looking for a spyder in 2010, buying the RT was the way to go for me because I have neck issues and the upright riding position of Rt was more comfortable for me. My wife is also my co-pilot so she needed to be comfortable too.

If I was riding solo most of the time I would buy and ST hands down even if I got a great deal on a RSS. The riding position is paramount to me. Best part is the shopping so have fun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Riding solo and short hops; the RS is a great bike!
    Two-up and some long days planned; the other 2 choices are vastly superior!
    The RT holds an edge in carrying capacity and the ST is a bit sportier; you choose!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

I had an '09 RS and out of the box the bike is good for three to four hour rides at the most. With about two thousand dollars of add ons it's good for three to four hour of rides at the most!

don't know yet about the STS but it should be a lot better. The RT is always going to be the long day ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It really depends how flexible you are; good core strength helps. I've done 10 hour days on a sportbike (Gixxer) so for me, the RS is pretty relaxed.. But if you want to do multiple days two up, the stock RS needs risers/pullbacks and a comfortable seat. In that case the ST and RT are better choices if you don't want to mess with the ergonomics.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

My first two 's were a GS and then an RS. The RT had not yet been invented. I toured all over Alaska with over 40,000 combined miles on the two. We had Corbin fairings, Corbin seat with backrest on one, and a comfort seat on the other. Also had 3" risers on the handlebars. This gave a better riding position for long trips and I had no problem doing 400 mile days.

When the RT came out, I went for that and liked the ride much better. I now have two RT's.

It is sounding more like the ST will fill that niche between the sportier RS and the touring RT. Seems like the best of both worlds for those who are on the fence. Test drives will have to be the convincer though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have had two RS/GS with a combined 55,000 miles. I tried the RT and found it too cushy and too expensive for me. But if you are riding two up it looks like the way to go.

The new RTS or STS or whatever it is called looks like a really nice middle of the road. It has all of the worthwhile RT features IMHO and none of the RT bloat. According to Lamont it sounds like it handles like a dream. The only downside I can see is that it has lost a few horses from the the RS/GS and once again the price. If I were in the market for another Spyder it would be that new one. But I have a RS/GS with all of the needed features added and so I am good to go for a while.

Whatever you finally decide it should be a hoot.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree the ST is the ideal middle line cruiser although if the price doesent make you take a second look than i think i would look again at the RT for around the same money.
    On another note my RSS has been a dream to ride long or short trips granted you may have to make some adjustments to suit your riding style but if i had to do it all over again and watching my budget was a concern i would still buy the RSS and outfit it as i needed for a few thousand less imo.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    Im pretty much settled on a STS although have not demo ride one yet. I tried a RT and RSS and like them both. RT bit too much for me and I will be solo most of the time. I maybe persuaded on a RSS If there is a great deal on a existing 2012 on the floor. I'm concerned with the long rides I do plan on taking some long trips. I know the RT and ST is made for the task but how is the RS on long trips? Is it a complete bad choice for it or just user preference? Any good or bad experiences I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks
    The 4 inch risers, touring windshield, and highway pegs make my RSS very comfortable for long rides. But I have to admit that when I sat on an RT a few weeks ago, it felt pretty darn comfortable and I spent a few days talking myself out of upgrading to one. I won't be sitting on an RT again unless I am ready to part with some money!

Spyder Garage

I agree with most..of you are flying solo then the RS can easily be made a great long distance driver. I will say riding one up on the rs ids not nearly as nice as the rt. With my Corbin saddle on my rs I've been able to go a tank of gas with out stopping...which compared to most bikes isn't that far

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot, opened up another option for me if the STS will be too much of a wait. I knew about seat changing but did not realize rising the handle bar and swap to a touring windshield. That may do the trick if it saves $ and can get riding sooner, my big deal with the STS was to get a more straight sitting posture and comfort for the long rides. The STS has a lot of other nice features as well that can't be ignored.

My adventures will be at least 8 hours to final destination and staying a day or two before the ride back. Besides fuel I'm sure will stop half way for a good break/rest before continuing but that's the kind of trips I have in mind. Larger trips when I have more time.

I hope to sit down with the dealer early January, When the time comes to make a deal will see what the wait is and i guess I have the option of getting a deal on a 2012 RSS and adding those mods. I like the colors on the RSS also.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

All that I'm hearing about the ST-x is that it is very comfortable, handles like a train on a track, and stops on a dime. It is noticeably better than its predecessors.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    All that I'm hearing about the ST-x is that it is very comfortable, handles like a train on a track, and stops on a dime. It is noticeably better than its predecessors.

Indeed. Keeping my on the prize. Know it will be a winner first choice.
    Last edited by Osros; 11-17-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You know the 500# elephant in the room is that we all are not the same. Some tall some short, some old some young, some fat some skinny and everything in between. What this means is that an RS for me (short and fat) was a really long reach over an ample belly. On the RT it is a lot closer and much more upright. I imagine that a tall skinny person on the same bike would have a totally different ergonomic situation, ie more upright and no belly. Well you see my point, you just have to try different models and see what works for you.

Spyder Garage

I'll never understand the criticism of the GS/RS for touring. Sure the RT is better no doubt, but the RS has got to be one of the most comfortable rides ever built compared to many motorcycles. All it really needs is handle bar risers and a better windshield, both readily available, easy to install, and reasonably priced, and you'll save thousands from buying an RT. Or just get an ST, BRP has done all the mods for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh I surely agree; if you spend enough money it can do the job...
    But try a fair and square; unmodified and un-tinkered-with comparison...

Spyder Garage

Consider your knees also, for me the revised foot position on the ST should be much better. Looking forward to a test drive
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The foot position is MUCH closer to that of the RTs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The foot position is MUCH closer to that of the RTs.
    REALLY close http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Pegs-RS-vs-ST
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode, and lke it a lot!