Spyder Garage

Question spyder key placement...just curious

I've seen a couple of pictures showing the place to put the key in the ignition is not in the middle of the bars but further up. Did the earlier spyders have a different place for the ignition or was this a mod? If it is a mod, what was the purpose of it?

Spyder Garage

I've been riding Spyders for four years now and have yet to see a key in between the handlebars .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

maybe, I am not saying it right...but look at this picture which to me is the place that all spyder keys go. I consider that the middle of the handle bar.

Spyder Garage

Default and this is what I meant by some had the ignition further up...

sorry for stealing your pic Lamonster but it is just to show what I mean. No copyright infringement.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Key placement

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    I've seen a couple of pictures showing the place to put the key in the ignition is not in the middle of the bars but further up. Did the earlier spyders have a different place for the ignition or was this a mod? If it is a mod, what was the purpose of it?
    This is the way the ignition is moved after installing Heli Bar riser on my 2008 GS

Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you!

Thank you cycleDave...I thought I was going crazy. so these helibar risers are they different from regular risers? Is that why the ignition is moved or is that just a preferance?

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ignition moved because

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    Thank you cycleDave...I thought I was going crazy. so these helibar risers are they different from regular risers? Is that why the ignition is moved or is that just a preferance?
    Hi
    If you look at the photos... you will notice that the handle bars are 5.5 in. higher and 5.5 in. farther back.
    the Spyder had a BRP 1 in. riser on it when I got it but you still had to lean way forward to ride it, this puts
    pressure on your shoulders and lower back like a sport bike... by the way I have a sport bike as well as the Spyder
    and installed the Heli Bars on it to. The Heli Bar riser is 4.5 inch and with the BRP still in place this moves the bars
    up and back to a much more comfortable position, this makes it necessary to relocate the ignition because the wiring is
    to short to move that far up and back. this setup comes with everything needed to do just that. it is not cheap but well
    worth the price... Also you do not have to cut off the ends of the factory bars like the other type of bar risers.
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave!
    Don't the Helibars offer a lot more adjustment capability too? I thought that you could set them fore and aft AND change the pullback angle...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Learned about something new here. Will wonders never cease?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red