Thread: 12 volt plug

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt plug

Has anyone mounted the 12 volt accessory plug somewhere besides in the front storage area? I want to have the plug accessible for my heated jacket and gloves. My husband is thinking about a spot on the side cowling very near the Can Am name. Anyone else have a good location?

Spyder Garage

Default Re: 12 volt plug

you can mount it anywere you want dont forget you have to cut a 1inch hole somewere. Why not mount it by the handle bars towars the bottom might be easer to plug your accs close by

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm getting one on mine for any accessories that I might want, but I'm thinking I might just add it after the fact and save the labor from the dealer so I can just figure out what I wanna do when I get a chance to ride it.

Does anyone have any pics of where they put theirs? ..... I mean, other than the trunk?

Spyder Garage

Here you go. I tied mine into Ken's (Evoluzioine) Power Bus System. Powerlet makes some quality products.http://www.powerlet.net/products.php?mid=1

Sam
    SN 0038 ... Dec, 2007

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey hevnbound what is that box to the left in your picture?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder13
    Hey hevnbound what is that box to the left in your picture?
    Here ya go 8)
    http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.htm

Spyder Garage

The "Heat Troller" regulates the heat for not only heated gear but also heated grips. I have "HOT GRIPS" which I purchased from http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm. Not associated with them but just a very satisfied customer. There are other heated grips and heated grip wraps on the market and I've used many of them but "Hot Grips" are simply awesome. Even heat and as much (heat) as you want or as little as you want.

A word of caution regarding the location of a power outlet around the handlebar area. I was tempted to place it on the black right hand panel but I noticed that when I turned the handlebars the clearance under the bars went from almost no clearance to good clearance. At the "good clearance" position however, I didn't think I could install the outlet properly without removing the piece and I didn't want to go there. It seems to be very stable where it is and also protected from the weather when moving. It was easy to get to on th back side of the panel.
    Sam
    SN 0038 ... Dec, 2007

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by hevnbound
    Here you go. I tied mine into Ken's (Evoluzioine) Power Bus System. Powerlet makes some quality products.http://www.powerlet.net/products.php?mid=1
    The power outlt on the dash, is that the original one from the Spyder?
    I thought it was only placed in the trunk. Can I ask my dealer to place it
    on the dash like the picture? Does it comes with the plastic cover?

Thx

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If thats what I think it is, its from a company called Powerlet. Its not the standard "cigar" type plug, but what most here in the states call a "BMW" style plug.
    Does the same thing, just provides a better connection since it has a definite "click" when inserted.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...FRciFQod1Q88Zw

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn
    If thats what I think it is, its from a company called Powerlet. Its not the standard "cigar" type plug, but what most here in the states call a "BMW" style plug.
    Does the same thing, just provides a better connection since it has a definite "click" when inserted.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...FRciFQod1Q88Zw

I have both a standard 12V plug and a BMW-style outlet (actually a John Deere product) on my Kawi Concours, and from my experience, the connection is much more reliable with the BMW-type outlet, especially when traversing bumps in the road.
    Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

We got the mounted version of the HeatTroller (www.warm-n-safe.com). We have used their products for years on BMWs. It got mounted next to the fog light switch (camera battery died so no pic). Plug for the jacket hides under the seat, sticks out by the tank bag when needed. Install not bad, but use the 'big nut' that comes with the kit, as the plastic in that position is thick.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Are the handle bars 7/8 or 1"?

And did you use the handlebar switch housing?

Thanks

2faston3

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have my 12v outlet on the left side of the dash. Lower left corner just enough room to fit there. 8)

Spyder Garage

The bars are 7/8"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    The bars are 7/8"

Spyder Garage

hevnbound and Putt-Putt, can you post a few pics of the power outlets installed? I am thinking of putting one or two outlets on the dash but the plastic feels pretty flexible there. I want something that is going to be accessible and sturdy. Any installation pointers?
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt
    hevnbound and Putt-Putt, can you post a few pics of the power outlets installed? I am thinking of putting one or two outlets on the dash but the plastic feels pretty flexible there. I want something that is going to be accessible and sturdy. Any installation pointers?
    Seconded.
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Just installed a power outlet where the analog gage was, tapped into lead that went to previous gage. Magic mirror magnets threw gages out, had to unplug Both sides! Prefect, right in front where needed. Located fuse behind speaker grill.need a photo? D-Daddy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by D-Daddy View Post
    Just installed a power outlet where the analog gage was, tapped into lead that went to previous gage. Magic mirror magnets threw gages out, had to unplug Both sides! Prefect, right in front where needed. Located fuse behind speaker grill.need a photo? D-Daddy
    This post started in 2008!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl