Spyder Garage

Default my saddle bags and top bag

givi side bags from givi , fit great and cheaper than BRP .i have a givi top rack that was designed to fit with the BRP side mounts .i had to do some bending and painting but in the end it fit nicely .i wanted to get the small givi top mount but by the time i went shopping it had been discontinued .so i had to adapt .the top bag is a monokey kappa 49 .i can haul a lot of stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

How about some part numbers and place of purchase. And a little more detail on the 'bending and painting' thing. It looks like a good rig and I want to copy it.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    How about some part numbers and place of purchase. And a little more detail on the 'bending and painting' thing. It looks like a good rig and I want to copy it.
    ya, me too...
    014.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default part #'s

my givi side bags mounting frame is part #PLX770-KL770 .the top mount frame is part #SRX999/XR999 .i got the side bag package from Tennysons of Underwood ont and the top frame came from Two Wheel Motorsport of Guelph ont .i know the givi side bags are still available but i dont know about this top rack .and the top rack i have is designed for use with the BRP side frames .there is a difference between the givi and BRP side frames . the givi mounts much closer to the bike and that is why i had to bend the tubes of the top frame to make it work .i will try to get some pics later to show how i did it .not for the timid , i could have easily ended up with 189.00 worth of scrap tubing if i screwed up .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on a job well-done!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Looks great

Spyder Garage

thanks for the comments , much appreciated .still working on pictures , too nice a day today to sit on the computer .

Spyder Garage

Default top bag mounting frame

next post has the diagram that came with the frame .the bars that have to be bent are the ones that bolt to the saddlebag locking tab mount .once you get the right amount of curve on the bars , then you need to put a twist on the brackets that bolt to the tab so they will line up properly .the bends at the rear of the frame on both sides needs to be increased and then you can bolt to the saddle bag frame using the long supplied bolts and a fender washer .remember if you have BRP saddlebags and mounts , no mods to the frame are required
    Last edited by wftb; 11-11-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default top bag mounting frame and the bends

Spyder Garage

you need to go on the BRP and/or givi websites to see if these part #'s have been discontinued or not .the frame i bought had been at the dealer's for a long time .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You might want to redo that rear strut attachment

There have been cases of owners cracking that rear strut. The stock mounting uses two separate nut/washer combos and that design stresses the thin tubes at the holes.

I finished my conversion this weekend. The struts are attached using a simple U-bolt I got from the hardware store. The bonus is that the u-bolt has a plate, and spreads the load over more surface area; decreasing the likelihood of the strut failing.

I went this route because it doesn't require hacking up the original Can Am tail piece and I don't have to shell out $$$ for the sport rack and hack that up too. Instead of bending the top arm, I cut off the plate and will have it re welded once I get the mock up complete.

20121125_160504.jpg20121125_160625.jpg20121125_160732.jpg
    Last edited by asp125; 11-26-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default U bolts look good

there isnt any sign of cracking on the downstruts on my setup but i like your idea about the U bolts .i just looked at my setup and i should be able to fit them in with out much trouble . did you buy your rack recently ?