Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I think a lot has to do with the fact that the OP has never had a motorcycle, or riding gear before. I had considered BajaRon when we were looking, but I do feel we were better off with the local option, as we had to go in, try them all on, take them apart, and such. If I had more experience with different gear, I'd have no problem dealing with him, or any other online vendor. I just didn't think it was fair to go to a local store, take up their time, try their gear on, then walk out and order online. Now that I have an idea how the jackets work, and sizes run, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him the next time.

I dont think its fair for local shops to mark everything up at least 50 %

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BajaRon's stuff is also very well priced and his service delivery is exceptional...

Spyder Garage

I always shop the closeouts at the online stores. I also have bought from Honda Toledo--Justin there is awesome. In any case, make sure of your sizes if you shop online--sometimes returns on closeouts can save lots of money but be a pain to return. Here's a few of my favorite spots:

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

www.newenough.com

www.ironpony.com (my favorite online store)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the feedback! A lot of good stuff to look at. I will most certainly check out my local shops and sponsors here as we'll as the sites. I did dip in to a motorcycle place today I had no idea what was my helmet size, looks like a XL just need to try more and make sure I have a correct fit. I'm off to a good start thanks again. Oh and just like everything else the stuff I like the most is the most expensive, figures

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    Oh and just like everything else the stuff I like the most is the most expensive, figures
    Yeah, me too. But that's because, like they say, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you can find last year's versions of top brands of riding gear at closeout prices that are half what the newer versions are selling for. I've done this a number of times. BajaRon has had some really good closeout prices on FirstGear stuff and on Arai helmets. Motorcyclegear.com has also had some good closeout sales.

I don't buy much gear from my local dealer for a couple of reasons. First, they don't have a very good stock of what I would call good quality gear. Most of their gear is cheaper stuff that I don't like. They also don't have sales people who are very knowledgable about riding gear. I'm not criticizing them for this, it's just a fact. Sometimes, they will work with me on prices although they will probably still be higher than online prices. It's worth a little more because I don't have to worry about sending the stuff back if it's not right.

But one thing that I won't do, is go in and try on gear and then order it online after I find what fits. Doing that just rubs my conscience the wrong way. So when I order wearing apparel online I'm sure to order from companies that have good return policies in case the product doesn't fit or just isn't what I expected it to be.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    ... I did dip in to a motorcycle place today I had no idea what was my helmet size, looks like a XL just need to try more and make sure I have a correct fit.
    That is one (KEY) area where a knowledgeable sales associate trained in helmet fit is invaluable. They will measure your head and know the difference between a correct but snug fit, vs an incorrect but snug fit.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all good stuff. I just left Moto Liberty in Dallas and the folks there where helpful and very knowledgeable. I got fitted for a Helmet turns out I'm a medium and gave me advice on helmet fitting for when I'm ready to buy. They even pointed me to a different store to try some of their Helmet brands they did not have to make sure I got the right fit and Helmet for me, which was pretty awesome.

I pretty much decided on a full face modular style Helmet, and have an idea jacket also I will go back for sure when I'm ready and also got the look al feel for all sorts of gear, so if I online shop I feel more comfortable deciding.

Moto Liberty - Thumbs up!
    Last edited by Osros; 11-17-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Glad you got some good information and help. RE: Helmet sizing--different brands are not always the same when it comes to sizing--so try to keep that in mind. It is best to try on helmets--like you are doing--to make sure you get the size that fits you best for a particular brand.

I use Nolan helmets exclusively now because I like the way they fit and the features of the helmets. I have three full face and two modular versions. I like the fact that the whole front of the helmet opens up on the full face helmets. I have never enjoyed trying to stuff my head into the other types of full face helmets. Now that I know what size works, that allows me to shop around if I cannot find the one I want locally.

Shopping motorcycle gear can be both fun and intimidating. Enjoy your continued search and keep us posted.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red