Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with first motorcycle apparel, best places to buy.

I searched some posts but did not really find what I wanted.

I never been on a motorcycle so when I get the Spyder it will be my first time with helmets, jackets and such. I been to a dealership a seen what they had to offer which was ok just don't know if they where my best options and prices.

Is there other stores in the North Texas area anyone can recommend or any online sites that you are happy with. What you recommend for my first helmet and jackets? Do I need the padded jackets?

I realize its a preference thing, but would like some ideas on my first setup and maybe later I will get more comfortable getting something better or stylish

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I try to support the local dealers whenever I can - though I am not familiar with TX. I have found most will deal to get in the ballpark of online store pricing. I am willing to pay a bit more for the ability to see actual product and have a local place to go to. That being said, it is sometimes hard to find dealers that have inventory to try on and feel. That being the case, I have researched on the internet. I have found Competition Accessories to be good to work with. Also, Iron Pony.

Spyder Garage

Don't know where you are in North Texas, but there are several locations for Cyclegear here in the Metroplex. Another good place is Motoliberty in Dallas. If you are in our area , I am also including a couple of our Spyder Ryders of North Texas site links. Our Facebook link is a good place to ask questions about local rides and get local info. Also, you can hook up with other Spyder owners. I like to buy a lot of my stuff on e-bay, but I also buy locally when I can. For a newbie, I would go to a brick and mortar and try stuff on and get a feel for the sizes and get a first hand look at what some of the different offerings are.

Kyle

http://www.cyclegear.com/

http://www.motoliberty.com/da_store.asp

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/177340962330792/

http://www.spyderrydersofnorthtexas.com/
    Last edited by BLUE MULE; 11-07-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    2011 RT-SE5 - Orbital Blue - Garmin Zumo 660, Shoei Firestrike Helmets, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth, Real Chrome Dash Kit, Butler Mug and Camera Mount, Spyderpops Heat Shield, Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Riding Gear

Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown has a good selection of gear and the staff is very helpfull at selecting the right gear for your riding style.
    Rick
    New Braunfels, TX
    2009 GS Silver and Black
    Kuryakyn Grips and Risers
    Spyderpops missing air dam
    Spyderpops Air Management system
    Madstad Windshield
    Rivco Floor board and Highway pegs

Spyder Garage

Only you can make the decision about how much protection you want to wear; we're proponents of ATGATT. You definitely need to try on different helmets and figure out what one suits you the best. Check out different helmets at a local bike shop, if you can. We like helmets with a built in sun visor, so we've had HJC and, more recently, a Vega V-comm helmet (built in communications system). It's nice to be able to try on different apparel, but our local dealer doesn't carry much in the way of clothing. We personally like armored jackets, but we've been on rides with people in short sleeves. That's just not something we do. We've purchased jackets from Competition Accessories as well as off eBay (you can find good deals on Can-Am stuff there). We have chaps for colder weather riding, although some folks we ride with wear motorcycle pants. (I've found them a little more cumbersome to walk around in and prefer the chaps). Good luck deciding what to get.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

as far as helmets go.. don't buy on line.. you have to try them on.. walk around the showroom for awhile and notice the pressure points.. they don't ease up with wear... you don't need a vise on your head that will give you a headache a few hrs in..

Spyder Garage

Sorry that I cannot give you advice about local dealers. A great place to "see it all" on line is

motorcyclesuperstore.com.

I am also a proponent of buying local where possible but if I want item x and cannot find it, I will go elsewhere.

Also a proponent of ATGATT so this would be a basic list that I would suggest.

Helmet: recommend full face. Communicators, Cardo or Sena. I like Nolan helmets because they have an articulated front piece that raises up and makes access to the helmet easier.

Riding Gear: Leather or Textile? I like both. A really, really, good deal available from Alaskalealther.com Boots, chaps, and a leather jacket for $299.00. package price. Textile jackets and pants can run $700.00 and up depending what level of protection you want. In your area of the country you do not need cold weather riding gear. I like Firstgear and my 3 outfits prove it. BajaRon on our site sells Firstgear also.

Boots: traditional or european. You can get a good pair of european style waterproof for around $150. traditional (engineer style) can run from $90 and up.

Gloves--get good leather ones. I have light, medium, medium waterproof, and heavy for winter driving.

You can spend a lot of money or a little--but need to look around a bit. Good luck with your search and have fun with the new gear.

A "leather package" above will get you into business for about $800 or less for everything. Helmet, communicators, leather riding gear, boots, gloves.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents

I have a leather jacket and a textile one. I use the textile one almost exclusively. It's tour aster and has 3 layers. In summer I use only the mesh jacket, then when it's cooler I can zip on the outer shell. In the coldest times I add in the quilted lining. I really like the flexibility.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gotta give a shoutout to Motorcyclegear.com. They are a family business in Shallowater Tx. Great selection at affordable prices. Their customer support has always been knowledgeable and responsive. I had to return a jacket (mis-sized) one time and they shipped my replacement out before I sent the old one back. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Being newbies ourselves, we had to invest in all the gear too so know what you are going thru! We checked out our local stores tried on various helmets to check for fit, style, etc. My first helmet was a modular Scorpion, my hubby a modular HJC. Just got the same as his a few weeks ago. We had to order his because most stores didn't carry the size he needed. My sister recommended motorcycle-superstore.com -- she has purchased from them for years. Their prices were $30+ cheaper with free shipping and no tax. We have also had no hassles from them with return either. Plus they always give you a discount coupon for your next order! I love a sale! I recently purchased my leather jacket from there too - had found it at a local store, but again, the price is why we purchased from them. I like to shop locally, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Have purchased gloves, my first helmet, and other accessories from them.

We ended up with the modular helmet because they give you the benefit of a full face, has built in sunglasses, is easier to out on, can have the chin part up when want to (especially during hot days I found it more comfortable). I know some people say full helmets aren't necessary, but after knowing people who have had accidents and knowing how the helmet saved them I won't go without. We have also adopted the ATGATT philosophy. Have fun shopping!

"knees to the breeze!"

Spyder Garage

Default Riding Gear

Try to find a store in your area that only deals in motorcycle gear. There prices for the most part are cheaper than Motorcycle
    dealer prices for gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

remember.. when you buy locally .. you support your neighbors and yourself in the tax dollars that go back into to your community.. not someone elses ... loose a nickle spend a dime

Spyder Garage

Also, the International Motorcycle Show is in Dallas this weekend at the convention center. The will have gear vendors there for you to check out and BRP will be there with the new Spyder lineup. Would be a great place to start for a newbie. You can talk to the BRP reps personally if you need to know more about the Spyder. Also, on Saturday at 2:00, about 50 or 60 riders from DFW, Houston and parts unknown will be there for a meet and greet. Great chance to hook-up with a lot of us Spyder folk and ask some of those burning questions.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/dallas
    2011 RT-SE5 - Orbital Blue - Garmin Zumo 660, Shoei Firestrike Helmets, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth, Real Chrome Dash Kit, Butler Mug and Camera Mount, Spyderpops Heat Shield, Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

www.foxcreekleather.com. Top quality U.S. made leather goods. If your looking for light weight designer stuff they are not for you. Super fast shipping, easy returns if you pick the wrong size. Made to last a couple of lifetimes.
    Mike

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie

Right now CycleGear.com has a great 66% sale going on. Check it out. Plus they have riding boots that are waterproof.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For your first time, do find a local store to buy from. The fit of Motorcycle gear is way different than regular clothes / jackets. What we did was some research online, then went to a local store that carried the same products, and tested them out. They had a higher price tag than online, so I asked if they would price match. All I had to do was to pull up the website on my phone for them to verify the price, and they matched. I had to pay sales tax, but saved on shipping.

As someone else has said.. never buy a helmet online unless you are simply replacing yours with the same make / model. Helmet sizes vary from every manufacturer. Also the shape / style of the helmet will affect the fit.

Spyder Garage

http://www.revzilla.com Very good service and return policy if you order the wrong size. Alot of videos on products also.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BlueMule mentioned the International Motorcycle show which is in Dallas this weekend. I would agree wholeheartedly. You will not only find a lot of gear there and much of it at show special prices but many very well informed sales people. I'd recommend attending and, if you do, be sure to stop at Arai helmets' display and listen to Bruce Porter explain about motorcycle helmets. I don't think anyone in the world knows more about helmets than he does.

BlueMule also recommended Motoliberty in Dallas and included a link. I agree. They are very well stocked and also have well informed sales people.

Online, BajaRon has good prices on riding gear and helmets, and ships faster than anyone. He also knows his business and is a site sponsor. Just PM him on Spyderlovers. Motorcyclegear.com in Shallowater, Texas just outside Lubbock, is a good online source as well.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check out Ebay for sure for Can-Am stuff...I just won a bid for a set of leather pants that retail for $399 and I got them for $51.00 from Leaders Marine in Kalamazoo. Leaders has a lot for stuff for both male and female...Can't beat bargins like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...336133?vxp=mtr

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I shop at my local motorcycle gear shops. Find what I like and what fits then I go home and research how much I can find it for online. Sometimes you can save 200.00 - to 300.00 on the helmet alone. Plus in most cases you dont pay tax or shipping. I few times I have printed the info out and take the info to the local dealer and ask if he can match the price. Sometimes they will and sometimes they say they cant.

Spyder Garage

I may have missed it; but, our very own BajaRon is a (top notch) supporting vendor that sells riding gear, including helmets, pants, jackets, and also other products like sway bars, oil products, plug wires, etc. I have found him to be top notch (oh, I just repeated myself; but, can't say enough good things about Ron) and more than willing to help with questions.

Okay, now I can go back into hiding.

I'm sorry; post #7 also mentions Baja. My mistake.
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-08-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I may have missed it; but, our very own BajaRon is a (top notch) supporting vendor that sells riding gear, including helmets, pants, jackets, and also other products like sway bars, oil products, plug wires, etc. I have found him to be top notch and more than willing to help with questions.

Okay, now I can go back into hiding.

I'm sorry; post #7 also mentions Baja. My mistake.
    I think a lot has to do with the fact that the OP has never had a motorcycle, or riding gear before. I had considered BajaRon when we were looking, but I do feel we were better off with the local option, as we had to go in, try them all on, take them apart, and such. If I had more experience with different gear, I'd have no problem dealing with him, or any other online vendor. I just didn't think it was fair to go to a local store, take up their time, try their gear on, then walk out and order online. Now that I have an idea how the jackets work, and sizes run, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him the next time.

Spyder Garage

Big shout out to leatherup.com. I bought my helmet along with my wife's. We shopped locally for sizing but bought online as their price was far more reasonable. They also provide good sizing charts.

We also bought our armored jackets there: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ket/51270.html. My wife has the same brand in black for women. The jackets are great and include zipout liners and venting pockets. So far I'm very happy with Xelement's quality and price. Remember to buy a size or two up if you plan on layering. I wear an XL jacket and bought 2XL. It fits but could have gone with a 3XL.

I've also bought from Revzilla.com and Jafrum.com. It's really important to shop around. I've found a helmet at Jafrum that was $70 more at Revzilla. For me, Revzilla has become my place to go to for detailed product information (often they have videos), but more often than not, they are the highest price.

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Gear

My wife and I purchased our gear from Moto Liberty 2 years ago at their Midnight Madness Sale. Their Midnight Madness Sale is Saturday, November 10th starting at 10AM. We purchased Olympia jackets, pants, and gloves at this sale. Moto Liberty has recently moved to the access road on the north side 635 west of Josey lane.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue