Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is the best trailer to haul a Spyder RT on? ---and gravel road?

I am curious if anyone knows of a great trailer or company that makes a trailer to haul a Spyder RT well----I am thinking if I have to travel a long distance to buy a Spyder at a good deal----I don't necessarily want to blow the miles and wear etc., towards the 600 mile break-in just trying to get it back to my home.

On a second quick note- I live in the country and have about 2 miles of gravel road- before I can get to paved----they say the Spyder should not be driven on gravel----what do others do on this subject?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default T

The most fun is to ride it home.

ivor

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of gravel roads in my area too. I'd also be interested in everyone's opinion how they handle driving on gravel roads.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink No problem

i

Gravel roads no problem just make sure you put on the Spyder pops gaurds and don't spin the tire until its deep the sprocket is close the the road I've ridden many mile on gravel I used to ask my wife to slow down when I was on 2 and she was on 3 love spyders
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I have carried my Spyder on an AST trailer. They are expensive, $5k plus, easy to load, remote key fob lowers the trailer, Soft ride with air bags and definitely not very durable. Two miles of gravel road would require that you have it repainted every time you use it. Their customer service is awful. The cool factor is really high with this trailer.

I have been looking at a Drop Tail which are more cost effective at $3.5k and look like they are much more durable. My problem so far is that I have not been able to find a viable dealer. I have not tried that hard and will make a more concentrated effort. Anyone have experience with a Drop Tail?

There are a number of aluminum landscaping trailers. Almost all of them will present some trouble with loading because of the low ground clearance.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

There are a wide variety of both open and enclosed trailers suitable for Spyder transport. The key is to get one with a clear opening wide enough to safely load and unload. The RT is 62" wide, and you will need a few more inches to load safely. Measure before you buy or rent. U-Haul has very little to offer that is suitable, if you are thinking rental. Be sure to measure between the cables and not just the door width for an enclosed trailer. As was said, the Spyder is low, and short ramps (or tall trailers) may offer difficulty with the Spyder bottoming out at the hinge area. Loading/unloading to a hill, jacking up the front of the trailer, or additional wooden plank ramps can overcome the loading/unloading issue. If you load the Spyder backwards, you will likely want to remove the windshield to prevent damage.

As to gravel, The SpyderPops belt guard is a good idea, and you may want to have a spare belt, just to make you feel better. A number of riders use the Spyder on gravel roads regularly or sporadically, but a few have suffered damaged belts. Stop and clear the sprocket at the first sign of unusual vibration or noise, and inspect the belts and sprockets often. Some riders say go slow, some say go as fast as possible, but in reality you just take your chances and be prepared to make repairs as necessary.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Iiron Horse Trailers are fantastic!!!!!

http://ironhorsetrailers.com/thetrai...ketrailer.html

Look for a used one...................

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=boomerkc;536524]http://ironhorsetrailers.com/thetrai...ketrailer.html

IronHorse trailers rock!

KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    I have carried my Spyder on an AST trailer. They are expensive, $5k plus, easy to load, remote key fob lowers the trailer, Soft ride with air bags and definitely not very durable. Two miles of gravel road would require that you have it repainted every time you use it. Their customer service is awful. The cool factor is really high with this trailer.

I have been looking at a Drop Tail which are more cost effective at $3.5k and look like they are much more durable. My problem so far is that I have not been able to find a viable dealer. I have not tried that hard and will make a more concentrated effort. Anyone have experience with a Drop Tail?

There are a number of aluminum landscaping trailers. Almost all of them will present some trouble with loading because of the low ground clearance.
    I own a droptail trailer and am very pleased with its construction, the tie downs are not really in a good place but they will work until i redo them, i bought mine from redline in Mississippi. trailer is very durable and i love the fact that it folds up and i can put in my garage in front of my wifes vehicle.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

For a trailer I use an Aluma model 638
    As for your roads I drive 1/2 mile dirt and 1/2 mile gravel before I get to pavement. The gravel part is ok just take it slow and easy.
    The dirt is fine when its dirt. When its mud it sucks. Again slow and easy, slide around some, wash bike as soon as I can and use road grader to try and keep it decent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A friend of mine has a mile long gravel driveway and she takes her Spyder up and down it.. she's got no choice. I've seen sections as long as 5mi on local highways which are graveled during construction. I would have no reservations about taking the Spyder onto packed dirt roads (without ruts or crowns) or gravel for short distances. We're not talking about dual sporting it on Jeep trails here. As long as it's relatively smooth and packed down you should be ok at reduced speeds.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Alumna TK-1 Trailer is what I bought. See the mods section on "Cavman's Getting Started" to see some photos. It's an open trailer and the ramp stores underneath. Rock guard in front that has storage. You can get extra hold downs at US Cargo Control.com.

Spyder Garage

2+ on the SpyderPops guard - learned at the cost of a replaced belt ($300). I ride on gravel 20% of the time.

I would ONLY consider a fully covered trailer to transport the RT. What kind is determined by the depth of your checkbook. Mine is a 7.5x12x7, single axel (with electric brakes). The added height gives - not only better loading comfort - but a better ramp angle for the RT to enter. My trailer also has dual E-tracks at 6" & 48", an RV front door, stabilizers on the rear, and a home built kitchen in the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kendon?

Anyone ever try to load their Spyder onto a Kendon? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

We have one for our bikes, great for that. The ramp height is pretty low. In the event I ever have to rescue our Spyder I wonder if it would even fit backwards. The rear tire straddling the center rails and the two wheels on either side. I think the wheelbase may be too long though.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

We are the proud owners of aDroptail trailer and are very happy with the ease of use. We purchased it from Hona East Toledo, who is also our Spyder dealer. Its standing up out of way for the Winter.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: What is the best trailer to haul a Spyder RT on? ---and gravel road?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Alumna TK-1 Trailer is what I bought. See the mods section on "Cavman's Getting Started" to see some photos. It's an open trailer and the ramp stores underneath. Rock guard in front that has storage. You can get extra hold downs at US Cargo Control.com.
    Do you load the spyder backwards on the TK2? What kind of price did you get?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a AST3 and I have been very happy with it, my opinion it's the best that is if you want an open trailer. By the way mine is for sale, also the Spyder.
    GEDC0179.jpg

Spyder Garage

I travel gravel/dirt/mud/clay roads regularly....like everytime I go for a ride (no choice) and no problems so far.

I do have the missing belt guard.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A major player in riding on dirt and/or gravel roads, is the realization that you've GOT to slow down to keep stuff from getting kicked up and causing trouble...
    I've got no extra protection around my drive belt; I just keep the speeds low and try to avoid the loose stuff.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    Definitely overkill !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But way cool!
    Camping need not be the same as suffering!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile

I bought a Legend trailer made in Michigan. I am very happy with it.

Spyder Garage

I absolutely love my Drop Tail Trailer. It is sturdy, has its own hydraulics, and stores very easily for a trailer...

This is with the back lowered (you want the 2200):
    http://www.droptailtrailers.com/Powe...ilers-s/21.htm

And, so you can see it, with the back raised (same trailer, really, just with the bike attachments):
    http://www.droptailtrailers.com/Crui...ilers-s/12.htm

Spyder Garage

Whats the price of the Iron Horse Trailer? Bob