Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners Manual

Spyder Garage

Default Owners Manual

After reading the post about self-canceling turn signals, it made me wonder just had many of you have read your owners manual?

When in the Navy if one of my sailors went to work on something, the first thing he did was get the manual for that piece of equipment. I have read both the 08 GS manual and the 12 RT manual; both of them have lots of good information. Also the owners manuals are available online, so you can read them on your computer. What is nice is that you can enlarge the print on your computer so it is easier to read.

How many of you ever watched the DVD that came with your ?

I know I'm the weird one in reading all owners manual and instruction sheets before working or doing something, but it does help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RTDM... first!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

First thing I did was read the book and watch the DVD, more than once.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

I read the manuals too. Picked our new RT up on Saturday and realized we did not receive the owner's manual. Downloaded the online version but not easy to read the PDF. I should have received a DVD too?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Why read the owner's manual when you can ask on Spyderlovers what i did wrong and how can i fix it Besides most use the pages of the manual to clean the windshield on their car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    I read the manuals too. Picked our new RT up on Saturday and realized we did not receive the owner's manual. Downloaded the online version but not easy to read the PDF. I should have received a DVD too?
    Are you sure? If you have an RTS or LTD with the front trunk liner, it is hidden behind the zipper flap in the trunk.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I read and watched all spyder information that was available and than did it again.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Are you sure? If you have an RTS or LTD with the front trunk liner, it is hidden behind the zipper flap in the trunk.
    Thanks..will check later today if it is there!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is in the bottom rear of the frunk on 3 velcro pads.
    2012 RT LTD SE5 LAVA BRONZE
    Mods:
    Baker airwings
    Butler mugholder
    Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard
    Ultimate Tallboy seat
    Diamond R passenger armrest
    Bajaron anti-sway bar
    HMT brake light
    Diamond R premium floorboards and pegs (front and rear)

Spyder Garage

Bingo! Found it in the frunk. Thank you Nancy and Papa.

Spyder Garage

We re-read the manual and watch the video at the start of every riding season. Sometimes, I even watch the video during the long winter just for entertainment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My owner's manual is always in arm reach and I read it more often than anything else except this forum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Manual? There's a manual?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Yep, It comes in Handy when the Spyders parking brake fails to hold , If you stick it under the tire it will
    stop the Spyder from rolling away.
    Last edited by boborgera; 10-29-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Erags View Post
    After reading the post about self-canceling turn signals, it made me wonder just had many of you have read your owners manual?

When in the Navy if one of my sailors went to work on something, the first thing he did was get the manual for that piece of equipment. I have read both the 08 GS manual and the 12 RT manual; both of them have lots of good information. Also the owners manuals are available online, so you can read them on your computer. What is nice is that you can enlarge the print on your computer so it is easier to read.

I know I'm the weird one in reading all owners manual and instruction sheets before working or doing something, but it does help.
    Xm Radio, BRP CB, Top block off plate, Lazard LED, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

watched the dvd before I even had the spyder at home...read the manual over the course of about a week. Good thing too because my tire pressure was really low on all 3 tires when my dealer delivered it. correct tire pressure made a lot of difference in steering.

Spyder Garage

Default REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post

Spyder Garage

Read the manual, watched the DVD, then found Spyderlovers. Read about 30-40 threads, many recommended re-reading manual. So read it again. Definitely worth the time.
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Agreed! I downloaded it and read it before and after I bought my spyder.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I am one that always reads the manuals included with the products I buy. However, the Spyder RT manual has a few critical errors in it. When questioned about issues in the manual, BRP hides behind the mask that the question is too technical and you must have the dealer intervene.

Spyder Garage

Default Have a saved PDF to Desktop..Usually Up when on SypderLovers

Like tonight - was reading today's new "Battery Tender" thread (finally opened the JR tender) while looking at the Owner's Manual about the battery/charging.

And guess what? Regarding my fumes issue: The manual even has a note, not to overfill the gas tank = "
    – Never top off the fuel tank. Leave some room for the fuel to expand with temperature changes." & " 5. Fill the tank until the fuel nozzle automatically clicks and shuts off. NOTE: Do not try to top off the fuel tank. Leave some room for the fuel to expand with temperature changes."

I was continously topping off the tank (ignoring the auto cutoff because I was skeered we'd run out of gas!) - then threaded about the pugent/toxic fumes when parking in the garage, and voila' , SL's straightened me out!

I had read the MOM twice (before/after purchase) and it didn't stick!! Such a knucklehead I am

2012 RT A/C SE5 (A9CA) Magnesium
    04Oct - purchased 1mi
    25Oct - 538mi
    27Oct - 626mi 1st Svc - 714mi end of day.
    UltraGard RT Cover; Custom Dynamics Rear HMT (installed); Custom Dynamics Mud Flap LEDs (installed); Chrome Lower Spoiler Trims (not installed); Widow/Spyder Rear Axle Caps (not installed)...should get these installed......12v Battery Tender Jr.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found the information here on Spyderlovers is about 10x more helpful than the MOM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Agreed! I downloaded it and read it before I went and test drove a spyder. I also keep the paper manual in the frunk of WebRyder so if I need the reference on the road and a copy of the PDF manual on my laptop and on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet which goes where I go. I would not say I have memorized the manual but I am quite familure with it due to the habbit I picked uo in the Navy (also) of reading manuals before operating or working on equipment. It just pays to do so.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default Owners Manual

Where do you go to access one on line to read. Getting a 2013 RT SM5 limited Thursday. Need to read one.

Spyder Garage

The collective knowledge of this place is unbeatable. That having been said I had the manual and dvd about 2 weeks before I had the bike and went through both several times. Also took the safety course a few weeks ago. All have taught me something.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White