Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tempture for riding

At what tempture would you say was too cold for you to ride your spyder, and what it the coldest you have ridden in, and wish you were in a car instead of being on spyder?

Spyder Garage

For me it would depend a lot on why I was going riding and whether it was weather wise safe as temp is just not enough of a factor by it's self.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There is an old saying "There is no such thing as bad weather just bad equipment". With the right clothing you can ride in any temp. I have all sorts of gear for any temperature and ride all year but the coldest that I care to ride is from 35 degrees and up. This is more determined by the presence or chance of ice in the road. With an RT and its excellent wind coverage, heated grips and a Tourmaster one piece riding suit over warm clothes just about any cold temp is possible.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The coldest i've ridden in was 6 degrees f, With a heated jacket, heavy leather M/C jacket [a real m/c jacket] , lined jeans and a good pair of leather gloves. No problem with the cold.
    The only thing i make sure of is' I take extra clothing in case for some reason the heated jacket falls.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know yet

I haven't rode my RT in extreme cold weather yet, but I have on my Yamaha Tmax 9 degrees, comfort would be the right gear to wear and depending how long you are riding.

Spyder Garage

I would say 40 degrees is about all I could take when I consider the wind. I can handle cold but a cold wind is a killer!

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

28 so far. Cold really isn't an issue if you dress properly. Snow and ice are the problem.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Coldest on a Spyder, 34 degrees, when I was MUCH younger, I rode my new Virago home at -6.

john

Spyder Garage

As long as you have the right gear and its safe to ride any temp should be fine. It all comes down to your reason to ride. Some like Dave and Teddy, it's their only means of transport so they ride in all conditions. Myself I ride because I enjoy it, if I have a planned ride with friends then I put on layers and enjoy the ride. If I was just going by myself and it turned cold I would deploy the cya move. Hey Honey, haven't spent much time with you, decided to skip the ride today and spend some time together.

Just make sure you have enough layers so you can adjust as it gets hotter during the day the cools off quite quickly in the afternoon. The temp drops quite a bit while your moving, long johns, lined water proof jeans, thermal socks etc. Keep you core temp warm, if your shivering stop, add more clothes, if you can not stop shivering don't ride anymore.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Check out SethO's posts on year around riding in northern Minn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll ryde as long as it's at least in the upper thirties; I don't want any chances of finding a chunk of frozen roadway in my path...
    And at those temperatures with my riding gear; I've always been pretty darn comfortable!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

About 5 years ago. PGR Mission Funeral. 9 when I left the house, 18 when I got back, a hundred and twenty miles later. He had been badly injured in Iraq, never got better. He and his whole family rode. This was a ST1100 with no heated anything.
    It all depens on the event. About 35 for normal riding, Missions depend on how far, road, weather and that kind of stuff.
    Agree with most of the above ideas, but add one. If you get a warm feeling after being cold a while, you should have stopped and got in a warm place, 20 min ago or more.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I don't ride at much below 20-25. I don't enjoy it at much below 35-40. A lot depends on your gear, wind protection, heated gear/grips, and where you reside. "Too cold" is a relative thing. Florida residents wear their Edddie Bauer parkas at 50, while we Yankees break out the shorts.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perspective can be a confusing thing... Floridians seem to get cold in weather that we bask in, and we start sweating like pigs when they're barely taking off their sweaters! Go figure!

New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

It was 45 when I left my house (I can tolerate that) but by the time I got to work it was 38 and I was a popsicle!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your riding gear can; and will, make all of the difference!

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have a snowmobile or ski/snowboard you have the right gear.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Even as a Floridian, I have ridden here locally at 30 degrees. I had on great gear and was more comfortable than any 100 degree day I have ever seen... I wouldn't seek out fun rides much below that, but would never hesitate to ride at any temp where the trip was necessary...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Long rides the right gear makes the ride tolerable, It's the short rides of only a few miles that are a problem for me, By the time i get dressed for the cold i could have been there and back, So i leave some of the heavy stuff of and grin and bear it..

Spyder Garage

On motorcycle, 35F and up is a general rule for me. So long no ice, water and gravelly road salt.

Coldest I've ridden is probably 10F as a teenager. Used to go out on my Yamaha enduro with friends that had snowmobiles. Would not likely do that today...but was fun at the time.
    Last edited by Raknid; 10-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold weather riding

Last winter I rode down to 15 degrees several times for up to about an hour. I don't have heated gear but layer up good. I just finished a 200+ mile ride that started at about 30 degrees and ended about 45 degrees. I did stop once for a short lunch but the sun was out and a great relaxing ride. It's only been down to 27 this year so far. I did ride about 3000 miles last winter which is good for northern Illinios where it can get down to -27.

Just can't get enough riding this thing.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Mik View Post
    If you have a snowmobile or ski/snowboard you have the right gear.
    A good set of snowmobiling bibs are just about worth their weight in GOLD once the thermometer starts dipping seriously!

Spyder Garage

10 degrees above is my current bottom line. No snow or ice on the roads either. Too many big suv's and pickup trucks to take you out if anything bad happens.

I have rode as low as -10 below zero--but that was another time and place.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is almost out of the riding range of some of my more sissyfied snowmobiling buddies!
    Now I can make them feel REALLY bad!

Spyder Garage

Default TEMPS?

IT NEVER GETS TOO COLD...
    SAM_0312.jpg