Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mounting your Spyder

In the month that I've had my Spyder, I find myself walking around it to mount for the left! Now, I always knew you should mount a horse from the left side because that's how Matt Dillon and John Wayne did it. When I rode 2-wheelers, I mounted from the left because they lean that way on the side stand.

When I realized I was doing it, I started mounting for wherever was nearest, but I'm wondering if y'all have encountered this, too.

Hmmmmm...... Is it the other way around Down Under?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From the left side only...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mounting it from the left came from the cavalry, when you wore your sword on your left hip. (Assuming you were right handed).

Personally, I prefer taking a run from the back and vaulting onto the seat, Hollywood style.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default giblets

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Mounting it from the left came from the cavalry, when you wore your sword on your left hip. (Assuming you were right handed).

Personally, I prefer taking a run from the back and vaulting onto the seat, Hollywood style.
    That sounds really hard on the giblets mount from left side, from many years of two wheelers.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

If you rode a 2wheeler from the left.If not I would still mount it from the left.It seems the RIGHT thing to do

Ivor
    Last edited by Ivorspyder; 10-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I originally found byself mounting from left side only but now pretty much which ever side is closer. Also mounting from the rear will be real hard on the gibblets if you have a backrest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish that I could vault onto it from the rear...
    There would be so many style points added for that!

Spyder Garage

Default Run, Jump, land softly !!

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post

.................................................................................

Spyder Garage

What do you think "Pardner"? You don't want your to go into limp mode because it sensed unusual weight on the right hand side of the vehicle compared to programmed inputs.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did I do it wrong?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I only mount from the left, It's a holdover from 40+ and still riding Motorcycles.
    But if you mount your Spyder from the right side, and your dealer picks that up on BUDS,
    Most likely your warranty will be null and void.,
    I heard that had happen to my friend's brother in law's sister's cousin.

Spyder Garage

Mounted from the left on two wheelers. I mount from the right on my spyder because my right leg is my dominate leg. (I played basketball, I'm left handed and always used my right leg for layups)

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Almost always mount up from the left side. Seems easier for me to swing my right leg over the than my left leg...I'm right handed and guess I'm right legged as well.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Almost always mount up from the left side. Seems easier for me to swing my right leg over the than my left leg...I'm right handed and guess I'm right legged as well. Rather it is probably out of habit from riding 2 wheelers for many years.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

My two cent's worth says, whatever floats your boat. Which ever way you wanna swing. Do what makes you VERY HAPPY. I DO!!!!
    Enjoy the Passage of Time with

Spyder Garage

We mount from the left. We never rode and just do it because well....... that is the way you get on a motorcycle!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I wish that I could vault onto it from the rear...
    There would be so many style points added for that!
    OUCH!! hope you wear a cup
    2012 Spyder RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    My two cent's worth says, whatever floats your boat. Which ever way you wanna swing. Do what makes you VERY HAPPY. I DO!!!!

Which side do you mount your boat?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Most of the time on my Spyder I am lowered onto it by a heavy duty crane and placed in position.

Spyder Garage

As was said, horses are mounted from the left because that originated when calvalry wore swords. A right-handed swordsman would hang his sword on the left. Motorcycles and bicycles ended up with the kickstand on the left, so most riders mount from the low side...which is easier. (US motorcycle officers are taught to mount and dismount from the right, in many locations, because it is safer to get on and off away from traffic.) Most riders learned the left side mounting habit early on, and continue to do what they did on their bicycles and motorcycles (or horses). I usually mount from the left, even on a Spyder or motorcycle with a centerstand, for the same reasons (habit), but my wife mounts from the right, because her bionic right knee doesn't bend as well, making mounting from the left more difficult. Do whatever pleases you. There are some good reasons to mount from the right, but it is seldom done. Maybe you can start a new trend.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that "Alaska's" right; you don't want to throw the Spyder into Limp Mode because of unusual inputs!

Spyder Garage

Default Minority report

Started to mount from the right side when I bought my first Spyder. Reason, it was a SE5 and I typically start it warming up while I put on the rest of my gear before mounting. Why the right? Most times I do not shift into neutral before I shut it down and need to depress the brake peddle to start it. Therefore I am on the right side. Works for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chisel_maker View Post
    Did I do it wrong?
    It looks good to me!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    I don't know any taxidermists in my neck of the woods that do it. (mount a Spyder)
    Mounted err... spider
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default RIGHT

LEFT is RIGHT, n RIGHT is WRONG....
    i hear that goes for 'boy earrings' too....
    014.jpg