Spyder Garage

Default brake sensor adjustment

I have noticed that it seems on some rare occassions that when I go to start WebRyder only the lights on the dash light and there is a whering sound not at all like the engine trying to start more like a dead battery. Now just today I installed my battery after charging it and when I went to start it the same thing happen again. I checked every thing and it should have started so I tried again but instead of just pressing hard on the brake with my heal (SealFloorboards) I stomped down on the brake hard and it started.

So is there an adjustment for the sensor that tells the monitor the brake is pressed? If so how do I adjust it.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default ???

Let us know.

arntufun

When you turn the key on, your dash is supposed to light up and you will hear a whinning sound before you start it. That is totally normal.

As for your brake sensor question............I believe it's a microswitch (2) that are technically non adjustable. You might be able to bend the tab on it slightly, but I have never heard that anyone has ever had to mess with one. I would jack it up and check it from underneath while pushing brake pedal before you start messing with it. You will hear two small clicks from both microswitches. Only one of the switches is for the computer and I think the other is for the brake lights.

I'm not diagnosing your problem, I'm only telling you what tells the computer your brake pedal is pressed down on a SM5 so if your SE is set up different someone will correct me and ignore this post.
    Last edited by arntufun; 10-26-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    When you turn the key on, your dash is supposed to light up and you will hear a whinning sound before you start it. That is totally normal.

As for your brake sensor question............I believe it's a microswitch (2) that are technically non adjustable. You might be able to bend the tab on it slightly, but I have never heard that anyone has ever had to mess with one. I would jack it up and check it from underneath while pushing brake pedal before you start messing with it. You will hear two small clicks from both microswitches. Only one of the switches is for the computer and I think the other is for the brake lights.

I'm not diagnosing your problem, I'm only telling you what tells the computer your brake pedal is pressed down on a SM5 so if your SE is set up different someone will correct me and ignore this post.
    That's the kind of information I was looking for and kind of what I kind of thought. I will see if I can see the switch and maybe take a pic and post for others.

Does anyone have a parts breakdown for the 2009 GS SE5 that shows the swithch and associated conections?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default brake pedal switch

there is a microswitch at the pedal/master cylinder and a brake pressure switch in the abs/stability module. recommend not messing with either. if the spyder is in neutral, no brake pressure is needed to start engine. try and see if the problem occurs in neutral, if yes i would look into a battery/starter problem. the sinchronization of the pedal/pressure sensors is dealer only unfortunately, i suspect that if you had an issue with them you would also have fault warnings and codes.

Spyder Garage

Try swapping the relays in your fuse box. I had one that was intermittent for a few months and it led me to believe that there was any number of other things wrong with the bike.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....