Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Paddle Shifter Switch

My 2010 Canam with the auto transmission would not manually downshift and also had hard time getting it to go into reverse. The bike has 3,600 miles on it and out of warranty by about 6 months. I am the 2nd owner. Dealer says the switch is bad and its costing me $300 to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and what are the chances I can get Canam to help out on the repairs?

Spyder Garage

Default YIKES

YIKES...... $300, WOW...! ! !
    this ain't right BRP... this switch doesn't cost you but $15....
    the best way for a company to go bankrupt, is to screw it's customers over... prices like this will scare people away.... BRP, get the message, this just isn't right....

Spyder Garage

Mine gave out at a little under 20k. Was fixed under warranty. You can ask your dealer to go to bat for you with BRP and see if they will cover it (since it only has 3600 miles). When mine acted up the mechanic said it is something he has seen before and replaced a few of them. I will be back there to pick up my bike in a day or two and I will ask him how much the out of warranty fix would cost so I can give you at least a second price to compare.

CAC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Was your bike still under warranty when Canam helped out? I'm anxious to hear what the out of warranty cost was at your dealer. Thanks for the input.

Spyder Garage

Similar issue for me recently. The throttle linkage came apart and the RTS (2010--28,000 miles) would not shift out of second gear. That was about a $100 fix.

I also had problems with my cruise control--the switch had to be replaced. $275.00 for that fix. My RTS was out of warranty of course.

You folks are absoulutely correct when complaining about the high cost of repair parts. It almost harbors on "gouging" on the customers. This is a factor that could drive a lot of people away as the older machines start to rack up the miles and repair parts are needed. I am going to see how the next riding season goes as far as repairs and problems on my 2010. So far, nothing major with the new 2011 with 5000 miles on it.

The ,s are very expensive to start with and the $300 oil change services, the $800 valve adjustment service, and the high costs of repair parts begin to add up pretty quick. I may be headed for retirement soon, and without millions of $'s to supply me for the rest of my life, I will have to make some serious decisions as to what I can afford or not.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-26-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to sound trite...
    But they are an expensive bike; built with lots of fancy parts...
    Go price some BMW bike parts if you think that you're the only one who's getting the short end of the stick
    Sorry...

Let's see what Chris comes up with for a price so that we'll know for sure if it's the parts, or the dealer...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer told me the switch cost $140.

Spyder Garage

Default Paddle shifter Woes

my dealer told me earlier this year that my shifter was giving codes to the computer that when you down shift sometimes it does not respond so while my warranty is still in effect i had them order it and replace it

now as of a week ago i have had numerous cases of the dreaded Check Transmission scrolling across the screen due to it not responding to the down shift request
    it is a pain to get into neutral and reverse it auto shifts fine slowing down so i do not think its in the valve pack in the transmission

called the dealers mechanic he said bring it in to plug it into the computer to see what it says

sigh another 140 mile ride to the dealer one way

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP WARRANTY

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
    My 2010 Canam with the auto transmission would not manually downshift and also had hard time getting it to go into reverse. The bike has 3,600 miles on it and out of warranty by about 6 months. I am the 2nd owner. Dealer says the switch is bad and its costing me $300 to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and what are the chances I can get Canam to help out on the repairs?
    BRP has a very poor warranty and is not willing to work with you on any thing that has to do with warranty. As I have found, out and not real willing to work with their dealers. They just want to sell, no service after the sale

Tony Holbrook

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So then I'm guessing that the rest of that $300 is for a couple of hours of labor...

I don't know what you could do about that...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I stated n here a few weeks ago about mine going out while up shifiting, down shifiting was fine. $400 for the repair. Also have you priced and alignment yet for the spyder . ouch!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

oh, yeah between getting to it to look at it and getting the part and actually doing the work it took a little over 3 weeks to get the work done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OUCH!

Spyder Garage

RE: comparison to other "expensive" bikes. Do the others break down as often as some of the things that happen on the ?

I have owned 40 plus "other" bikes. Sorry, no Beemers, HD's, or Italians. Just rice burners---at least three from every brand out there.

Had only one breakdown in 40 years--a carbureator needle valve caused a gas leak, and a dealer in a town close to where I was at the time, fixed it , under warranty, in a couple hours. This was my 1983 Venture.

All the others have only needed oil changes, filters, and annual tune ups. My final oil change on my Kawi Vulcan was $58.00.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would be happy if Canam covered the cost of the part and I covered the labor. I was going to contact BRP/Canam direct but I haven't been able to find the contact information; it's almost like they're hiding it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default PHONE NUMBERS

Here is the phone numbers I have for BRP they are as follows
    1-888-272-9222 this number is for customer support
    1-715-848-4957 or
    1-819-566-3366 THESE TWO NUMBERS ARE FOR ANY ONE WITH GENERAL QUESTIONS
    Good Luck
    Tony Holbrook
    UOTE=Buckeye Bob;535030]I would be happy if Canam covered the cost of the part and I covered the labor. I was going to contact BRP/Canam direct but I haven't been able to find the contact information; it's almost like they're hiding it.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an ok cost..just get it fix, and enjoy your spyder. Time is money, and you are not having spyder time by worrying about the cost of the faulty part..

Spyder Garage

Was your bike still under warranty when Canam helped out? I'm anxious to hear what the out of warranty cost was at your dealer. Thanks for the input.
    Bob, Mine was in warranty. I am going to my dealer tomorrow to pick up my Spyder after some other work. I will ask what would have been the cost for out of warranty replacment of the paddle.

I was gong to go on a tirade in response to those that think just because they have owned bikes for years that they should have the same expectatins about the Spyder.

But instead:

First production bike:
    Honda: 1947 http://world.honda.com/timeline/motor/
    Kawasaki 1953 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasak...cle_%26_Engine
    Harley : 1903 http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...tory/1900.html
    Spyder: 2008 http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...oadster/?ti=v2

2008 ... really? That's like four years ago. This thing should just work like my iphone, or my computer, or my dvr, or my unnamed gadget that I quickly lost my dissapointment in because it had no moving parts and could be fixed with a free firmware update.

Bob I know it is frustrating but stay with it. I will let you know tomorrow what they say about the cost.

CAC

Spyder Garage

Default paddle shifter

my was said to be in need of a new paddle in the near future maybe. they said the part cost approx $150.00 and about 1/12 hrs to install because they had to go deep into the to route the wire. hope this helped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 08 se5 View Post
    my was said to be in need of a new paddle in the near future maybe. they said the part cost approx $150.00 and about 1/12 hrs to install because they had to go deep into the to route the wire. hope this helped.
    Just got back and my dealer mechanic said the same thing that 08se5 said. My guys charge $75 an hour so it would have been $150 for the part and about $115 for the 1.5 hrs labor. ($265)The BRP time to change out the part is listed at two hours so they might be charging your for the full time the book says it takes and I don't know their hourly rate.

Also, it's not just the paddle switch itself, the whole shifting/reverse assembly is one unit that bolts to the handle bar and feeds all the way down, that is why it is $150 for the part.

CAC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it sounds as if the dealer is certainly in line with what should be expected...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their input and information. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and asked him to go back to Canam/BRP to see if they would help. The response I got was he would but sounded like I was really putting him out to make the call. I bought the bike used off Ebay so maybe that was part of the attitude even though I bought it a year ago when I lived in Louisville. I will call Canam tomorrow and if I don't get anywhere, I will write a letter to their CEO in Canada. If I end up getting anywhere with this, I will let everyone know. Again, thanks for your help.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am happy to report that the dealer called me back this morning after talking to Canam and they have agreed to provide the paddle switch and I pay the labor. I'm very satisfied with the outcome.