Spyder Garage

Default BRP Comfort Seat vs Corbin/Ultimate Seat

can anyone give any feedback on the difference between the BRP Comfort Seat and the other aftermarket seats?

it seems like the Comfort seat is 2" further back vs 1.5 for the Ultimate and Corbin

anyone switched out a comfort seat for the others and why?
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

I switched a Comfort seat with a Utopia backrest for an Ultimate Tall Boy. The measurement is a bit deceptive but even the Tall Boy is not as far back as the Comfort seat. I got it for the way the seat is made - a little wider and a higher lumbar back. I also like the ease of removing the backrest - could not do that with the Comfort seat. One thing ... the passenger area for the Comfort seat is smaller (roughly 10") and with the backrest it is a tight squeeze for most.

In the end, it all boils down to what you are most comfortable with.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I switched a Comfort seat with a Utopia backrest for an Ultimate Tall Boy. The measurement is a bit deceptive but even the Tall Boy is not as far back as the Comfort seat. I got it for the way the seat is made - a little wider and a higher lumbar back. I also like the ease of removing the backrest - could not do that with the Comfort seat. One thing ... the passenger area for the Comfort seat is smaller (roughly 10") and with the backrest it is a tight squeeze for most.

thanks for that info

I dont have to worry about carrying a passenger (except for my small dog....)

I have the stock seat with a Utopia backrest and since the comfort seat is about 1/2 the cost of the others I am just curious.....
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have NO regrets on buying then Ultimate seat and you won't either.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    can anyone give any feedback on the difference between the BRP Comfort Seat and the other aftermarket seats? it seems like the Comfort seat is 2" further back vs 1.5 for the Ultimate and Corbin.
    I'm not tall (5'10") but I find the stock RT seat cramps my knees somewhat. On my 2005 Yamaha VStar I put pullback risers for a more laid-back riding position and then replaced the stock saddle with a Mustang saddle and backrest. It is the most comfortable bike imaginable on a long ride. But, I'm making the switch to Spyder RT for wife and I and want the same comfort level I had with my Yamaha if possible. I don't care about aesthetics that much - I want that laid-back touring bike comfort again.

Any suggestions? BRP comfort seat? The Ultimate? The Corbin? (All with backrest)

I have the Tri-axial handlebars, so reach shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-30-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: emphasize some words
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Being a frugal sort I looked at the Comfort Seat as being the least costly option to accommodate my tall frame when compared to Corbin and Ultimate seats for longsters although I had not even a test sit with those two brands. I have been very satisfied with the Comfort Seat and can ride comfortably all day long. I'm looking forward to see how I'll do on the long trek to Red Rocks. I do not use a backrest. If I reach a point where I find the Comfort Seat is no longer so comfortable I will fry the plastic on a Russell Day Long and make the switch during the winter months.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

One thing ... the passenger area for the Comfort seat is smaller (roughly 10") and with the backrest it is a tight squeeze for most.
    According to their website, the Ultimate backrest is a tad thinner, compensating a bit for setting the driver's position back. That might be a consideration for moving to an Ultimate seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ultimate seat (Tall)is very comfortable compared to the stock seat I have it with the Tri Bars too. The passenger looses a bit of room since the driver seat sits farther back

One of the forum members is selling his RDL seat in the WTB area.

Spyder Garage

I agree,also had the comfort seat,switched to the ultimate tall boy and have been happy since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    can anyone give any feedback on the difference between the BRP Comfort Seat and the other aftermarket seats?

it seems like the Comfort seat is 2" further back vs 1.5 for the Ultimate and Corbin

anyone switched out a comfort seat for the others and why?

I did a write up on this very thing. I bought all three and rode all three. Pictures have measurements, etc.

Go here.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody mentioned the Russell Day Long.......so I will.

I've had them on the last 3 bikes I've owned and have been very pleased.
    They are good to work with; very helpful.

Their seats are now available with "cloth" tops which should ventilate better, and the available colors for the tops can give you a two-tone seat.

Not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Ultimate seat (Tall)is very comfortable compared to the stock seat I have it with the Tri Bars too. The passenger looses a bit of room since the driver seat sits farther back. One of the forum members is selling his RDL seat in the WTB area.
    Yes, I noticed that too. I think another member snagged it though. I was also unsure whether it would be an exact replacement for a 2014 RT seat; do you know?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I did a write up on this very thing. I bought all three and rode all three. Pictures have measurements, etc. Go here.
    That's very helpful. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default seat

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Being a frugal sort I looked at the Comfort Seat as being the least costly option to accommodate my tall frame when compared to Corbin and Ultimate seats for longsters although I had not even a test sit with those two brands. I have been very satisfied with the Comfort Seat and can ride comfortably all day long. I'm looking forward to see how I'll do on the long trek to Red Rocks. I do not use a backrest. If I reach a point where I find the Comfort Seat is no longer so comfortable I will fry the plastic on a Russell Day Long and make the switch during the winter months.
    I have prettymuch same setup as you 2014 RTS I'm 6'1" . 8000 miles on the comfort seat with no backrest having no problems at all
    Paul

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Nobody mentioned the Russell Day Long.......so I will. I've had them on the last 3 bikes I've owned and have been very pleased. They are good to work with; very helpful. Their seats are now available with "cloth" tops which should ventilate better, and the available colors for the tops can give you a two-tone seat. Not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.
    I've heard the RDL is an outstanding way to go because it is a completely custom fit. Couple of questions;

1. How long were you without your seat (since you have to send in your seat to have it customized)
    2. What are your thoughts on it being so completely tailored to you it may not work for the next potential owner?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yes, I noticed that too. I think another member snagged it though. I was also unsure whether it would be an exact replacement for a 2014 RT seat; do you know?
    Yes it was as I inquired about it too. You may want to PM him to see if its still for sale..

It could take months before a RDL is made for you..

His RDL was similar to my Ultimate Tall boy seat. And it included both back rests.The passenger was taller and may need to be resized so you can open your trunk. His seat is heated too..
    Last edited by trikermutha; 07-30-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ultimate seat (Tall)is very comfortable compared to the stock seat I have it with the Tri Bars too. The passenger looses a bit of room since the driver seat sits farther back. One of the forum members is selling his RDL seat in the WTB area.
    I just re-read this and realized you were talking about a RDL for sale, not the Can-Am tan comfort seat also for sale (which has been sold I believe). The RDL would be better for my needs I think, since I'm 5'9. Thanks - I'm checking into it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. How long were you without your seat (since you have to send in your seat to have it customized)
    2. What are your thoughts on it being so completely tailored to you it may not work for the next potential owner?
    1. I honestly don't remember because I've always managed to locate a "spare" seat to have them modify. My guess is a minimum of 3 weeks, including transit time. Probably longer in the peak summer season. But they are good about scheduling too........and I remember that the guess they gave me was pretty much right on.

2. There is only so much that you can do to change a seat. I am pretty sure that it will be at least as good as stock for the next user........unless they are really unique somehow........OR YOU are really unique somehow and seat modifications are really radical.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could take months before a RDL is made for you..
    Yes but that does NOT mean that you will be without your seat for months.

IF.....you pay attention to what they tell you AND send in your seat when they say, you shouldn't be without it very long at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just re-read this and realized you were talking about a RDL for sale, not the Can-Am tan comfort seat also for sale (which has been sold I believe). The RDL would be better for my needs I think, since I'm 5'9. Thanks - I'm checking into it.
    I believe it would be. Mark the owner of the RL was very helpful

Spyder Garage

I have owned and used two of the three you mention. Each and every owned (5) required a replacement to the OEM mush seat. Even before I had back and hip issues, one hour and I had to get off.

I used Corbin seats twice. On the 2008 and the 2010. Over 50,000 Corbin miles. You either like them or not. They are very hard (the likers call it "supportive"). I did like the built in gas doors on both. I thought seating position was about the same.

BRP Comfort seats: I have now owned three. One on the 09, 11, and 14. Cost wise, at about $595 they are a bargain. They move the butt back about two inches. The 2014 version is more comfortable than the 09 or the 11--but all have been satisfactory. I can ride all day on the comfort seat.

Good luck with the hunt. Seats, like helmets and other gear, are very personal. One's like, is another's dislike.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-30-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe it would be. Mark the owner of the RL was very helpful
    Turns out the RDL is for smaller riders so won't work for me. He has re-listed it at a lower price I believe.
    2014 RTL Platinum