Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    This rider did three things wrong.

First he took the wrong track into the corner. By that I mean he started on the inside of the curve. Doing so put him to the outside of the curve too late to make the corner without crossing the line. You need to always start a corner at the outside edge of a turn and then tighten it as you go into it to avoid an oncoming vehicle from crossing over into your lane.

At the same time he was not paying attention to the road -- but rather giving attention to the camera person.

Lastly, once he realized he came to the outside of the corner, and couldn't lean any more, the turned his head and looked right at the "vet" -- which straightened-up the bike and put him right into what he was looking at. He should have turned his head further to the right at the section of the road where he needed to go. He might have had a slim chance of making it, but for certain, he would have missed the "vet" -- mostly because of the efforts of the vet-driver pulling off to his right.

If there is ever anything one needs to learn about riding, it is that you must look at where you want to go at all times... because you WILL go where you look. If you look at the ditch... you'll go into the ditch. If you look at the other lane... you'll go into the other lane.

EDIT: Here are two links that explain what I am saying.

http://easttnbikers.com/forum/index....h=7828%3bimage

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...lls/RS-cc2.htm
    You are 100% correct in every statement. Hope many of the others read what you said.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default M109 rider down, almost

Here is another photo of a guy that circulated on the M109riders site. He recovered, but with my old bones, I would still be sore. I have ridden the Dragon more than I can count. Even taken some right handers low enough for my cobra swepts to drag and slightly lift the rear tire. But when this happens, I know it is time to reign the hooligan in me in a little bit. I also study my photos over the past 8 years (go atleast once a year). The first year, I looked for, and at the photographer, and notice that I almost always cross the line after doing that. Now, when I see the tents, I intentionally make myself not look at him and instead pay close attention to the road and oncoming traffic. It makes for a much nicer picture.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

One reason the "Dragon" is not on my bucket list. When I get the urge, there are a couple "Dragon" style roads I can go on. Most of the time, no traffic, so don't have to worry about the "other guy."

Also, one reason I don't do group rides any more. I keep it between the lines, but you cannot always count on the other drivers. I do not want to be responsible for anyone getting injured.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

always remember the bike goes where you are looking. First rule of bike riding. to bad he didn't learn that in biker one- o- one. But we all do stupid stuff sometimes. Don't we. AND THE PAIN GETS WORST AS WE GET OLDER.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

It always looks so peaceful and painless in slow motion..hope he was not too badly injured. Do hope he sees the error of his ways and doesn't blame someone/something else...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

His mistakes are very apparent, starting with excessive panning for the camera instead of looking ahead and preparing for the upcoming curve. His speed was too high, causing him to have to fight the curve. It appears that he panicked when his bike began scraping, and he responded by reducing the lean which began his travel to the opposing lane. The final mistake was fixing his eyes onto the oncoming vehicle, and we all know what happens when you do that.

I know, I sound like an armchair quarterback, but as an experienced rider, this is what I see.

It's my understanding that his injuries weren't fatal, which is a good thing. I wonder if he continued riding and how he's doing today.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Over four years old...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Over four years old...
    I think we are all intelligent enough to figure that out. Thanks anyway professor.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Yup! Way old post. Some threads should stay un-resurrected, but for me, the information here seemed relevant. So, I answered again, four years later.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    This rider did three things wrong.

First he took the wrong track into the corner. By that I mean he started on the inside of the curve. Doing so put him to the outside of the curve too late to make the corner without crossing the line. You need to always start a corner at the outside edge of a turn and then tighten it as you go into it to avoid an oncoming vehicle from crossing over into your lane.

At the same time he was not paying attention to the road -- but rather giving attention to the camera person.

Lastly, once he realized he came to the outside of the corner, and couldn't lean any more, the turned his head and looked right at the "vet" -- which straightened-up the bike and put him right into what he was looking at. He should have turned his head further to the right at the section of the road where he needed to go. He might have had a slim chance of making it, but for certain, he would have missed the "vet" -- mostly because of the efforts of the vet-driver pulling off to his right.

If there is ever anything one needs to learn about riding, it is that you must look at where you want to go at all times... because you WILL go where you look. If you look at the ditch... you'll go into the ditch. If you look at the other lane... you'll go into the other lane.

EDIT: Here are two links that explain what I am saying.

http://easttnbikers.com/forum/index....h=7828%3bimage

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...lls/RS-cc2.htm
    Believe me, I can attest to all that! Been there, Done that!

Spyder Garage

And the info (& warning) is just as relevant today as it was when the OP first went up!! Ignore at your peril!!

Thanks for the reminder!

Spyder Garage

But bad bike driver.... Hope he ok...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

He still had available lean angle - kept calm and looked through the curve he could have made it.

Of course, I wasn't there so I don't know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One reason the "Dragon" is not on my bucket list. When I get the urge, there are a couple "Dragon" style roads I can go on. Most of the time, no traffic, so don't have to worry about the "other guy."
    When the Owner's Event was in Maggie Valley a few years back, me and the GF did a group ride around the waterfalls the day before we planned to do the Dragon. That was my first Spyder "group ride"-- and my last. Just too many people doing too many things, not paying attention to the road in front or the people behind.

The next day, for the Dragon, we rode up there at the very crack of dawn, a couple hours before the group rides made their way down. We had the road almost completely to ourselves, and had a blast going up and down it a couple of times. We left right as other riders were starting to crowd it.

Bottom line: The Dragon is like Christmas shopping, you just have to plan ahead and beat the rush and it's a very fun road you'll have to yourself. But if you go at 3 pm on a Saturday in the middle of June, you deserve every bit of stupidity you invited upon yourself.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And the info (& warning) is just as relevant today as it was when the OP first went up!! Ignore at your peril!!

Thanks for the reminder!
    Very well said

Spyder Garage

This exemplifies why I would never ride a Harley, they don't corner!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Harleys can corner just fine... if their riders know what they're doing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

He either did not know how to...or forgot how to...counter steer.

I've ridden Triumphs exactly like that one. They're very neutral riding bikes that are forgiving and a dream to ride.

Anyway, both hands on the bars and counter steering when he ran out of lean would have worked wonders.

Shoulda coulda...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC