Spyder Garage

Default What in the vent tube ??

Just bought a 2008 GS and when changing the oil I seen (see pic) orange stuff in the vent tube any ideas what it is and if I should do anything ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder-Bob View Post
    Just bought a 2008 GS and when changing the oil I seen (see pic) orange stuff in the vent tube any ideas what it is and if I should do anything ?
    It looks like a previous owners attempt to fix a problem with excess oil getting in the air box. I would suggest taking it off and finding out what that stuff is. Some folks have put a piece of open cell foam in the hose to control the problem. If it is a paper towel or something like that get rid of it. I understand there is a proper fix that can be done when it is time for the valves to be adjusted. Do a search for oil blow by or somthing like that and there are many threads on the suject.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

That is an aftermarket piece of hose and clamps so my guess is thats foam in the hose. Obviously a blow by fix. Looks like it needs to be changed out or cleaned at the very least. As stated there are better fixes for this. Search for Bajarons oil catch can.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a blow-by fix, I put a much smaller piece of foam in my 08 [sugar cube size] To completely stop the blow -by [oil in air box] Way back in May of 08, After 3 years and about 19 thousand miles i never had to change it, .
    On yours i would change it and use a piece of new foam 1/3 the size that's there now.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys you're right on the money what a Rub Goldberg I found when I open that tube screen foam and duct tape thanks to your feedback.

i will be going with the Bajaron's oil can looks professional !

Can I use the same foam as a lawn mower filter ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

arntufun

Thanks guys you're right on the money what a Rub Goldberg I found when I open that tube screen foam and duct tape thanks to your feedback.

i will be going with the Bajaron's oil can looks professional !

Can I use the same foam as a lawn mower filter ??

NOT SO FAST WITH THE GOLDBERG COMMENT !!!!!!

The fix you already have is a method used by many to prevent blow by. Just because it is a clear tube and not solid (assuming you mean less attractive) does not make it any less effective. Replace the foam in the tube get rid of the duct tape and ride the thing. To be honest, the clear tube is a smart idea to check the status of the foam inside.

Rons method works as well, but what you have is proven to work on many many many machines including mine (- the duct tape).
    Last edited by arntufun; 10-23-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

NOT SO FAST WITH THE GOLDBERG COMMENT !!!!!!

The fix you already have is a method used by many to prevent blow by. Just because it is a clear tube and not solid (assuming you mean less attractive) does not make it any less effective. Replace the foam in the tube get rid of the duct tape and ride the thing. To be honest, the clear tube is a smart idea to check the status of the foam inside.

Rons method works as well, but what you have is proven to work on many many many machines including mine (- the duct tape).
    I was using the foam before i joined Spyderloves, Back in 08.
    The foam was used by street mechanics when they first started with recirculating crankcase vents [PCV's 60's ?] to stop oil from fouling the air filters in cars.