Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT - New Analog Fuel Gauge Bulletin

BRP has posted a new quality control bulletin (#2012-12) for 2011 & 2012 RT-A&C, S, Techno and LTD model analog fuel gauges that have a problem described as "Analog fuel gauge needle does not have any dampening causing a variable fuel level reading". We know it as the bouncing fuel gauge...

We have to verify that the problem exists, the bulletin even says "NOTE: Repair Only if the Described Symptoms Exist". If so, the gauge is replaced with an updated gauge and a software update for the cluster is installed through BUDS. The new analog fuel gauge has a stepper motor that eliminates or reduces the bounce.

I've only seen this on one 2011 and up model, so I don't know how widespread this is...

Have a wonderful day!
    ShawnFZR

Photographer & Technician
    BRP Can-Am Roadster Certified Technician
    Spyder Tech Blog
    spydertechnician.com
    shawnsmoak.com
    fzrphotography.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They haven't fixed his one yet?
    Maybe I've got too many years of riding snowmobiles; but the float-style gauges never bothered me. Just ride by the odometer and you're good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFZR View Post
    BRP has posted a new quality control bulletin (#2012-12) for 2011 & 2012 RT-A&C, S, Techno and LTD model analog fuel gauges that have a problem described as "Analog fuel gauge needle does not have any dampening causing a variable fuel level reading". We know it as the bouncing fuel gauge...

We have to verify that the problem exists, the bulletin even says "NOTE: Repair Only if the Described Symptoms Exist". If so, the gauge is replaced with an updated gauge and a software update for the cluster is installed through BUDS. The new analog fuel gauge has a stepper motor that eliminates or reduces the bounce.

I've only seen this on one 2011 and up model, so I don't know how widespread this is...

Have a wonderful day!
    It was pretty widespread on the 2010's but of course they don't include them as they are mostly out of warranty. I finally gave up on my 3rd gauge and just disconnected it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Mine is also a 2010 and had two gas gauges before I disconnected it. I also disconnected the gas gauge on the 2011 because akspyderlady did not like the needle movement.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for a reliable fix. Mine crapped out at about 6K.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gauge

Have a wonderful day!

I wonder if this includes "misreading" of fuel.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default my 2010 has always bounced.

Have a wonderful day!
    From what I've read this has been a problem from the get-go on the RT's. (mine has always bounced) I bought it new in 2011 and is still in warranty, as it looks like they have finally gotten a fix, I wonder if it will be done on 2010's that are still under warranty?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default bounce...............

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel gauge

I am on my 4th one now, seem to be pretty steady now.

Spyder Garage

Have 11 RT and the gauge bounced like a ping pong ball. They ordered part and in the interim, I unplugged the gauge and the digital display appeared. Loved it. When the new analog came in, they plugged it in and away I went. Just waiting until it goes bad - then I'll unplug it again and use the digital display. Or, I may just go ahead and unplug it and call it good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gauge reporting wrong

I have the same problem on my new RT LTD the dealer has ordered a replacement

Have a wonderful day!

Spyder Garage

My maintenance dealer has ordered my replacement..

AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT - New Analog Fuel Gauge Bulletin

My 2010 RTS is on its second gauge, and so far nice and steady (has about 20k miles on it).

Hope I didn't just tempt fate!

Bill

Spyder Garage

my brother and I are waiting for our dealer to get them in so they can do the replacement and update
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    I wonder if this includes "misreading" of fuel.
    You know, you might have something there.

Picked up bike on the 10th with a fuel reading on the analog gauge of just over 5/8 tank. Drove it 98 miles until at 1/8 tank and gassed up using only 3.6 gals and a reading of just over 5/8 tank. I was sure that I had a gauge problem. I placed a 1 gal can in the frunk and went off to test the limits so I could interpret the gauge delt to me.

Before I thought to stop to put gas in the can, she shut down - out of gas at 108 miles! This time, filling up my RT-S took just over 6 gals? Barely over 6 gal, not 6.6 on an empty tank? This time the gauge needle was all the way to the full mark, though.

While I'm not totally cinvinced that my gauge is working correctly, I am willing to concede that I may have "misread", "misfueled", and certainly "misjudged" the limits of a brand new bike. Don't fret, I'll get smarter. (I told my wife the same thing nearly 43 years ago and she's still waiting.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    You know, you might have something there.

Picked up bike on the 10th with a fuel reading on the analog gauge of just over 5/8 tank. Drove it 98 miles until at 1/8 tank and gassed up using only 3.6 gals and a reading of just over 5/8 tank. I was sure that I had a gauge problem. I placed a 1 gal can in the frunk and went off to test the limits so I could interpret the gauge delt to me.

Before I thought to stop to put gas in the can, she shut down - out of gas at 108 miles! This time, filling up my RT-S took just over 6 gals? Barely over 6 gal, not 6.6 on an empty tank? This time the gauge needle was all the way to the full mark, though.

While I'm not totally cinvinced that my gauge is working correctly, I am willing to concede that I may have "misread", "misfueled", and certainly "misjudged" the limits of a brand new bike. Don't fret, I'll get smarter. (I told my wife the same thing nearly 43 years ago and she's still waiting.)
    While the tank capacity is listed as 6.6 gallons, that includes head spacwe and the volume above the fill opening. The usable capacity is about 6.0 gallons. Do not overfill! The fuel can splash and push past the vent and flow into the evap canister...creating a gas odor and ruining the canister. Fill slowly, with the nozzle barely inserted into the tank, and stop when fuel just begins to spit out the vent slots. Most of us go by our mileage and the trip meter. The gauge is just a rough indication.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks nice in the dash, but the trip odometer's the real gauge...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default filling correctly

I've been trying to figure out exactly when it's full in a little over 11 k miles I still struggle trying to fill it to the same level every time. I wonder if I haven't saturated my canister already? I sure do notice when I'm running below half a tank the fuel smell I read somewhere on here it boils if not full. so I usually fill up at 80 or 90 miles and been noticing I'm lucky to get 20 mpg! guess I could go slower but hardly ever drive anywhere except to work lately.
    never sure if it's cause I filled to a different level or what. for sure when I park it in the garage at night if it's not real cool I make a point of putting my box fan on it to cool off before I close the garage door. has anyone seen loose clamps on the RTs? cause I smell gas if it's not full. and about 70 degrees when I pull in.
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White